how do I stop being representative payee?

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Mon, 07/01/2013 - 13:47

I have been my brother's re-payee(sp?) for several years and feel that he is more than capable of handling his own money. What is the process to change this arrangement?

F. Ervin (not verified)
Tue, 05/03/2016 - 09:04 Permalink

I just became rep for my nephew in dec. 2016. His check stopped in January. February they sent a letter saying he had been 10,000 over paid which his mom had him and was rep at that time am I still require to pay that back because in over him now


In reply to by F. Ervin (not verified)

Tue, 05/03/2016 - 09:21 Permalink

Hi F,
I would contact the SSA about this, they may have said your nephew had been overpaid in error, it also may be that the mother would be obligated to repay the money as she was his representative during the time in which he was overpaid.

ShanaB (not verified)
Mon, 05/09/2016 - 22:37 Permalink

When someone goes down to switch their payee, how long before the new payee is active as the new representative payee? Thanks


In reply to by ShanaB (not verified)

Tue, 05/10/2016 - 09:40 Permalink

Hi Shana,
The SSA would be able to let you know, it may be as soon as your next disability payment depending on when you had it changed.

Tracy (not verified)
Tue, 05/10/2016 - 09:18 Permalink

What do I do in the case that I feel I am capable of handling my own Affairs and my own money and don't need to payee


In reply to by Tracy (not verified)

Tue, 05/10/2016 - 09:40 Permalink

Hi Tracy,
If the SSA does not require you to have a payee due to your disability, you can contact them and make yourself your own payee.

Sue (not verified)
Wed, 05/11/2016 - 08:00 Permalink

I am payee for my grand daughter. I have not seen her for awhile. I send her money but with contact. I would like to stop being her payee, and stop her ssi benefits. How do I do this.


In reply to by Sue (not verified)

Wed, 05/11/2016 - 10:48 Permalink

Hi Sue,
I'm not sure you would be able to stop her SSI benefits, but if you'd like to stop being a payee, I would contact the SSA, inform them that you no longer wish to be her payee, and then fill out any paperwork the send you pertaining to quitting your role as a representative payee. Additionally, her SSI benefits are intended to maintain or improve your granddaughter's living conditions, so if you are not regularly doing so or using those benefits for anything else, you may be committing fraud.

Lorrie (not verified)
Sat, 05/14/2016 - 18:55 Permalink

I am my adult son's payee. I think he stopped taking his medicine so now he doesn't trust me and thinks I am taking his money. He wants to be in charge of his own money. I am tired of his angry rant text messages and coming here yelling at me. Should I just go to ssa and be done with it? I don't think he can handle his own money.


In reply to by Lorrie (not verified)

Mon, 05/16/2016 - 15:30 Permalink

Hi Lorrie,
If you do not believe that your son can handle his own money, I would not stop being his payee. He could try to become his own payee at his local SSA office, but the SSA will revaluate his claim if he tries to do this to make sure he is still actually disabled.

Abigail Smith (not verified)
Fri, 05/20/2016 - 19:29 Permalink

How do i find new representatives for my brother and my friend ?


In reply to by Abigail Smith (not verified)

Mon, 05/23/2016 - 16:16 Permalink

Hi Abigail,
I would contact the SSA at 1-800-772-1213, they would be able to help you find new representatives for your brother and friend.

nmrt (not verified)
Sat, 05/21/2016 - 17:13 Permalink

I am payee for someone, went to check on them they no longer live where they were. I do not know where they are what can I do


In reply to by nmrt (not verified)

Mon, 05/23/2016 - 16:08 Permalink

Hi there,
I would first try to make contact with this person, and failing that, I would contact the local authorities, if this person is not able to take care of themselves or handle their own money, they may be in trouble.

Sheilaashworth… (not verified)
Tue, 05/31/2016 - 08:41 Permalink

I am payee and the person has been handeling his on check for over a year


In reply to by Sheilaashworth… (not verified)

Tue, 05/31/2016 - 10:15 Permalink

Hi Sheila,
It may be a good idea to contact the SSA and let them know this, you may be liable for any misuse of this person's benefits. You can contact the SSA at 1-800-772-1213 and ask them to remove you as a payee from this person's account.

Christy (not verified)
Wed, 06/01/2016 - 11:59 Permalink

What to do when someone switches you from being the payee without your consent or knowledge


In reply to by Christy (not verified)

Wed, 06/01/2016 - 14:01 Permalink

Hi Christy,
As the SSA determines who can be a representative payee, I would contact the SSA about this. You can call them at 1-800-772-1213.

Deborah kieser (not verified)
Thu, 06/09/2016 - 17:35 Permalink

I am half sister payee do I need go in for her change payee or she can do it without me or do it onlune


In reply to by Deborah kieser (not verified)

Fri, 06/10/2016 - 14:20 Permalink

Hi Deborah,
Either you or your sister can change the payee, but you cannot do it online. You will need to visit your local SSA office.

Add new comment