how do I stop being representative payee?

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Mon, 07/01/2013 - 13:47

I have been my brother's re-payee(sp?) for several years and feel that he is more than capable of handling his own money. What is the process to change this arrangement?

william (not verified)
Sun, 09/18/2016 - 14:21 Permalink

my doctor said he would fill out the SSA form in my favor and my goal is to my own payee the instant the SSA form is processed, would it be in a day, instantly, a few days.

Anonymous (not verified)
Wed, 09/21/2016 - 13:45 Permalink

My grandson wants to be his own payee now that he is 20yrs old, what do I have to do to change this?


In reply to by Anonymous (not verified)

Wed, 09/21/2016 - 17:06 Permalink

Hi there,
You should contact the SSA regarding this, they can either assign him a new payee if he cannot be his own, or change their records so that he can be his own payee.

James (not verified)
Thu, 09/29/2016 - 14:33 Permalink

I have requested a new payee and was told the next monthly check would be paper going to the new payee will that start now in October since this request was made in September??


In reply to by James (not verified)

Fri, 09/30/2016 - 11:13 Permalink

Hi James,
It may be best to check with your new payee, they may have received notification from the SSA that they would start getting your benefits.

Anonymous (not verified)
Thu, 09/29/2016 - 22:38 Permalink

My have been my sons payee about 2 years since his approval. I learned a month ago that he went to the SS office and they turned control of his money to him. My son is not capable of handling his own money he does not pay for any of his basic needs. He will not but things to bath with, food, clothes, or anything that provide basic needs. O don't understand how they can let him control his funds without requiring him to be examined by a doctor just an office visit to SS. He has one of the worse cases of paranoid schizophrenia. He has had about 15 mental health stays in the last two years. He has solicited people in the neighborhood for guns so he can shoot is family. There is documentation of this at the police department. He has a 10 day mental stay after this incident. My fear no is that he will carry out this threat of buying a gun because he has control of his check now. How do he get a new payee? He is not capable of handling his money. All be buys us cigarettes, alcohol and fast food with his money. He is broke in three days and he has not provided any basic needs for himself.


In reply to by Anonymous (not verified)

Fri, 09/30/2016 - 11:12 Permalink

Hi there,
you may want to contact the SSA and let them know about this, they can help you with assigning a new payee.

Patty (not verified)
Sun, 10/02/2016 - 21:59 Permalink

Yes my son will be 18 next year his dad is his payee we live in Indiana can my son take his dad off of being his payee he is capable enough to pay bills and rent on his own please reply by my email.


In reply to by Patty (not verified)

Mon, 10/03/2016 - 15:45 Permalink

Hi Patty,
It may be possible for your child to not require a payee, all you need to do is contact the SSA with some information about your child's situation.

June tinsley (not verified)
Mon, 10/17/2016 - 21:27 Permalink

I'm my sons payee I 65 drawing ss he want go to dr want take his meds want help me get his grocery want take out trash want clean up want take bath want I'm I suppose to do if I can't do it anymore! !


In reply to by June tinsley (not verified)

Tue, 10/18/2016 - 13:18 Permalink

Hi June,
You may want to contact the SSA and have them change your son's payee if you do not wish to be one any longer.

Anonymous (not verified)
Mon, 10/24/2016 - 00:10 Permalink

If I feel she needs to be in nursing home but she want agree and her home is not livable what can I do and I no longer want to be her payee

annonymous (not verified)
Wed, 10/26/2016 - 11:02 Permalink

My husband is on disability with rare form of dementia, as in young onset, his speech has become very hard to understand, he understands most everything, but cant follow directions very well. The ssa has asked that maybe I should become his rep payee. We have be married for 28 yrs and have a joint checking acct.I have done all the book keeping in our family. We have a good marriage and will I be keeping him at home till he dies, per his request. Since this is a type of requested payee, not required, are the stipulations still the same? Ie: different bank accts, keeping account of everything that is spent on him does that work when what he gets is what we live on?


In reply to by annonymous (not verified)

Wed, 10/26/2016 - 13:19 Permalink

Hi there,
I'm sorry to hear that.
Generally it's good practice to follow the guidelines for representative payees, even if the payee is a voluntary one.

Steve (not verified)
Thu, 10/27/2016 - 10:18 Permalink

I'm moving to arizona, but can I keep my payee the sane person and she lives in michigan

Greg (not verified)
Sun, 11/13/2016 - 21:14 Permalink

I won my case there going back pay 6 years from 2006 to 2013 then cut me of saying am no disability no more and now it 2017 and i been working as class driver deliver. Fuel in big rig and singal parent there draging there feet say now i need a payee out of blue what do i do so i get paid in full for 6 years back pay.


In reply to by Greg (not verified)

Mon, 11/14/2016 - 09:46 Permalink

Hi Greg,
You may want to get in touch with someone you would trust with your money, and then contact the SSA and have them as your payee.

Mel (not verified)
Wed, 11/16/2016 - 02:32 Permalink

Im a payee for a friend, and I've been her payee for over two years, i no longer want to be her payee, and I've told her this many times, but she refuses to take me off because she has no one else to be her payee, and I've called ssi and they told me to talk to her, and we come in together, but she refuses, she also doesnt live in the same town as me, and i dont have a vehicle, what do i do? Please help.

Add new comment

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.