how do I stop being representative payee?

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Mon, 07/01/2013 - 13:47

I have been my brother's re-payee(sp?) for several years and feel that he is more than capable of handling his own money. What is the process to change this arrangement?

Deb (not verified)
Sat, 06/11/2016 - 18:39 Permalink

How I stop being a payee for someone on ssi don't want be

TYNISE (not verified)
Mon, 06/13/2016 - 20:38 Permalink


Jay (not verified)
Tue, 06/14/2016 - 14:04 Permalink

If I'm payee for both a child and his mother, can the mother change me as payee for the child ? I don't want to be the payee for the mother anymore.


In reply to by Jay (not verified)

Wed, 06/15/2016 - 10:02 Permalink

Hi Jay,
The SSA has the final say in appointing payees, so they may decide to stick with the same payee regardless of the mother's want to change payees.

Jean (not verified)
Wed, 06/15/2016 - 06:53 Permalink

I was my adult daughter rep payee in the past. Don't know how I was removed several years ago, but I was. She is incapable of handling her money. Her benefits are received on the 3rd and gone four days later. She lives with me but contributes no money. I do not want to be re assigned because of the stress I encountered from her in the past, but SSA need to definitely assign her a rep. What should should I do to make this happen. Don't think she is taking her meds.

kathy m (not verified)
Fri, 06/17/2016 - 13:30 Permalink

I get ssI but my mother gives me only 300 dollars a mouth... so can my mother
be my payee...but me and my son are movin to upstate with husben and mother inlaw


In reply to by kathy m (not verified)

Fri, 06/17/2016 - 15:05 Permalink

Hi Kathy,
I am sorry to hear that. If you have a suitable substitute, you can always go to your local SSA office and switch the payee.

anamarie (not verified)
Wed, 06/22/2016 - 14:07 Permalink

Hey , i have had ssi but never got money out of it. I do but my mom keeps it all. But i have a baby and im 17 . I work and do good in school. Want to move out but i want my ssi. I need it for bills and drs n stuff. What should i do ?


In reply to by anamarie (not verified)

Thu, 06/23/2016 - 13:34 Permalink

Hi Anamarie,

Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do right now. Once you are 18, you will be able to take over your SSI payments on your own. Until then, your mom will have to keep receiving them.

Shelby Mcneill (not verified)
Tue, 07/05/2016 - 13:20 Permalink

I am a rep. Payee for a friend. She has left my residence and moved in with a boy that is running from the law. I need to change my name off of her check and put her dad back over it. What do I have to do?


In reply to by Shelby Mcneill (not verified)

Tue, 07/05/2016 - 16:56 Permalink

Hi Shelby,
I would call the SSA and tell them that you can no longer be this person's representative payee, they would be able to help you and find a new representative payee for your friend.

lauren Hunter (not verified)
Wed, 07/20/2016 - 13:52 Permalink


I was my grandmother payee for almost 4 years and my uncle(grandmothers son) changed it to him without my grandmother being present. We went to our local SS office and changed it back, but how was he able to do that without my grandmother being present. Also is it possible to block him from trying to do it again?


In reply to by lauren Hunter (not verified)

Wed, 07/20/2016 - 15:15 Permalink

Hi Lauren,
I'm sorry to hear that. I'm not sure how you could prevent this from happening in the future! That would be a good question for someone at your local SSA office.

anoymous (not verified)
Sat, 07/23/2016 - 06:46 Permalink

What do you do if you are payee of a 17 yr. old and have legal custody of them and they decide that they want to no longer live at your residence


In reply to by anoymous (not verified)

Tue, 07/26/2016 - 11:45 Permalink
Hi there, I would talk to your payee and make sure they understand the significance of them moving out. If you have further questions regarding your specific scenario/benefits, call Social Security's toll-free number, 1-800-772-1213, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. on business days.
Anonymous (not verified)
Sun, 07/24/2016 - 23:53 Permalink

My grandma is my moms payee but is retired now and suffering failing health, how would i go about being next payee if she were to pass away


In reply to by Anonymous (not verified)

Tue, 07/26/2016 - 11:46 Permalink
Hi there, call Social Security's toll-free number, 1-800-772-1213, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. on business days to change who will be your mother's payee next. If you are deaf or hard of hearing, you may call our toll-free TTY number, 1-800-325-0778, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. on business days or call your local Social Security office between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. on business days.

Add new comment

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.