how do I stop being representative payee?

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Mon, 07/01/2013 - 13:47

I have been my brother's re-payee(sp?) for several years and feel that he is more than capable of handling his own money. What is the process to change this arrangement?

Kim s. (not verified)
Sat, 02/18/2017 - 17:24 Permalink

After filling out the form of no longer wanting to be representative payee, what should I do/ should happen to the bank acoount that I was open for that person? Should I close it or just notify the bank?


In reply to by Kim s. (not verified)

Mon, 02/20/2017 - 11:11 Permalink

Hi Kim,
I would wait until a new payee is assigned, and then hand off those funds to them. You may want to contact your local SSA office for more details about how to do so.

Sue (not verified)
Thu, 02/23/2017 - 19:45 Permalink

Will Disability approve my husband to be my Payee without Dr approval.


In reply to by Sue (not verified)

Fri, 02/24/2017 - 10:01 Permalink

Hi Sue,
Your husband may be able to be your payee, however I could not say if the SSA would approve him as a payee.

Caren Rever (not verified)
Mon, 02/27/2017 - 10:58 Permalink

My Grand son has lived with me for several years but has only had SSI for about 2 years now. He wants to go stay with his Uncle for awhile can I still remain his payee or not? I don't no how it works for some but I heard if you make to much money he wouldn't be approved anyway, they approved me right away saying it was because I was his grandmother and didn't need income. But main concern is can I still remain being his payee?


In reply to by Caren Rever (not verified)

Wed, 03/01/2017 - 12:21 Permalink

Hi Caren,
You may be able to stay his payee, however if you would be unable to provide the funds for the child while he is staying with his uncle, you may want to contact the SSA and have them re-assign payees.

Anonymous (not verified)
Wed, 03/01/2017 - 12:38 Permalink

My brother needs to be his own payee how do we get my name off and put it in his name?

Allison (not verified)
Fri, 03/03/2017 - 15:38 Permalink

What documentation is needed to take along to social security when changing a rep payee?


In reply to by Allison (not verified)

Tue, 03/07/2017 - 08:24 Permalink

Hi Allison,
The safest bet would be to call the SSA and make sure you have everything necessary. You can do so toll-free at 1-800-772-1213.

Anonymous (not verified)
Wed, 03/08/2017 - 13:00 Permalink

I know longer want to be my brother,s payee how to stop


In reply to by Anonymous (not verified)

Wed, 03/08/2017 - 14:58 Permalink

Hi there,
Please notify the SSA immediately if you wish not to be your brother's payee. You can do so at 1-800-772-1213

Donta McHenry (not verified)
Thu, 03/09/2017 - 17:52 Permalink

How can I be a payee


In reply to by Donta McHenry (not verified)

Wed, 03/15/2017 - 10:23 Permalink

Hi Donta,
The SSA generally assigns payees, you may want to contact them regarding this, you can do so by calling 1-800-772-1213 or by going to

L Bender (not verified)
Tue, 03/14/2017 - 18:47 Permalink

I have been the payee for my brother and recently i have had situations come up in my own immediate family and feel like I need to pass his payee over to my sister. How do we go about that?

Lisa (not verified)
Mon, 03/20/2017 - 14:40 Permalink

I'm married to my husband an have been his payee since 2007 an in Nov 2016 I tried to kill myself to not deal with his crazy ideas that I was taking his money an buying what I wanted I have always paid all his bills on 3rd till may 2016 he took atm card away from me an if I go in bank he goes with me now which is fine I have proof with my bank how I always draw money out how much I left in for him to go the rest of month. But I'm tired of being threating every time he has a spell or quits taking his mental meds an says He's the man it's his money and I would give it to him or he could put me in jail or take it himself. This has gotten violent a few times an I just can't deal with being responsible for him an him not pay what he's suppose to an blame me. I want out of payee if it goes back to him his dad or his sister but not me.


In reply to by Lisa (not verified)

Mon, 03/20/2017 - 16:21 Permalink

Hi Lisa,

I am sorry to hear that. You could go to your local Social Security Administration office and fill out the paperwork to no longer be the payee. If you do not have a replacement, the SSA will name someone else to become her payee.

Best Wishes,

Anonymous (not verified)
Tue, 03/28/2017 - 00:26 Permalink

I have been my partners payee for a year , and I want to remove my name from being there payee ,what can I do, can I go to a random office or to the specific office where I became his payee

Add new comment