how do I stop being representative payee?

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Mon, 07/01/2013 - 13:47

I have been my brother's re-payee(sp?) for several years and feel that he is more than capable of handling his own money. What is the process to change this arrangement?


In reply to by Deborah Amico (not verified)

Mon, 04/09/2018 - 15:26 Permalink

Hi Deborah,

I am sorry to hear that, but I am glad you found the information to be helpful. Wishing you nothing but the best.

Natalie Beaumo… (not verified)
Sun, 04/15/2018 - 19:19 Permalink

My sister inlaw has decided that she doesn't want to be my Federal Payee anymore. Ive just recovered from a reconstruction surgery of my left leg now getting ready for my right leg. I am Bi-polar 1 and Im scared because of her wanting to stop I will loose my benefits.


In reply to by Natalie Beaumo… (not verified)

Mon, 04/16/2018 - 16:36 Permalink

Hi Natalie,

You can change your representative payee. If you contact the SSA (1-800-772-1213) they can change your payee. Good luck with your surgery!

Jeanette Counter (not verified)
Mon, 05/14/2018 - 01:25 Permalink

How do i become my own payee when i pay all my bills


In reply to by Jeanette Counter (not verified)

Mon, 05/14/2018 - 16:05 Permalink

Hi Jeanette,

You can contact the SSA to change you representative payee. Their number is 1-800-772-1213.

Scott (not verified)
Thu, 05/31/2018 - 03:19 Permalink

My mother is my girlfriends payee and wishes to quit im a felon have completed parol over a year ago can i be her payee

Tasha (not verified)
Thu, 05/31/2018 - 10:48 Permalink

l know longer can take being a payee for my mom. She gets mad if I give her an allowance and always say it's her money, which is true. Shes not capable of handling her money because of the friends she have. But I cant deal with being accused of taking her money or she just throwing it away. Her life insurance comes out my paycheck but I get it back when she get hers. What can I do to make sure her insurance is paid on time but not have anything to do with her money


In reply to by Tasha (not verified)

Fri, 06/01/2018 - 15:06 Permalink

Hi Tasha,

I would recommend speaking with a representative at your local SSA office regarding that. If you wish not to be her payee the SSA will assign someone else for you.

Jeanette (not verified)
Thu, 06/07/2018 - 20:15 Permalink

My husband been my payee for me and my son but he give me money to pay bills and food and things for my son how can i be my own payee

Joanne (not verified)
Mon, 06/11/2018 - 16:58 Permalink

How do I stop being a payee?

Marsha (not verified)
Tue, 06/19/2018 - 11:49 Permalink

How do I stop being a payee. I have been a payee for many years for a lady that has 2 children. I met her at church. The children are almost grown. I want to get out!!! Her sister harass me all the time that I could do more for her. The sisters are all on assistance. They would like to be her payee but have no gas money to get to the SS office. I just want to be DONE. They harassed me last night until 10:00 pm - I give up!!!

Sandra Mercer (not verified)
Fri, 07/13/2018 - 00:38 Permalink

I'm my sons payee he is 15yrs old i got a letter in the mail says that I'm not his payee anymore that some one else is. If that's the case wouldn't i had to sign something and i didn't i believe my mom forged my name.


In reply to by Sandra Mercer (not verified)

Fri, 07/13/2018 - 15:14 Permalink

Hi Sandra,

If that is the case then you should notify the SSA immediately. You can call your local SSA office or schedule an appointment to meet with them in person.

Anonymous (not verified)
Tue, 07/24/2018 - 12:05 Permalink

I know longer want be the payee he is more than capable. We don't get along at all.

Janice Rodriguez (not verified)
Fri, 08/10/2018 - 08:55 Permalink

My mom and i moved to another state after our lease was up. When we arrived to our destination she got sick and wad hospitalized. After she was discharged we lived in an extended stay hotel. Am i allowed to use her benefits to pay expenses to live in temp housing. My brothers dont want me to be her payee.

Ive been taking care of my mom since. 2008-2011 then shecwas placed in a home from 2011 - 2016. She was then kicked out of nursing home due to inappropriate behavior by my sibling who happened to be her payee. I took over as her payee when sometime in 2017 after she moved in with me. I have since been taking care of her. Should i remove myself as payee. My brother doesnt want me to be her payee. Ive done nothing wrong.

Add new comment