how do I stop being representative payee?

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Mon, 07/01/2013 - 13:47

I have been my brother's re-payee(sp?) for several years and feel that he is more than capable of handling his own money. What is the process to change this arrangement?

Anynonmous (not verified)
Sun, 01/14/2018 - 20:01 Permalink

If I don't need a payee and social security refuses to be reasonable and even obey the laws do I have any options? I have influence over no one.


In reply to by Anynonmous (not verified)

Mon, 01/15/2018 - 09:01 Permalink

Hi There,

I am sorry to hear that. Maybe schedule an appointment at your local SSA office and speak to someone from there.

Anonymous (not verified)
Wed, 01/17/2018 - 16:56 Permalink

My name is Virginia Payne I need to get out of being a payee from my ex husband !! Please help me!!!

Brenda (not verified)
Fri, 01/26/2018 - 17:26 Permalink

At age 17 are you old enough to manage your own SS Survivor benefits

Liz T. (not verified)
Fri, 02/02/2018 - 15:27 Permalink

I want to stop being my moms representative payee, how do I do that?what form do I need and where can I get it?

Ashley (not verified)
Mon, 02/05/2018 - 17:53 Permalink

My mother lives with me, she's on SSI and has a very bad gambling habit. She's incapable of managing her own account. How can I become her payee?


In reply to by Ashley (not verified)

Thu, 02/08/2018 - 11:57 Permalink

Hi Ashley,
The SSA would need to determine that your mother is incapable of handling her finances and would then require a payee, which she would need to name.

Sara (not verified)
Tue, 02/06/2018 - 02:30 Permalink

Is a payee entitled to repayment if they have provided sole support for the person for which they are in charge? I paid for everything for the years leading up to approval process.


In reply to by Sara (not verified)

Thu, 02/08/2018 - 12:03 Permalink

Hi Sara,
You may want to contact the SSA regarding this, however you may only be able to do that as a disability advocate or attorney.

Sara (not verified)
Tue, 02/06/2018 - 17:27 Permalink

My son gets SSI and Social Security. I am his mom and his payee he is 33 years old . I have taught him how to handle his money and pay his bills.He started receiving benifits at age 18.He put me as his payee.I'm 68 years old and not in good health.My question is can he be his on payee?


In reply to by Sara (not verified)

Thu, 02/08/2018 - 16:59 Permalink

Hi Sara,

You would have to schedule an appointment with your local SSA office and speak with a representative there. Wishing you and your son nothing but the best.

Jay (not verified)
Wed, 02/07/2018 - 18:25 Permalink

How doi get out of being a payee for someone.I can no longer get Along with and don’t want to be part of this person life?

Anonymous (not verified)
Sat, 02/24/2018 - 06:51 Permalink

Can know longer be payee .I Am homeless


In reply to by Anonymous (not verified)

Tue, 02/27/2018 - 14:04 Permalink

Hi There,

You have to schedule an appointment at your local SSA office if you wish to stop being someone's payee.

Sailor (not verified)
Sun, 02/25/2018 - 15:14 Permalink

I am a 17 year old girl who has a child and has not been living in the home of my mother.

Anonymous (not verified)
Wed, 02/28/2018 - 17:20 Permalink

If I am a payee over my friends check for him to get a different payee do I half to sign to be taken out my name

Add new comment

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.