how do I stop being representative payee?

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Mon, 07/01/2013 - 13:47

I have been my brother's re-payee(sp?) for several years and feel that he is more than capable of handling his own money. What is the process to change this arrangement?


In reply to by Anonymous (not verified)

Thu, 03/01/2018 - 12:22 Permalink

Hi There,

You have to go to your local SSA office to do so. They will assign another payee there.

linda (not verified)
Mon, 03/05/2018 - 14:05 Permalink

I was the payee for my mother who passed away a month ago. I did contact SS and her benefits have stopped, although I just received a letter from SS wanting reimbursement for the month she died. Who is responsible to pay that since my mom has parents were married and my dad is still alive as the surviving spouse.

Eva C Tabaldo (not verified)
Tue, 03/06/2018 - 00:56 Permalink

I want to stop being a payee .How would I go about making sure that I'm off of all


In reply to by Eva C Tabaldo (not verified)

Tue, 03/06/2018 - 15:48 Permalink

Hi Eva,

Someone at your local SSA office will be able to do so.

Debbie (not verified)
Mon, 03/12/2018 - 12:22 Permalink

I called SS and told them i no longer wanna be someones payee. Will he still get his money if no other payee comes forward

David (not verified)
Mon, 03/12/2018 - 15:41 Permalink

What's the process to stop receiving SSI. I am a representative payee for my daughter. She had speech impediment for 3 years and today they told me she passed all her test. she is improving a lot better. So I don't need SSI anymore


In reply to by David (not verified)

Mon, 03/12/2018 - 17:09 Permalink

Hi David,

Congrats on your daughter passing her tests! You'd have to contact the SSA and notify that you do not need SSI anymore. You can call them at 1-800-772-1213.

Sherry (not verified)
Tue, 03/13/2018 - 10:29 Permalink

If a person is in jail but not sentenced they r in trial, then they get a program still not sentenced or charged. and the payee has benifits shut off how long to start receiving checks again?

Christina (not verified)
Thu, 03/15/2018 - 04:59 Permalink

I was put on as payee, when after two years of my mother failing to call SSA to collect on my deceased father's record (who would not want more money?), I picked up the phone and called SSA. I lived an hour away, saw her only a few times a year, and I would say this was one of the first signs I picked up on that she may have Alzheimer's. Well, when the agent took the case particulars, she said someone must manage her money, and stuck me on. That was 10 years ago, and I really did not feel it was a big deal not getting paid to do it at first because I did not do much, and my SIL did the groceries. Over six years ago, I coincidentally moved to the same small city because I wanted to buy my first house while the interest rates were low, and houses were much cheaper near her. Now I want to get paid, but for more than just managing her accounts but for all the LTC services I provide: shopping, some cleaning, pet care, including putting it on a diet (had to lock up the cat food--Mom got ugly...). Basically, anything that involves benefits, her accounts, her reminder service, her LTC services from an agency, her insurance, etc., I have to manage, and this takes several hours per week. I should be paid. I should not have to hire and oversee someone else. It is uncompensated time that is taking away from my starting my own business.

I would like to get a new Power of Attorney because that was done even earlier. It too stated I cannot be paid for providing services. It is the only line I want revised in the whole thing. Adult children out there, beware of any free legal services for seniors drawing up the document! While I do think watching out for seniors is necessary and worthy, it was done in a sneaky way. I feel I was taken advantage of because no one was looking out for the fairness in my interests, now in the future. It never occurred to me that a dozen years out, I would be so heavily involved and trapped by this POA, I should have been advised to see an attorney before signing it.

As to decision-making, I am unclear what decisions a person must still be making to not need a conservator/guardian. I could go that path too but it takes more time than doing another FPOA if my mother can legally sign one.

Either as FPOA or Guardian, I see conflict brewing where I can be compensated by either of these two paths and still be saddled with the Rep Payee regs stating I cannot be paid. My brother has a felony and therefore cannot be payee. When my SIL learned she was no longer doing the shopping, she disappeared. Neither answer their phones. My mother has no living siblings. So rep payee would get kicked out to a public agency to do if I dropped it. And the money is not because I am desperate for money. It is recognition that my services have value and her life has been better than if I had not been involved.


In reply to by Christina (not verified)

Fri, 03/16/2018 - 13:33 Permalink

Hi Christina,

Thank you for your thoughtful comment. You are able to change attorneys. They can help you take the next necessary steps. Best of luck.

Mary (not verified)
Sat, 03/17/2018 - 09:26 Permalink

I am the payee for my bother menta illness. Just started 2 months ago. He keeps asking me to transfer money to his account for needs for his apartment, but then withdrawals the money for drugs. He is verbally abusive. I do not wish to continue as his payee, as I have a family to consider. If he has no one else to be is his payee, who do I turn this over to?

John (not verified)
Mon, 03/19/2018 - 03:47 Permalink

If im am disability myself can i be someones payie and how would that effect my disability.

Lisa C. (not verified)
Wed, 03/28/2018 - 17:30 Permalink

How does one no longer want to be a payee...... I have a friend who wants to move to better his situation but is a payee to his friend what does he have to do 5p change it

Deborah Amico (not verified)
Sun, 04/08/2018 - 13:00 Permalink

This site has been very helpful to me as I got dropped into being re-payee after my parent had been a victim of senior abuse (financial) for 15 years. I did the clean up and have been disrespected by a dusgruntaled parent for years. I am giving it back because no matter how much you want to help, dealing with County agengies you are always the bad guy. No one ever asks how you are doing or if you need assistance with taking on the responsibilities of a disgruntaled parent. I am done.

Add new comment

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.