how do I stop being representative payee?

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Mon, 07/01/2013 - 13:47

I have been my brother's re-payee(sp?) for several years and feel that he is more than capable of handling his own money. What is the process to change this arrangement?

Katydid57 (not verified)
Fri, 11/24/2017 - 15:13 Permalink

I've been my grandsons payee and he has lived with me while his mom got her shut together. He is going to live with his mom in another state but I fear if she is his payee he won't be provided for. I've seen it with her step children. He is just a year shy of 18.


In reply to by Katydid57 (not verified)

Mon, 11/27/2017 - 10:31 Permalink

Hi there,
You may be able to retain payee status, but you may want to contact the SSA regarding this.

Anonymous (not verified)
Wed, 11/29/2017 - 15:54 Permalink

Can some who is on disability b someone else's payee


In reply to by Anonymous (not verified)

Thu, 11/30/2017 - 09:32 Permalink


It really depends on the circumstances, I would speak to a SSA representative for more information regarding that.

Scott (not verified)
Sat, 12/09/2017 - 08:52 Permalink

I was just appointed as personal representative for my stepmother, she is in a nursing home and I have no contact with her. My father has dementia and cannot serve as personal representative. I do not want to be her personal representative, what are my options?


In reply to by Scott (not verified)

Mon, 12/11/2017 - 13:30 Permalink

Hi Scott,
You may want to contact the SSA regarding this, you can contact them at 1-800-772-1213.

No name (not verified)
Tue, 01/02/2018 - 04:34 Permalink

Im disable my dads my payee but he move out of town i live with my 16 yr old daughter that takes care of me 247 can she be my payee

Deetta Cameron (not verified)
Wed, 01/03/2018 - 14:23 Permalink

I am my father in laws payee. I am now going though medical issues which is making it difficult to help him...does the state provide a payee service


In reply to by Deetta Cameron (not verified)

Wed, 01/03/2018 - 16:52 Permalink

Hi Deeta,

I am not sure about each individual state, but the SSA can assign another payee for him. You have to schedule an appointment at your local office.

Karen Blanco (not verified)
Thu, 01/04/2018 - 15:15 Permalink

My nephew is on SSDI he is moving from another state to come live with me. Currently he is living with his sister but she is abusive to him and he threatens to kill himself because of the abuse. She has taken all of his identification away from him. If a recipient has a payee and move to another state, how does the recipient change the payee without proper identification? Also when he moves to another state how long does it take to transfer his benefits to the new payee


In reply to by Karen Blanco (not verified)

Fri, 01/05/2018 - 15:09 Permalink

Hi Karen,
I'm sorry to hear about that! He may be able to have his payee re-assigned because of this, you may want to contact the SSA with him to have them start the ball rolling on re-assigning his payee for this reason.

Connie (not verified)
Fri, 01/05/2018 - 03:18 Permalink

How. Do I stop being payee for someone who is in jail. Will he co
to receive SSI While in jail?


In reply to by Connie (not verified)

Fri, 01/05/2018 - 11:11 Permalink

Hi Connie,
You can contact the SSA regarding that and they can start the process of transferring payee status to another person. The person that you're receiving benefits for may be ineligible for benefits while incarcerated.

Anon (not verified)
Sat, 01/13/2018 - 20:29 Permalink

I wanted my sister to be my payee only cause I needed an ID for the bank since I don't have one. I changed my mind since ei don't need a payee. She got a letter saying SSA denied her being my payee (which is what I wanted) but at the end is something about another payee. I never put another another payee, will I still be my own payee like I've always been?

Elizabeth (not verified)
Sun, 01/14/2018 - 19:49 Permalink

I have been receiving disability for over 17 years.After the first two years, I was appointed a payee I don't know and none of this was explained to me.This group acted in a very fraudulent manner and was finally removed last year.The problem is that social security appointed another payee I don't know without ever properly reviewing my case once. I know now it's the law that they review everyone's disability case and I'm sure they do,too. I don't know how to proceed at this point other than telling them to keep it and going on public assistance,as they don't want to make it possible for me to be my own payee as I truly should be.

Elizabeth (not verified)
Sun, 01/14/2018 - 19:57 Permalink

I believe SSA is probably breaking the law by not having my case reviewed once and insisting on sending my money to people that have no business with it.. and have no valid court order requiring such.


In reply to by Elizabeth (not verified)

Tue, 01/16/2018 - 11:24 Permalink

Hi Elizabeth,
If the SSA finds that you require a payee, they would assign one without a court order.

Add new comment

Find Out If I Qualify for Benefits!