Qualifying children

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Wed, 10/26/2011 - 13:47

I have children and their father has recently went for a hearing is waiting on a decision. I was told that the kids will qualify for benefits. I have several questions.
How is the amount determined?
What are the rules for the cutoff age to recieve benefits?
Do the children recieve back pay as well?
What steps if any do I need to take to set up their case?
If a child is 18 but still in high school do they qualify, and for how long?

Becky (not verified)
Wed, 11/11/2015 - 14:55 Permalink

My husband was recently awarded ssdi...we are trying to file for aux benefits for our daughter which is 14. We phoned Social Security and was told to go into the local office and that we do not need an appt. We went in and the agent made copies of all documentation and told us to file a claim online, as the wait period for an appointment was 6wks and we did need an appointment to file in the office. I can't find anyway on the website to file to aux benefits for a minor child that does not have a disability...am I missing something?


In reply to by Becky (not verified)

Thu, 11/12/2015 - 12:49 Permalink

Hi Becky,
I can't find it either! I thought when your husband filled out the form, there would be a place for your daughter's SS# to go for her to be approved. Maybe try calling the national phone number to see if you could apply over the phone?

Cthompson (not verified)
Thu, 11/12/2015 - 07:13 Permalink

The father of my child recently started to receive ssi. He did not put our son as a dependent for some reason, even though he stated he had. How can I add my son to his claim? Will my son receive retro payments? What documents will I need?


In reply to by Cthompson (not verified)

Thu, 11/12/2015 - 13:01 Permalink

Hi there,
You cannot receive any payments for your child if his father is on SSI. This is only for recipients of SSDI benefits.

Rockisha (not verified)
Thu, 11/12/2015 - 08:43 Permalink

How can I go bout to see if my son can get a check from his daddy

Rockisha (not verified)
Thu, 11/12/2015 - 08:48 Permalink

They had diend my daughter she be having seizure every once a year do this mean that she don't qualify for a check


In reply to by Rockisha (not verified)

Thu, 11/12/2015 - 13:02 Permalink

Hi Rockisha,
Since she was denied then no, she does not qualify. For epilepsy (seizure disorder), she'd be needing to have a grand mal seizure once a month despite treatments, or a petit mal seizure at least once a week despite treatments. She will not qualify if she has one seizure a year.

Liz (not verified)
Fri, 12/04/2015 - 13:50 Permalink

My grandson adopted parent wants him out of the house when he turns 18. He is mental disable. I want to have him live with me will he still get ssi


In reply to by Liz (not verified)

Fri, 12/04/2015 - 15:37 Permalink

Hi Liz,
He will actually be reevaluated by the SSA once he turns 18, so he might not actually be able to receive benefits anyway. But if he does, he should not have much difficulty keeping them even if you are his guardian.

sharon jackson (not verified)
Sat, 12/05/2015 - 08:33 Permalink

i receive my wildowed pension from my deceased hubson .now i have adopted my grand daughter she ive; e detemoned so i will be receving adoption subsidy .do she qualify for my d hubsom retirement disablity

Ap (not verified)
Sat, 12/05/2015 - 11:31 Permalink

Would my biological daughter receive my ss after my death if she was adopted? I no longer have any parental rights or control.

Tamar21 (not verified)
Sat, 12/05/2015 - 18:19 Permalink

My son is 7 years old and he get ssi and they just release his back payment can I spent it on things he need

carmen (not verified)
Sat, 12/05/2015 - 18:54 Permalink

If my kids dad recieves ssid and we have been separated do my children get auxilary benefits and if so my appointment is on Jan 28 to determine so, how soon would I get back payment and current payments. He was approved and i recieved 5900 of his back payment in november of 2015 because he owes 25000 in child support...


In reply to by carmen (not verified)

Fri, 12/11/2015 - 13:08 Permalink

Hi Carmen,
I am really not sure how long that would take. It would all depend on how quickly your local office could process your claim.

alycia (not verified)
Mon, 12/07/2015 - 01:23 Permalink

My x has revived a huge settlement from SSDI... I get no child support from him, will my children qualify for benefits and if so will they receive some of the settlement amount? I am the custodial parent and he dose not see them.

Sandra S (not verified)
Mon, 12/07/2015 - 23:59 Permalink

My husband draws ssdi. We recently got perminate conservatorship of my 2 yr old grandson. Can my husband receive a check on behalf of our grandson now that he is a dependant and I do not work. My husband receives 2195.00 a month.

Add new comment

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.