Qualifying children

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on

I have children and their father has recently went for a hearing is waiting on a decision. I was told that the kids will qualify for benefits. I have several questions.
How is the amount determined?
What are the rules for the cutoff age to recieve benefits?
Do the children recieve back pay as well?
What steps if any do I need to take to set up their case?
If a child is 18 but still in high school do they qualify, and for how long?

Anonymous (not verified)
Sat, 10/14/2017 - 01:45 Permalink

I was approved for 12 months of ssdi for the period of January 2015 thru December 2015... I was told my son is eligible for ssdi under my record... I think he gets 50% of the amount I get, but does that mean for the same period and does he get back pay as well? Does he get mthly payments as well or just one lump some?
Thanks...

Bryan

In reply to by Anonymous (not verified)

Wed, 10/18/2017 - 14:34 Permalink

Hi there,
He may be eligible for a lump sum and/or a back payment, however you may want to contact the SSA at 1-800-772-1213 for more info regarding this.

Mike (not verified)
Sat, 10/14/2017 - 22:38 Permalink

I have been raising my fiancé son for 10 years. Can he draw a check from my disability

Anonymous (not verified)
Sun, 10/15/2017 - 21:53 Permalink

We have a14yr old daughter.we have done everything except adopt her we have legal guardianship we have changed her last name.we have had her since she was 3months my husband draws SS and we would like for our daughter to draw a check if possible. Can she?

James (not verified)
Mon, 10/16/2017 - 15:41 Permalink

My ex wife just started receiving ssdi, and she said she just got approved to receive benefits for our kids. The problem is I have custody of the kids and soley provide for them. How is this possible & is this considered FRAUD?

Bryan

In reply to by James (not verified)

Fri, 10/20/2017 - 09:22 Permalink

Hi James,
This may not be as SSDI benefits do include benefits for dependent children as well.

Anonymous (not verified)
Mon, 10/16/2017 - 16:05 Permalink

Can a 16 year deaf child continue getting ssi id he is not in school

Bryan

In reply to by Anonymous (not verified)

Fri, 10/20/2017 - 09:23 Permalink

Hi there,
You may want to contact a local SSA office regarding this as they can give you information specific to the child's case regarding school attendance and SSI benefits.

Pam Bolton (not verified)
Mon, 10/16/2017 - 20:06 Permalink

My husband and i have this little girl. She is 15yrs old we got her when she was 3months old.we are her legal guardians she has our last name. All the parental rights were taken away from her mother and father.My question is , my husband draws SS and I'm on medicaid WE WOULD like for our daughter to get a check from my husband. Is that possible?

Bryan

In reply to by Pam Bolton (not verified)

Fri, 10/20/2017 - 09:29 Permalink

Hi Pam,
That may be possible, it's a good idea to contact the SSA regarding this as they'd be able to go over your particular case with you. You can give them a call at 1-800-772-1213.

Jocelyn (not verified)
Tue, 10/17/2017 - 10:20 Permalink

My daughter receives SSI and she had a child two years ago, does her child get to receive benefits as well?

Deanna Ireland (not verified)
Tue, 10/17/2017 - 15:50 Permalink

I was injured 10/14/13 and ALJ ruled that my onset date was correct and I my benifits where to start on 4/14/15. I was lucky that they considered my case as a dire need and it cut 6 months of waiting for a hearing.

I have several questions about dependent benifits for my stepchildren. I don't think I listed them on my application, but I did list them on parts of function capacity form. I did not know they could get benifits.

So I have a phone conference on 10-19-2017. So my questions are:

My stepson at the time of my onset would have been 16 and my stepdaughter would have been 10. I want to ask if they would receive half of my back pay from April 14 2014 since I did not realize they were eligible. Will the SSA pay them dependent retroactively or will the benifits start if approved during my teleconference on 10/19/17?

I just can't figure it out.

Bryan

In reply to by Deanna Ireland (not verified)

Fri, 10/20/2017 - 09:45 Permalink

Hi there,
they may be eligible for backpay if the are otherwise eligible for benefits and were eligible from the time of your application.

Dreama (not verified)
Tue, 10/17/2017 - 19:20 Permalink

I applied for Ssdi benefits, if approved, do my children get benefits automatically or do I need to file a separate claim

Bryan

In reply to by Dreama (not verified)

Fri, 10/20/2017 - 10:24 Permalink

HI Dreama,
They would start receiving benefits if you had included them in your initial application, otherwise you may need to apply for them.

Anonymous (not verified)
Tue, 10/17/2017 - 21:36 Permalink

My son is 16 if he no longer is disabled will they release the back pay that is in dedicated account before he is 18?

Add new comment

Find Out If I Qualify for Benefits!