Qualifying children

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on

I have children and their father has recently went for a hearing is waiting on a decision. I was told that the kids will qualify for benefits. I have several questions.
How is the amount determined?
What are the rules for the cutoff age to recieve benefits?
Do the children recieve back pay as well?
What steps if any do I need to take to set up their case?
If a child is 18 but still in high school do they qualify, and for how long?

Sandy (not verified)
Wed, 10/18/2017 - 10:22 Permalink

I took neighbor daughter and mother get her check but hasn’t gave her anything for 2 months spending on her and boyfriend what can I do I don’t know social number to report

R. Mitchell (not verified)
Wed, 10/18/2017 - 10:23 Permalink

I've been receiving sad for 18 years. I have two babies with my current wife and for years forgot to add them to my case. They are 5 and 6 now, how much back pay am I to expect for them? 12 months or from there births?

Anonymous (not verified)
Wed, 10/18/2017 - 23:58 Permalink

Daughter has a child and the father married her before the baby was born. He collects SSI. (This is off of his deceased military fathers Social Security.) The babies' father was attacked and hit in the head causing seisures and disability. His mother has guardianship over him. Shortly After the baby was born they got an annulment. Is there any luck that my daughter can get CS from the father or his Guardian? Or is this a case where she will have to rely on welfare untill she is able to support her baby by herself?

Eric

In reply to by Anonymous (not verified)

Thu, 10/19/2017 - 09:19 Permalink

Hi There,

I am so sorry to hear that, you may want to contact the SSAf for more information. Your daughter's child could qualify for auxiliary benefits off of her father's SSI. However, since their marriage was annulled I am not sure if she could qualify for benefits off of him.

Allison (not verified)
Thu, 10/19/2017 - 11:42 Permalink

Husband is on SSDI and found out the children are eligible to apply for benefits on his case. My question is how long does it usually take to receive and answer on the application. The status has been in process since 6/15/17 with no movement on the SSA website. We were told this is a quick process as they were on the application originally. Last letter we received was 8/23/17 stating they have everything they need at this time and will begin processing and to check back in 60 days. Is that an accurate time frame or should we start calling to check on the status

Bryan

In reply to by Allison (not verified)

Fri, 10/20/2017 - 13:29 Permalink

Hi Allison,
I really could not say how long it would be, but if your children are eligible you may find an answer from the SSA within the next few months.

Anonymous (not verified)
Fri, 10/20/2017 - 11:46 Permalink

I am the legal guardian of my nephew. His mother started collecting disability payments in 2015 without our knowledge, but passed away earlier this year. I am applying for survivor benefits for my nephew since she has passed, but would he be entitled to receive back pay benefits back to when she originally started collecting in 2015?

Anonymous (not verified)
Sat, 10/21/2017 - 09:31 Permalink

Just wanting to know if a father is receiving SSI and my sister has had his son for 15 years,does he qualify for benefits?

Bryan

In reply to by Anonymous (not verified)

Tue, 10/24/2017 - 09:05 Permalink

Hi there,
He may, but it would not be related to the father receiving SSI as that benefit is income based and does not include child benefits.

Brenda (not verified)
Sun, 10/22/2017 - 19:38 Permalink

I recieve ssi for my two children their father who never paid support recently got approved for ssdi are my children eligible to receive his ssdi and ssi? how does it affect their ssi and disability check as they get older.. tired of living income regulated and oppressed seems like working two jobs and the more I try to get ahead the less we get altogether there is no getting ahead on the ssi program but I want it there for my children who will very well need it in 2 years when they turn 18. I understand ssdi does not restrict resources can they recieve both??

Bryan

In reply to by Brenda (not verified)

Wed, 10/25/2017 - 09:31 Permalink

Hi Brenda,
They may be eligible for SSDI benefits based off of their father's work record, but that would be considered income for the purposes of determining eligibility for SSI benefits. If both of your children receive more than $735 from your ex's SSDI benefits, then they would not be eligible for SSI benefits. In addition, once they turn 18, they would need to re-apply for benefits as adults, but the SSA would not take your income into account ( as it does now) in that case.

Cj (not verified)
Sun, 10/22/2017 - 21:30 Permalink

My kids father gets ssi. I have been told for the last 6 years my children are not eligible. Why not? No one can give me an answer.

Eric

In reply to by Cj (not verified)

Mon, 10/23/2017 - 09:05 Permalink

Hi Cj,

I really can't say for sure, if you're children are under the age of 18 they could qualify for auxiliary benefits.

Samantha (not verified)
Tue, 10/24/2017 - 02:53 Permalink

I am disabled, i have a 11yr old that draws off my disability. I have birth to my s9n 12-2-16, he is disabled, would he be able to recieve his own disability? he is not drawing off mine because they told me i was already at "my family limit " & no need to put him on my disability. & if he is able to draw his own disability how would that be calculated?

David Fowler (not verified)
Tue, 10/24/2017 - 12:36 Permalink

When my daughter gets out of school will I get my social security get a increase

Add new comment

Find Out If I Qualify for Benefits!