Qualifying children

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on

I have children and their father has recently went for a hearing is waiting on a decision. I was told that the kids will qualify for benefits. I have several questions.
How is the amount determined?
What are the rules for the cutoff age to recieve benefits?
Do the children recieve back pay as well?
What steps if any do I need to take to set up their case?
If a child is 18 but still in high school do they qualify, and for how long?

you should know (not verified)
Tue, 11/07/2017 - 00:27 Permalink

The child is entitled an amount equal to 1/2 the benefits. Benefits will be paid will 19 as long as in school. The child will receive back payment as long as the child was filed on the original application by the father. Go to the social security office and submit your information and request benefits on behalf of the child. But when the child turns 18 you are no longer their payee - they are!

Deanna

In reply to by you should know (not verified)

Tue, 11/07/2017 - 08:38 Permalink

This is only true if the child is receiving SSDI on behalf of an adult. At age 18 the child could become the payee of his or her own SSI benefits if he or she doesn't have an intellectual disability. If a child turns 18 while receiving SSDI, the benefits will stop.

Kim (not verified)
Thu, 11/09/2017 - 10:15 Permalink

I have guardianship of my niece since birth(now 13). Mother just started receiving social security (mental). Would my child (niece) be intitled to any?

Bryan

In reply to by Kim (not verified)

Fri, 11/10/2017 - 13:06 Permalink

Hi Kim,
If she is receiving it based on her work record, then your neice may be eligible for benefits.

Becca (not verified)
Sat, 11/11/2017 - 14:08 Permalink

My ex husband receives SSI benefits and has gotten them since he was a child. He has a court order to pay child support and is behind over 10 thousand dollars. Can my kids receive SSI benefits because of him

Bryan

In reply to by Becca (not verified)

Mon, 11/13/2017 - 15:03 Permalink

Hi Becca,
Unfortunately, they may not be eligible as SSI benefits do not include benefits for dependents.

Anonymous (not verified)
Sun, 11/12/2017 - 16:19 Permalink

My 18 year old received a large sum for being a dependent from her fathers disability settlement does she pay taxes on it?

Bryan

In reply to by Anonymous (not verified)

Wed, 11/15/2017 - 09:27 Permalink

Hi there,
You may want to contact the SSA regarding this, as the tax liability, if any, may be on the father, however it's always good to make sure that this would be the case.

gwen (not verified)
Sun, 11/12/2017 - 20:47 Permalink

Ex husband is on disability, i have custody of our grandduaghter. Does this qualify to get benefits?

Iesha (not verified)
Mon, 11/13/2017 - 11:43 Permalink

I have 5 kids by a man who became disabled in 2017, we are no longer together and he does not help with his kids, I have applied for child support, but I was wondering. Hes not on their birthcert but he claimed them on his ssdi do they qualify for ssc

Bryan

In reply to by Iesha (not verified)

Wed, 11/15/2017 - 09:35 Permalink

HI Iesha,
They may be able to, but it may be a good idea to contact the SSA regarding this at 1-800-772-1213.

Dusty (not verified)
Mon, 11/13/2017 - 22:05 Permalink

My mom died in 2014 and i was just now able to get my moms social security number and i turn 18 next month. Will i get money for the years i didn't apply for benefits?

Diana (not verified)
Tue, 11/14/2017 - 13:32 Permalink

I currently receive SSI benefits for my son with a disability. I live on my own with my 2 sons and recently found out I am pregnant. Father of this baby does not live with me, how will this affect my sons benefits

Bryan

In reply to by Diana (not verified)

Wed, 11/15/2017 - 12:49 Permalink

Hi Diana,
It may not affect your son's benefits, however you may want to contact your local SSA office regarding this.

Ali (not verified)
Tue, 11/14/2017 - 16:47 Permalink

I applied for my daughter, but she needs a representative payee, now her father isn't the one claiming her, and neither of us could be the payee since we both have backrounds, so will either of us have to take a paternity since she needs a payee and it isn't us who will be a payee? And will we still have to undergo one if neither of us are the payee?

Bryan

In reply to by Ali (not verified)

Wed, 11/15/2017 - 12:52 Permalink

Hi Ali,
You may want to reach out to a family member or friend that you can trust with the money for your child.

Kandy (not verified)
Wed, 11/15/2017 - 07:20 Permalink

I have guardianship of my 12year old grandaugher she is legally blind. How can i apply for benifits for her

Add new comment

Find Out If I Qualify for Benefits!