Qualifying children

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on

I have children and their father has recently went for a hearing is waiting on a decision. I was told that the kids will qualify for benefits. I have several questions.
How is the amount determined?
What are the rules for the cutoff age to recieve benefits?
Do the children recieve back pay as well?
What steps if any do I need to take to set up their case?
If a child is 18 but still in high school do they qualify, and for how long?

Giselle (not verified)
Tue, 10/24/2017 - 14:50 Permalink

I have been disabled since 2010. I just found out by chance that my daughter, who is now 14, should have been getting benefits as well. I was never told by the attorney that did my case about this. I only receive $750 per month in SSD, nothing else. I’m wondering if she will get back pay? I have read some comments here of someone only getting one year.

Bryan

In reply to by Giselle (not verified)

Wed, 10/25/2017 - 09:57 Permalink

Hi Giselle,
She may be eligible for back pay, it may be a good idea of contacting the SSA regarding this, you can get in touch with them at 1-800-772-1213.

Anonymous (not verified)
Tue, 10/24/2017 - 20:32 Permalink

I was just approved Fully Favorable. I just received one payment ( lump sum) and just received my Medicare card. I had an attorney and he applied for my 3 minor children as well. Yet,nothing has been sent to me for them...will another check come or was that it? I was under the assumption that another lump sum would come and they'd get a monthly amt as well. Am I wrong?
It's only been less than 2 wks since my lump came....does the kids follow usually? Should I be worried or wait longer? Call DSSD?
Thanks for your help

Bryan

In reply to by Anonymous (not verified)

Wed, 10/25/2017 - 09:58 Permalink

Hi there,
You may want to contact them as they'd have specific information about your case. Your children may be eligible for benefits, but it's a good idea to contact the SSA.

Lynne (not verified)
Wed, 10/25/2017 - 21:07 Permalink

I've been collecting disability for ten years now for mental illness. I found out I'm pregnant and the babies father lives in another country and doesn't want to be apart of my decision to have children, would my children qualify for benefits as well?

Niya (not verified)
Thu, 10/26/2017 - 15:18 Permalink

My son gets a disability check for being premature , he is only getting 490 . if i started working would his disability go up to his normal amount

Bryan

In reply to by Niya (not verified)

Tue, 10/31/2017 - 09:16 Permalink

HI Niya,
Disability benefits for children are based on income, and because of this, the more you earn in income, the less your child would receive in benefits.

Maria (not verified)
Thu, 10/26/2017 - 15:49 Permalink

My husband is on ssdi from an accident and we are empty nesters considering adoption. Would an adopted child be eligible for receiving benefits?

Bryan

In reply to by Maria (not verified)

Tue, 10/31/2017 - 09:17 Permalink

Hi Maria,
An adopted child can be eligible for benefits, however you may want to contact the SSA for further information regarding this.

Anonymous (not verified)
Fri, 10/27/2017 - 02:32 Permalink

My daughters father receives SSI and SSDI so can I file for her to receive benefits?

William (not verified)
Fri, 10/27/2017 - 09:10 Permalink

Before my dad passed away he got a lump sum of money and was suppose to recieve another amount in like two months he passed away we heard that it would be divided between us three kids.never seen anything he died 2010 How or what do us kids have to do to find out if we have money or not

Dottie (not verified)
Fri, 10/27/2017 - 13:26 Permalink

I'm confused everyone seems to have gotten back pay. I applied was denied did a appeal this took almost 2 years, but I did not get back pay why is that???

Bryan

In reply to by Dottie (not verified)

Tue, 10/31/2017 - 09:30 Permalink

Hi Dottie,
You may not have been eligible for back pay because the SSA started benefits for you as soon as you were eligible for them.

Daina Reffitt (not verified)
Fri, 10/27/2017 - 18:03 Permalink

My son is on supplemental income ssi can his kids receive a check for him being on supplemental income ? And is it out of my son's check or do they get their own checks ?

Bryan

In reply to by Daina Reffitt (not verified)

Tue, 10/31/2017 - 09:32 Permalink

Hi Daina,
If your son is receiving benefits based on income, then his children would not be eligible for benefits based off of that as SSI does not include dependent benefits. However, if they also are disabled, they may be eligible for benefits as well based on that and their family's income.

Nicole (not verified)
Fri, 10/27/2017 - 22:39 Permalink

Hey, my son had a disability since birth. But, his doctor at the age of five just diagnosed him with ADHD and a development mental delay. The school told me to apply for his benefits. So do they go back or his benefits start as of the date I applied?

Add new comment

Find Out If I Qualify for Benefits!