how do I stop being representative payee?

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Mon, 07/01/2013 - 13:47

I have been my brother's re-payee(sp?) for several years and feel that he is more than capable of handling his own money. What is the process to change this arrangement?

Christy (not verified)
Tue, 12/06/2016 - 14:24 Permalink

I need to change my payee. My friend has moved to another state and is not talking to me. My daughter is 18 can she do it?

Darryl Nichols… (not verified)
Mon, 12/12/2016 - 11:46 Permalink

I wish to change my representative from my sister to my parents


In reply to by Darryl Nichols… (not verified)

Tue, 12/13/2016 - 10:55 Permalink

Hi Darryl,
You may need to contact the SSA regarding this, you can call them at 1-800-772-1213.

Aj (not verified)
Sun, 12/25/2016 - 02:17 Permalink

I've been a payee for awhile but my payee has problems and I don't want to be his payee he used that I was the only one he could get I want to be less stressed and not sure how to get out


In reply to by Aj (not verified)

Tue, 12/27/2016 - 11:18 Permalink

Hi AJ,
You may want to contact the SSA at 1-800-772-1213 and inform them that you no longer want to be a payee. They can then assign a new payee.

ellie (not verified)
Mon, 12/26/2016 - 00:26 Permalink

It's terrible to be a rep payee of an abusive alcoholic . How do I get out of it asap ?


In reply to by ellie (not verified)

Tue, 12/27/2016 - 11:19 Permalink

Hi Ellie,
It may be a good idea to contact the SSA office closest to you and let them know that you cannot be a payee any more, they can assign a new payee.

Jeff (not verified)
Mon, 12/26/2016 - 14:41 Permalink

I am on disability and I am the responsible payee for my son whom moved in with his mom. I am putting the full amount in a checking account for him but I receive additional money from insurance in an amount for 67% of my income that I made at my job. They take out the amount that I make from SSDI and the amount my child gets from SSDI so I am loosing money because of this. His mother has a felony so she cannot be the responsible payee, what would I do in this situation? I do not want to be the responsible payee but there is no one else that can be and it causes me to loose that income.


In reply to by Jeff (not verified)

Tue, 12/27/2016 - 11:22 Permalink

Hi Jeff,
You do not need a family member to be the representative payee, they can be a third party that is not related but is willing to use the funds for the child.

Sha (not verified)
Thu, 01/12/2017 - 05:48 Permalink

How can I stop beening someone payee cause am tier an geting to were I can't do me


In reply to by Sha (not verified)

Tue, 01/17/2017 - 15:42 Permalink

Hi there,
You can stop being someone's payee by contact the SSA at 1-800-772-1213 .

Beth (not verified)
Thu, 01/12/2017 - 09:44 Permalink

How long do u still stay responsible after u are released from being someone ssi payee? I have been off about 4 1/2 years


In reply to by Beth (not verified)

Tue, 01/17/2017 - 15:43 Permalink

Hi Beth,
You will be responsible for any funds that you were given during the period when you were a payee, but you may not be liable for anything else after the SSA changes your payee status.


In reply to by Beth (not verified)

Tue, 01/17/2017 - 15:43 Permalink

Hi Beth,
You may be responsible for any funds that you were given during the period when you were a payee, but you may not be liable for anything else after the SSA changes your payee status.

Springtime (not verified)
Mon, 01/23/2017 - 15:43 Permalink

I am a payee, and the person that I am the payee for has his card himself and also work. I no longer want to be the payee and I do not want to be responsible for him doing the wrong thing. I want out because he pay's his own bills, rent, and buys his own food. He really does not need me. I want out of this responsibility. What do I have to do? I don't want to be responsible for paying any of this money back to SSI.


In reply to by Springtime (not verified)

Thu, 02/02/2017 - 12:56 Permalink

Hi there,
You may want to contact the SSA to have someone else assigned as payee, you can contact them at 1-800-772-1213 .

Kerri Harris (not verified)
Wed, 01/25/2017 - 17:06 Permalink

I want to become my own payee my mom is my payee I feel I can manage my own money I have adhd will it be hard to become my own payee

Anonymous (not verified)
Thu, 02/02/2017 - 08:45 Permalink

I have been a rep/payee for my daughter in law for 9 years,But her mental handicap,causes her to being short tempered and very moody.I'm 64 and need to get some one else for her.
She's hard to deal with and is be coming consistently worse


In reply to by Anonymous (not verified)

Thu, 02/02/2017 - 09:02 Permalink

Hi there,
You may want to contact the SSA regarding this, you can do so by calling 1-800-772-1213 or by visiting . They can re-assign a payee for you.

rose (not verified)
Mon, 02/06/2017 - 11:36 Permalink

my mom is the payee of my disable sister and now she has a medical issue where she can not manage her own money. my other sister who leaves in another state wants to be my sisters payee and move her to her house.and i want to be my moms payee. how long is the process? can it be done the same day?


In reply to by rose (not verified)

Mon, 02/06/2017 - 12:53 Permalink

Hi Rose,
I'm not sure how long it would take exactly, however you may be able to ask for the SSA to make those changes in the same day. You may want to give them a call at 1-800-772-1213

Mona (not verified)
Tue, 02/07/2017 - 14:49 Permalink

Hi, I am my brother's representative but no longer wanr to be. He just got married can I switch it into his wife's name?


In reply to by Mona (not verified)

Tue, 02/07/2017 - 16:19 Permalink

Hi Mona,
To change your rep payee, you must fill out an application at your local SSA office. The person you select must submit a letter saying he or she is willing to serve as your rep payee. He or she must be able to prove who they are.

Best Wishes,

LAW (not verified)
Wed, 02/08/2017 - 15:15 Permalink

How does my mother remove her name from being my brother's payee. He constantly bullies her into giving him his entire check. When this happens, he's using drugs until it's gone. He's threatening my mother, mentally & physically. Then some more when his check is gone. She has spoken with a rep @ the social security office, his case worker @ METRO CARE. Both tells her the same, you have to speak with Metro care or you have to speak with the Social security office. Please advise. Thanks a bunch


In reply to by LAW (not verified)

Mon, 02/13/2017 - 14:56 Permalink

Hi there,
You may want to contact the social security office's national line at 1-800-772-1213, they may be able to help you re-assign your brother's payee.

Michael (not verified)
Fri, 02/10/2017 - 16:36 Permalink

I need my to stop being my payee asap so she has no control of my money de are suppose to be separate. she says she want a divorce she doesnot need to be gandleing my money


In reply to by Michael (not verified)

Tue, 02/14/2017 - 12:59 Permalink

Hi Michael,
You may want to contact your local SSA office and have them re-assign your payee due to your changing marital status.

sherry (not verified)
Mon, 02/13/2017 - 19:52 Permalink

Can i stop being someones payee on line?

Kim s. (not verified)
Sat, 02/18/2017 - 17:24 Permalink

After filling out the form of no longer wanting to be representative payee, what should I do/ should happen to the bank acoount that I was open for that person? Should I close it or just notify the bank?


In reply to by Kim s. (not verified)

Mon, 02/20/2017 - 11:11 Permalink

Hi Kim,
I would wait until a new payee is assigned, and then hand off those funds to them. You may want to contact your local SSA office for more details about how to do so.

Sue (not verified)
Thu, 02/23/2017 - 19:45 Permalink

Will Disability approve my husband to be my Payee without Dr approval.


In reply to by Sue (not verified)

Fri, 02/24/2017 - 10:01 Permalink

Hi Sue,
Your husband may be able to be your payee, however I could not say if the SSA would approve him as a payee.

Caren Rever (not verified)
Mon, 02/27/2017 - 10:58 Permalink

My Grand son has lived with me for several years but has only had SSI for about 2 years now. He wants to go stay with his Uncle for awhile can I still remain his payee or not? I don't no how it works for some but I heard if you make to much money he wouldn't be approved anyway, they approved me right away saying it was because I was his grandmother and didn't need income. But main concern is can I still remain being his payee?


In reply to by Caren Rever (not verified)

Wed, 03/01/2017 - 12:21 Permalink

Hi Caren,
You may be able to stay his payee, however if you would be unable to provide the funds for the child while he is staying with his uncle, you may want to contact the SSA and have them re-assign payees.

Anonymous (not verified)
Wed, 03/01/2017 - 12:38 Permalink

My brother needs to be his own payee how do we get my name off and put it in his name?

Allison (not verified)
Fri, 03/03/2017 - 15:38 Permalink

What documentation is needed to take along to social security when changing a rep payee?


In reply to by Allison (not verified)

Tue, 03/07/2017 - 08:24 Permalink

Hi Allison,
The safest bet would be to call the SSA and make sure you have everything necessary. You can do so toll-free at 1-800-772-1213.

Anonymous (not verified)
Wed, 03/08/2017 - 13:00 Permalink

I know longer want to be my brother,s payee how to stop


In reply to by Anonymous (not verified)

Wed, 03/08/2017 - 14:58 Permalink

Hi there,
Please notify the SSA immediately if you wish not to be your brother's payee. You can do so at 1-800-772-1213

Donta McHenry (not verified)
Thu, 03/09/2017 - 17:52 Permalink

How can I be a payee


In reply to by Donta McHenry (not verified)

Wed, 03/15/2017 - 10:23 Permalink

Hi Donta,
The SSA generally assigns payees, you may want to contact them regarding this, you can do so by calling 1-800-772-1213 or by going to

L Bender (not verified)
Tue, 03/14/2017 - 18:47 Permalink

I have been the payee for my brother and recently i have had situations come up in my own immediate family and feel like I need to pass his payee over to my sister. How do we go about that?

Lisa (not verified)
Mon, 03/20/2017 - 14:40 Permalink

I'm married to my husband an have been his payee since 2007 an in Nov 2016 I tried to kill myself to not deal with his crazy ideas that I was taking his money an buying what I wanted I have always paid all his bills on 3rd till may 2016 he took atm card away from me an if I go in bank he goes with me now which is fine I have proof with my bank how I always draw money out how much I left in for him to go the rest of month. But I'm tired of being threating every time he has a spell or quits taking his mental meds an says He's the man it's his money and I would give it to him or he could put me in jail or take it himself. This has gotten violent a few times an I just can't deal with being responsible for him an him not pay what he's suppose to an blame me. I want out of payee if it goes back to him his dad or his sister but not me.


In reply to by Lisa (not verified)

Mon, 03/20/2017 - 16:21 Permalink

Hi Lisa,

I am sorry to hear that. You could go to your local Social Security Administration office and fill out the paperwork to no longer be the payee. If you do not have a replacement, the SSA will name someone else to become her payee.

Best Wishes,

Anonymous (not verified)
Tue, 03/28/2017 - 00:26 Permalink

I have been my partners payee for a year , and I want to remove my name from being there payee ,what can I do, can I go to a random office or to the specific office where I became his payee

Add new comment