how do I stop being representative payee?

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Mon, 07/01/2013 - 13:47

I have been my brother's re-payee(sp?) for several years and feel that he is more than capable of handling his own money. What is the process to change this arrangement?

Lorrie (not verified)

In reply to by Eric

Sun, 07/09/2017 - 22:39 Permalink

I have been to my local SSA several times. They say they can't assign someone else. They say it is my responsibility to find a payee or my son's responsibility. They said they are too busy to do that.

Foley Nash (not verified)
Fri, 07/07/2017 - 10:20 Permalink

I need to stop being a representative payee. What is the process for me to initiate this change?


In reply to by Foley Nash (not verified)

Fri, 07/07/2017 - 14:27 Permalink

Hi there,
You would need to contact the SSA and request to have someone else be assigned as payee.

Krist (not verified)
Fri, 07/07/2017 - 13:13 Permalink

Do any one know how long it take to get ssi check after rep payee is changed?


In reply to by Krist (not verified)

Fri, 07/07/2017 - 14:23 Permalink

Hi Krist,
I really could not say, but you may want to stay in touch with the former representative payee regarding this as they can confirm that they have stopped receiving benefits for the person that they were payee for.

Jess (not verified)
Sat, 07/22/2017 - 09:32 Permalink

If i longer want to be someone's payee will it affect their payments without one??


In reply to by Jess (not verified)

Mon, 07/24/2017 - 09:36 Permalink

Hi Jess,

If you wish not to be someone's representative payee, the SSA will assign someone else and no it will not affect their benefits.


Tina Parchman-Hill (not verified)
Sat, 07/29/2017 - 23:10 Permalink

Me and my husband are separated and he put me down on his disability claim how do I get my name off.


In reply to by Tina Parchman-Hill (not verified)

Mon, 07/31/2017 - 17:11 Permalink

Hi Tina,

You would have to go to your local SSA office and they will assign another payee.


concerned mom (not verified)
Tue, 08/01/2017 - 11:32 Permalink

My son is causing me problems regarding his disability. He is getting somewhat better but not well enough to be off disability. I am his payee and would like to be off this. He has cirrhosis and medication is helping but still has flare ups. If payment put in his name how much of a problem does this cause? If a state representative was to take over how is this handle so his bills are paid and he has money for food, toiletries and gas for anyone taking him to his doctors. This has done nothing but cause problems and am to old for this drama. I also have another grown child who is terminal. What do I do???????


In reply to by concerned mom (not verified)

Wed, 08/02/2017 - 09:37 Permalink

Hi There,

I am very sorry to hear that. You would have to go to your local SSA office and they will assign another payee.

Leticia molina (not verified)
Tue, 08/08/2017 - 10:41 Permalink

I have been my daughters payee for 8 yrs and i feel she is ready to be more independent with her money. She can't work do to her disability but she pays her own bills helps me with rent and i work so i can't be there when she needs to go to the bank but i really feel she is ready


In reply to by Leticia molina (not verified)

Tue, 08/08/2017 - 10:42 Permalink

Hi there,
You may want to contact the SSA regarding this, they may be able to help you in regards to her payee status. You can contact the SSA at 1-800-772-1213.

Valerie (not verified)
Sun, 08/13/2017 - 01:00 Permalink

I have been my brother payee every since i got his disability benefits on my own with no lawyer I applied all his money to his necessary needs now I think he is back to using drugs and drinking and now he is saying I am stealing his money I am tired of dealing with all of this and I no longer wants to be his payee how do I take myself off he has worried me to death..


In reply to by Valerie (not verified)

Tue, 08/15/2017 - 09:21 Permalink

Hi Valerie,

You can go to your local SSA office and schedule an appointment and they will assign another payee for you.


Dannielle (not verified)
Fri, 08/18/2017 - 03:28 Permalink

My daughter ran away and now she's pregnantand I'm her payee but I don't want to be her payee any more since she said I don't give her any of her check which paided the rent and clothes what can I do


In reply to by Dannielle (not verified)

Fri, 08/18/2017 - 09:04 Permalink

Hi Danielle,

You would have to schedule an appointment with your local SSA office. They will assign another payee.


Yolanda (not verified)
Sun, 08/20/2017 - 04:44 Permalink

My son went to college in Tennessee. i am currently his payee in Mississippi do I have to get him another payee in Tennessee


In reply to by Yolanda (not verified)

Mon, 08/21/2017 - 10:18 Permalink

Hi Yolanda,
You may not need to do so if you are able to use his benefits for his expenses.

Dave (not verified)
Mon, 08/21/2017 - 17:50 Permalink

I'm asked to become my cousin payee thru the family.An my cousin is 36..his old payee is moving out of town.but I have a felony.7 years ago.does that stop me from being able to be his payee.what all do I do.I'm the last of family here.

Sherrezze (not verified)

Sally (not verified)
Tue, 08/29/2017 - 19:06 Permalink

My mom is payee over my check she smokes crack and treats me very horriable I'm ready to get rid of her how do i go about getting a new payee the process.

Sally (not verified)
Tue, 08/29/2017 - 21:27 Permalink

My mom is trying to take my check this month can I freeze my check til I find a new payee.


In reply to by Sally (not verified)

Wed, 08/30/2017 - 11:24 Permalink

Hi Sally,
You may want to contact the SSA regarding this, they may be able to do this for you.

damari moland (not verified)
Wed, 08/30/2017 - 12:32 Permalink

what if the beneficiary is homeless and you no longer want to become the payee anymore how does someone go about that

Unknown (not verified)
Wed, 08/30/2017 - 12:42 Permalink

I am my sister's payee, and she demands I give her all her benefit money for her own control. Though, through my understanding, my job as payee is to monitor and assist with how she spends the benefits. I am not supposed to just hand over the money and let her do as she pleases and we go our separate in this case what do I do? I don't want to get into any altercation with her, and don't want any trouble for myself from SSA. She's very demanding and vindictive. I just don't want to be her payee anymore. Please help?


In reply to by Unknown (not verified)

Wed, 08/30/2017 - 13:14 Permalink

HI there,
You may want to call the SSA at 1-800-772-1213 and let them know about this, you can have her payee re-assigned.

Alexandra (not verified)
Sun, 09/17/2017 - 01:08 Permalink

Hello. My ex and I have a disabled child. I was my sons payee before, but my ex received discretion in court. Now my ex is still a payee, and his mother has my sons direct express card. My ex is now in jail on drug charges, and is not getting out anytime soon. I am going to court to file for custody. I take care of my son. How do I file to be the payee so I can properly take care of his needs?

Maria (not verified)
Wed, 09/20/2017 - 20:15 Permalink

I no longer care for my nephew and no longer want to be his representative payee. I have called and reported this to the Social Security people but they ask if I have another person in mind. I do not. Can his Father take over as payee since the Social Security is coming from him? My nephew is now with his Mother who is not responsible with even this little $47 and will be 18 in July. What is his options?


In reply to by Maria (not verified)

Thu, 09/21/2017 - 09:12 Permalink

Hi Maria,
He may be able to have his father be the payee if he meets the SSA's requirements for a representative payee.

Michelle (not verified)
Thu, 09/21/2017 - 07:19 Permalink

I'm my daughters rep payee. She's staying with her dad in Florida hes going down today 9/21 to switch the rep payee. Who will get the next month's payment?


In reply to by Michelle (not verified)

Thu, 09/21/2017 - 09:06 Permalink

Hi Michelle,
If you are drawing from the same dedicated account for your child, it would be deposited in that account.

Evelyn (not verified)
Fri, 09/22/2017 - 15:39 Permalink

I went to the Social Security office to have myself removed as payee for my son who is abusive and angry with me all of the time. My health is failing and I cannot do this job anymore. they told me I had to come back with someone to take over the job but there isn't a single person who knows my son who will do the job. SSI needs to handle this, not me. What do I do?


In reply to by Evelyn (not verified)

Mon, 09/25/2017 - 14:55 Permalink

Hi Evelyn,
The SSA can appoint a payee, however you may still want to contact someone that you would be able to trust with the responsibility.

Kim (not verified)
Wed, 09/27/2017 - 15:12 Permalink

I am the rep pyee for my adult child, he works 1 day per week, they are counting the intire household income to determine his pmt, if i take my name off as rep pyee, will they stop counting the whole households income & only count his? It is dragging us down now more than ever


In reply to by Kim (not verified)

Wed, 09/27/2017 - 16:48 Permalink

Hi Kim,
If he is over 18, then they may count housing and other support that you give him as income, changing his payee would not affect his benefits in that way.

Anonymous (not verified)
Thu, 09/28/2017 - 18:40 Permalink

I have a friend that started receiving disability benefits as a minor.His Mother is payee but know he's out on his own can he get his own benefits not a payee


In reply to by Anonymous (not verified)

Fri, 09/29/2017 - 09:19 Permalink

Hi There,

I don't know the specifics of his case, so I really can't say. However, it is common for people that have representative payee's to be able to switch over time so they are in control of their own benefits.

Jason (not verified)
Fri, 09/29/2017 - 03:57 Permalink

My ex is payee for my sons ssi benefits and when we split up my son stayed with me. I went to go switch to be his payee and they wouldn't let me cuz i didnt have proper paper work to prove he was living with me in my care. Now his benefits aren't going to the card with his mothers name on it. Would me going out there to get a new card but not being able to stop his benefits from going to that card until i get proper paperwork?


In reply to by Jason (not verified)

Fri, 09/29/2017 - 09:20 Permalink

HI Jason,
I'm sorry to hear about that! You may want to contact the SSA with information that proves that he is in your care, such as mail addressed to him at your house.

Georgia Hamilton (not verified)
Wed, 10/04/2017 - 11:52 Permalink

I want to stop been Mary Jones payee because I have so much responsibility on my hand I would like for you to take me off her payee please thank you


In reply to by Georgia Hamilton (not verified)

Wed, 10/04/2017 - 17:11 Permalink

Hi Georgia,

We aren't affiliated with the SSA so we cannot assist you with that. You have to schedule an appointment with your local SSA office to do that.

Mel Morrissey (not verified)
Tue, 10/10/2017 - 13:11 Permalink

Been payee of my sister for 2 1/2 yrs. How do I get county to assign someone else as payee? She keeps opening credit accts, doesn't tell me about them. Now how purchased a new car. There just is not enough money to pay her housing and car payment and insurance and have groceries in the house.

Add new comment