how do I stop being representative payee?

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Mon, 07/01/2013 - 13:47

I have been my brother's re-payee(sp?) for several years and feel that he is more than capable of handling his own money. What is the process to change this arrangement?

bill (not verified)
Thu, 04/21/2016 - 19:00 Permalink

i am my sons ssi payee how do i change that to someone else


In reply to by bill (not verified)

Mon, 04/25/2016 - 14:44 Permalink

Hi Bill,
I would contact your local SSA office and inform them that you wish to no longer be a representative payee, and I would also give them the information for the next payee.

Amber (not verified)
Sun, 04/24/2016 - 13:42 Permalink

My husband is payee for his father however after an altercation he gave the card to his father and is no longer over his funds, now the government wants breakdown of how his funds were spent....what does my husband to do and can he go to jail for this


In reply to by Amber (not verified)

Mon, 04/25/2016 - 14:42 Permalink

Hi Amber,
I would contact the your father in law and ask him for any records that he has regarding his spending of his benefits. After that, I would contact the SSA and have your father in law's payee changed.

Tasha (not verified)
Mon, 04/25/2016 - 01:13 Permalink

I was someone's payee in the past and they called and asked me to re sign up as their payee.... is that allowed?


In reply to by Tasha (not verified)

Mon, 04/25/2016 - 14:43 Permalink

Hi Tasha,
If you are not otherwise ineligible to be a representative payee, you may be able to be their payee again.

Amy (not verified)
Mon, 05/02/2016 - 05:37 Permalink

My mother has been my rep payee for my mental condition. I receive a check on the 1st and 3rd off each month , directly deposited into our checking account where we are both listed on the bank account but she is listed
first and showing as my rep payee of course. Iwant to get back together with my husband whom I am still legally married to and move return to his home to live with him where him and I will reside together alone. I want to change my rep payee from my mother (who I myself chose from the start), to my still yet husband once im living again with him. My question's are, what process would this be, does my mother have to go with me to SSA, to make this change of switching payers (she's has very bad health issue's now and doesn't like to go anywhere, and will it change my disability and sis payments if I return living with my husband.


In reply to by Amy (not verified)

Mon, 05/02/2016 - 09:53 Permalink

Hi Amy,
You would have to contact the SSA to find out what exactly you would need to do to change your payee, it may be a different process for you than others. Also, if your husband's income was factored into your SSI determination, your benefits may not change if you move back in with your husband.

Barbara Salzman (not verified)
Mon, 05/02/2016 - 13:52 Permalink

I would like a form to stop having a payee. They are not apt to handle financial affairs. I already had a payee and they made so many horrible mistakes, some of which I never resolved


In reply to by Barbara Salzman (not verified)

Mon, 05/02/2016 - 14:08 Permalink

Hi Barbara,
As we are not affiliated with the SSA, we don't have access to those forms. I would contact the SSA at or at 1-800-772-1213 and they could point you in the right direction regarding these forms.

F. Ervin (not verified)
Tue, 05/03/2016 - 09:04 Permalink

I just became rep for my nephew in dec. 2016. His check stopped in January. February they sent a letter saying he had been 10,000 over paid which his mom had him and was rep at that time am I still require to pay that back because in over him now


In reply to by F. Ervin (not verified)

Tue, 05/03/2016 - 09:21 Permalink

Hi F,
I would contact the SSA about this, they may have said your nephew had been overpaid in error, it also may be that the mother would be obligated to repay the money as she was his representative during the time in which he was overpaid.

ShanaB (not verified)
Mon, 05/09/2016 - 22:37 Permalink

When someone goes down to switch their payee, how long before the new payee is active as the new representative payee? Thanks


In reply to by ShanaB (not verified)

Tue, 05/10/2016 - 09:40 Permalink

Hi Shana,
The SSA would be able to let you know, it may be as soon as your next disability payment depending on when you had it changed.

Tracy (not verified)
Tue, 05/10/2016 - 09:18 Permalink

What do I do in the case that I feel I am capable of handling my own Affairs and my own money and don't need to payee


In reply to by Tracy (not verified)

Tue, 05/10/2016 - 09:40 Permalink

Hi Tracy,
If the SSA does not require you to have a payee due to your disability, you can contact them and make yourself your own payee.

Sue (not verified)
Wed, 05/11/2016 - 08:00 Permalink

I am payee for my grand daughter. I have not seen her for awhile. I send her money but with contact. I would like to stop being her payee, and stop her ssi benefits. How do I do this.


In reply to by Sue (not verified)

Wed, 05/11/2016 - 10:48 Permalink

Hi Sue,
I'm not sure you would be able to stop her SSI benefits, but if you'd like to stop being a payee, I would contact the SSA, inform them that you no longer wish to be her payee, and then fill out any paperwork the send you pertaining to quitting your role as a representative payee. Additionally, her SSI benefits are intended to maintain or improve your granddaughter's living conditions, so if you are not regularly doing so or using those benefits for anything else, you may be committing fraud.

Lorrie (not verified)
Sat, 05/14/2016 - 18:55 Permalink

I am my adult son's payee. I think he stopped taking his medicine so now he doesn't trust me and thinks I am taking his money. He wants to be in charge of his own money. I am tired of his angry rant text messages and coming here yelling at me. Should I just go to ssa and be done with it? I don't think he can handle his own money.


In reply to by Lorrie (not verified)

Mon, 05/16/2016 - 15:30 Permalink

Hi Lorrie,
If you do not believe that your son can handle his own money, I would not stop being his payee. He could try to become his own payee at his local SSA office, but the SSA will revaluate his claim if he tries to do this to make sure he is still actually disabled.

Abigail Smith (not verified)
Fri, 05/20/2016 - 19:29 Permalink

How do i find new representatives for my brother and my friend ?


In reply to by Abigail Smith (not verified)

Mon, 05/23/2016 - 16:16 Permalink

Hi Abigail,
I would contact the SSA at 1-800-772-1213, they would be able to help you find new representatives for your brother and friend.

nmrt (not verified)
Sat, 05/21/2016 - 17:13 Permalink

I am payee for someone, went to check on them they no longer live where they were. I do not know where they are what can I do


In reply to by nmrt (not verified)

Mon, 05/23/2016 - 16:08 Permalink

Hi there,
I would first try to make contact with this person, and failing that, I would contact the local authorities, if this person is not able to take care of themselves or handle their own money, they may be in trouble.

Sheilaashworth… (not verified)
Tue, 05/31/2016 - 08:41 Permalink

I am payee and the person has been handeling his on check for over a year


In reply to by Sheilaashworth… (not verified)

Tue, 05/31/2016 - 10:15 Permalink

Hi Sheila,
It may be a good idea to contact the SSA and let them know this, you may be liable for any misuse of this person's benefits. You can contact the SSA at 1-800-772-1213 and ask them to remove you as a payee from this person's account.

Christy (not verified)
Wed, 06/01/2016 - 11:59 Permalink

What to do when someone switches you from being the payee without your consent or knowledge


In reply to by Christy (not verified)

Wed, 06/01/2016 - 14:01 Permalink

Hi Christy,
As the SSA determines who can be a representative payee, I would contact the SSA about this. You can call them at 1-800-772-1213.

Deborah kieser (not verified)
Thu, 06/09/2016 - 17:35 Permalink

I am half sister payee do I need go in for her change payee or she can do it without me or do it onlune


In reply to by Deborah kieser (not verified)

Fri, 06/10/2016 - 14:20 Permalink

Hi Deborah,
Either you or your sister can change the payee, but you cannot do it online. You will need to visit your local SSA office.

Deb (not verified)
Sat, 06/11/2016 - 18:39 Permalink

How I stop being a payee for someone on ssi don't want be

TYNISE (not verified)
Mon, 06/13/2016 - 20:38 Permalink


Jay (not verified)
Tue, 06/14/2016 - 14:04 Permalink

If I'm payee for both a child and his mother, can the mother change me as payee for the child ? I don't want to be the payee for the mother anymore.


In reply to by Jay (not verified)

Wed, 06/15/2016 - 10:02 Permalink

Hi Jay,
The SSA has the final say in appointing payees, so they may decide to stick with the same payee regardless of the mother's want to change payees.

Jean (not verified)
Wed, 06/15/2016 - 06:53 Permalink

I was my adult daughter rep payee in the past. Don't know how I was removed several years ago, but I was. She is incapable of handling her money. Her benefits are received on the 3rd and gone four days later. She lives with me but contributes no money. I do not want to be re assigned because of the stress I encountered from her in the past, but SSA need to definitely assign her a rep. What should should I do to make this happen. Don't think she is taking her meds.

kathy m (not verified)
Fri, 06/17/2016 - 13:30 Permalink

I get ssI but my mother gives me only 300 dollars a mouth... so can my mother
be my payee...but me and my son are movin to upstate with husben and mother inlaw


In reply to by kathy m (not verified)

Fri, 06/17/2016 - 15:05 Permalink

Hi Kathy,
I am sorry to hear that. If you have a suitable substitute, you can always go to your local SSA office and switch the payee.

anamarie (not verified)
Wed, 06/22/2016 - 14:07 Permalink

Hey , i have had ssi but never got money out of it. I do but my mom keeps it all. But i have a baby and im 17 . I work and do good in school. Want to move out but i want my ssi. I need it for bills and drs n stuff. What should i do ?


In reply to by anamarie (not verified)

Thu, 06/23/2016 - 13:34 Permalink

Hi Anamarie,

Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do right now. Once you are 18, you will be able to take over your SSI payments on your own. Until then, your mom will have to keep receiving them.

Shelby Mcneill (not verified)
Tue, 07/05/2016 - 13:20 Permalink

I am a rep. Payee for a friend. She has left my residence and moved in with a boy that is running from the law. I need to change my name off of her check and put her dad back over it. What do I have to do?


In reply to by Shelby Mcneill (not verified)

Tue, 07/05/2016 - 16:56 Permalink

Hi Shelby,
I would call the SSA and tell them that you can no longer be this person's representative payee, they would be able to help you and find a new representative payee for your friend.

lauren Hunter (not verified)
Wed, 07/20/2016 - 13:52 Permalink


I was my grandmother payee for almost 4 years and my uncle(grandmothers son) changed it to him without my grandmother being present. We went to our local SS office and changed it back, but how was he able to do that without my grandmother being present. Also is it possible to block him from trying to do it again?


In reply to by lauren Hunter (not verified)

Wed, 07/20/2016 - 15:15 Permalink

Hi Lauren,
I'm sorry to hear that. I'm not sure how you could prevent this from happening in the future! That would be a good question for someone at your local SSA office.

anoymous (not verified)
Sat, 07/23/2016 - 06:46 Permalink

What do you do if you are payee of a 17 yr. old and have legal custody of them and they decide that they want to no longer live at your residence


In reply to by anoymous (not verified)

Tue, 07/26/2016 - 11:45 Permalink
Hi there, I would talk to your payee and make sure they understand the significance of them moving out. If you have further questions regarding your specific scenario/benefits, call Social Security's toll-free number, 1-800-772-1213, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. on business days.
Anonymous (not verified)
Sun, 07/24/2016 - 23:53 Permalink

My grandma is my moms payee but is retired now and suffering failing health, how would i go about being next payee if she were to pass away


In reply to by Anonymous (not verified)

Tue, 07/26/2016 - 11:46 Permalink
Hi there, call Social Security's toll-free number, 1-800-772-1213, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. on business days to change who will be your mother's payee next. If you are deaf or hard of hearing, you may call our toll-free TTY number, 1-800-325-0778, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. on business days or call your local Social Security office between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. on business days.

Add new comment