how do I stop being representative payee?

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Mon, 07/01/2013 - 13:47

I have been my brother's re-payee(sp?) for several years and feel that he is more than capable of handling his own money. What is the process to change this arrangement?

Unknown (not verified)
Wed, 08/30/2017 - 12:42 Permalink

I am my sister's payee, and she demands I give her all her benefit money for her own control. Though, through my understanding, my job as payee is to monitor and assist with how she spends the benefits. I am not supposed to just hand over the money and let her do as she pleases and we go our separate in this case what do I do? I don't want to get into any altercation with her, and don't want any trouble for myself from SSA. She's very demanding and vindictive. I just don't want to be her payee anymore. Please help?


In reply to by Unknown (not verified)

Wed, 08/30/2017 - 13:14 Permalink

HI there,
You may want to call the SSA at 1-800-772-1213 and let them know about this, you can have her payee re-assigned.

Alexandra (not verified)
Sun, 09/17/2017 - 01:08 Permalink

Hello. My ex and I have a disabled child. I was my sons payee before, but my ex received discretion in court. Now my ex is still a payee, and his mother has my sons direct express card. My ex is now in jail on drug charges, and is not getting out anytime soon. I am going to court to file for custody. I take care of my son. How do I file to be the payee so I can properly take care of his needs?

Maria (not verified)
Wed, 09/20/2017 - 20:15 Permalink

I no longer care for my nephew and no longer want to be his representative payee. I have called and reported this to the Social Security people but they ask if I have another person in mind. I do not. Can his Father take over as payee since the Social Security is coming from him? My nephew is now with his Mother who is not responsible with even this little $47 and will be 18 in July. What is his options?


In reply to by Maria (not verified)

Thu, 09/21/2017 - 09:12 Permalink

Hi Maria,
He may be able to have his father be the payee if he meets the SSA's requirements for a representative payee.

Michelle (not verified)
Thu, 09/21/2017 - 07:19 Permalink

I'm my daughters rep payee. She's staying with her dad in Florida hes going down today 9/21 to switch the rep payee. Who will get the next month's payment?


In reply to by Michelle (not verified)

Thu, 09/21/2017 - 09:06 Permalink

Hi Michelle,
If you are drawing from the same dedicated account for your child, it would be deposited in that account.

Evelyn (not verified)
Fri, 09/22/2017 - 15:39 Permalink

I went to the Social Security office to have myself removed as payee for my son who is abusive and angry with me all of the time. My health is failing and I cannot do this job anymore. they told me I had to come back with someone to take over the job but there isn't a single person who knows my son who will do the job. SSI needs to handle this, not me. What do I do?


In reply to by Evelyn (not verified)

Mon, 09/25/2017 - 14:55 Permalink

Hi Evelyn,
The SSA can appoint a payee, however you may still want to contact someone that you would be able to trust with the responsibility.

Kim (not verified)
Wed, 09/27/2017 - 15:12 Permalink

I am the rep pyee for my adult child, he works 1 day per week, they are counting the intire household income to determine his pmt, if i take my name off as rep pyee, will they stop counting the whole households income & only count his? It is dragging us down now more than ever


In reply to by Kim (not verified)

Wed, 09/27/2017 - 16:48 Permalink

Hi Kim,
If he is over 18, then they may count housing and other support that you give him as income, changing his payee would not affect his benefits in that way.

Anonymous (not verified)
Thu, 09/28/2017 - 18:40 Permalink

I have a friend that started receiving disability benefits as a minor.His Mother is payee but know he's out on his own can he get his own benefits not a payee


In reply to by Anonymous (not verified)

Fri, 09/29/2017 - 09:19 Permalink

Hi There,

I don't know the specifics of his case, so I really can't say. However, it is common for people that have representative payee's to be able to switch over time so they are in control of their own benefits.

Jason (not verified)
Fri, 09/29/2017 - 03:57 Permalink

My ex is payee for my sons ssi benefits and when we split up my son stayed with me. I went to go switch to be his payee and they wouldn't let me cuz i didnt have proper paper work to prove he was living with me in my care. Now his benefits aren't going to the card with his mothers name on it. Would me going out there to get a new card but not being able to stop his benefits from going to that card until i get proper paperwork?


In reply to by Jason (not verified)

Fri, 09/29/2017 - 09:20 Permalink

HI Jason,
I'm sorry to hear about that! You may want to contact the SSA with information that proves that he is in your care, such as mail addressed to him at your house.

Georgia Hamilton (not verified)
Wed, 10/04/2017 - 11:52 Permalink

I want to stop been Mary Jones payee because I have so much responsibility on my hand I would like for you to take me off her payee please thank you


In reply to by Georgia Hamilton (not verified)

Wed, 10/04/2017 - 17:11 Permalink

Hi Georgia,

We aren't affiliated with the SSA so we cannot assist you with that. You have to schedule an appointment with your local SSA office to do that.

Mel Morrissey (not verified)
Tue, 10/10/2017 - 13:11 Permalink

Been payee of my sister for 2 1/2 yrs. How do I get county to assign someone else as payee? She keeps opening credit accts, doesn't tell me about them. Now how purchased a new car. There just is not enough money to pay her housing and car payment and insurance and have groceries in the house.

Add new comment

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.