Qualifying children

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Wed, 10/26/2011 - 13:47

I have children and their father has recently went for a hearing is waiting on a decision. I was told that the kids will qualify for benefits. I have several questions.
How is the amount determined?
What are the rules for the cutoff age to recieve benefits?
Do the children recieve back pay as well?
What steps if any do I need to take to set up their case?
If a child is 18 but still in high school do they qualify, and for how long?

jennifer (not verified)
Wed, 12/09/2015 - 11:15 Permalink

my daughter receives Social Security thru her deceased father. She will be turning 18 in March. I want to know, does she continue to get monthly payments until she turns 18 or until she graduates in June? And, what if she continues in school, does she not receive it until she graduates from College, if she furthers her education?


In reply to by jennifer (not verified)

Fri, 12/11/2015 - 16:39 Permalink

Hi Jennifer,
She will receive benefits until she graduates high school or is 19 and two months old and is still in high school. She will not be eligible for benefits in college.

Mary (not verified)
Thu, 12/10/2015 - 05:55 Permalink

If my child receives ssdi off her deceased father and she is pregnant will her child be able to get ssdi off him


In reply to by Mary (not verified)

Fri, 12/18/2015 - 13:26 Permalink

No. The deceased father had no relation to the child. Grandparents can only give benefits if they legally adopt their grandchildren or if the parents are disabled or deceased.

wondering (not verified)
Thu, 12/10/2015 - 13:19 Permalink

Can a dependent child who lives with aunt and uncle (uncle draws disability) be entitled to any benefits. Child is 13 and has lived with them since age of 2 but not by any adoption or waiver of rights, all was done verbally. But aunt and uncle claimed him as dependent in past on taxes.

ms.johnson (not verified)
Fri, 12/11/2015 - 10:43 Permalink

I have questions my 3 kids father receives SSI my kids are 14/13/12 I have been taking care of them by myself since I had my 12 year old he does nothing the social security office told me that I couldn't get any money from his ssi because of his work history what do I do please somebody tell me


In reply to by ms.johnson (not verified)

Fri, 12/18/2015 - 13:28 Permalink

The Social Security office was right, you cannot receive auxiliary benefits from his SSI benefits. This is because he never worked and paid Social Security taxes. Your best bet would be to contact child services and see if they can order him to pay child support.

SHale (not verified)
Sat, 12/12/2015 - 11:53 Permalink

My daughter's mother is deceased and her aunt was granted full custody. The SS Benefits were going to the aunt for my daughter. Just recently, I have been granted temporary custody of my daughter and would like to know if I can have the SS Benefits changed to come to me since I am the one responsible for her sole support.


In reply to by SHale (not verified)

Fri, 12/18/2015 - 13:29 Permalink

Hi Shale,
Potentially, but you only have temporary custody, so you may not be able to receive the benefits. You need to schedule an appointment with your local SSA office to file the paperwork to become a representative payee.

Jerri (not verified)
Wed, 12/16/2015 - 10:51 Permalink

My daughter receives support because her father draws SSDI. I was recently made aware he is in legal trouble and could go to prison. If this happens will my daughter lose her dependents disability support?


In reply to by Jerri (not verified)

Fri, 12/18/2015 - 15:35 Permalink

Hi Jerri,
Yes, if her father is in prison for more than one month and he loses his benefits, then your daughter will also lose her benefits.

Bobbie (not verified)
Thu, 12/17/2015 - 08:24 Permalink

Hi, my daughter's father passed away in Dec. 2014. We were told that she will be receiving survivors benefits every month and they will start in January 2016. I was told about the need to spend only on her and to record every transaction when it comes to using that money. Yesterday, we received a check in the mail for her father's back disability benefits. My question is, does this money work the same way too? Do I need to start recording transactions for that money as well?
Thank you


In reply to by Bobbie (not verified)

Fri, 12/18/2015 - 16:17 Permalink

Hi Bobbie,
So long as the back pay was for the FATHER and not for the daughter, you should be able to spend it with less restriction than you have with how you need to spend the benefits for your daughter.

Carol (not verified)
Fri, 12/18/2015 - 02:00 Permalink

I have legal custody of my Grandchild. His father is deceased when he was 17 and did not have enough work hours in. His bio mother is still living but does not contribute to his financial care. My husband the child's grandfather is on SS retirement. The child was also born with a brain malformation which effects his large motor skills and he needs assistance walking. My question is because one parent is deceased would the child be able to draw off his grandfather SS retirement as a dependent?


In reply to by Carol (not verified)

Fri, 12/18/2015 - 15:36 Permalink

Hi Carol,
No, he would not, because the other parent is still alive and not disabled. But it sounds like the child could qualify for SSI benefits on his own account due to his disability. Have you ever considered looking into that?

Carol (not verified)

In reply to by Deanna

Fri, 12/18/2015 - 22:00 Permalink

Hi Deanna,
I need to apply. My income is right at 34,000 a year. Do you know if the income level would disqualify him. He is set to have several surgeries on all of his muscles from his feet to his hips. Those are to try and strengthen them so he will maybe have some normal walking skills. He does have some nerve damage in the brain so there is a big chance that he will never walk normal.As to his thinking and decision skills he was very very lucky that they are above normal. To be honest I have been hesitant in having him labeled disabled because he is so bright, but I think he would benefit more right now from the financial assistance.


In reply to by Carol (not verified)

Mon, 12/21/2015 - 13:39 Permalink

Hi Carol,
Your income should be low enough for him to qualify! A single parent with one child with a disability cannot earn more than about $36,000 per year. I'd contact your local SSA office at 1-800-772-1213 to find out for sure.

Nae (not verified)
Fri, 12/18/2015 - 03:06 Permalink

If my child fathers gets ssi will my child get it to !

Add new comment

Find Out If I Qualify for Benefits!