how do I stop being representative payee?

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Mon, 07/01/2013 - 13:47

I have been my brother's re-payee(sp?) for several years and feel that he is more than capable of handling his own money. What is the process to change this arrangement?

jill (not verified)
Fri, 03/25/2016 - 19:53 Permalink

does the payee have to have a receipt for everything that the person he is representing bought


In reply to by jill (not verified)

Mon, 03/28/2016 - 16:30 Permalink

Hi Jill,
It's not necessary, but it's a good idea to keep receipts for everything that you've bought with SSI benefits.

Kate (not verified)
Thu, 03/31/2016 - 11:35 Permalink

My 73 yr old Sibling just suddenly stopped being my RepPayee. My Funds were returned and my next Disability check was due to come in 3-4 days! I don't have anyone to replace her because I am only living in this town TEMPORARILY for maybe 4-6 more months and don't know exactly where I'm moving to after that. I know anyone here & Relatives live 4 States away. I am on Disability for Back problems & Bipolar but could easily write out and pay my 5 Major bills monthly. If they Re-evaluate me, I will still Qualify, as I have become More disabled from Severe Osteoporosis & More since. My question is.. If they choose to Re-Evaluate me, Do I receive any SSD income & Medicare benefits during that time period?? I will literally starve and also take multiple medications for Health problems & can't go without.


In reply to by Kate (not verified)

Thu, 03/31/2016 - 12:30 Permalink

Hi Kate,
Your benefits would only stop if they determine your are not disabled any more. I would contact the SSA to inform them if any conditions you have are getting worse.

Karen (not verified)
Thu, 03/31/2016 - 11:41 Permalink

I want to apply to handle my own Benefits because my RepPayee is aging, & I don't have a Replacement. Do many people with BiPolar Disorder handle their own Benefits?


In reply to by Karen (not verified)

Thu, 03/31/2016 - 12:07 Permalink

Hi Karen,
I'd say that the appointment of a representative payee depends on a case-by-case basis, and that the SSA may require you to have a payee if they believe it is necessary.

Donald (not verified)

In reply to by Bryan

Fri, 05/13/2016 - 10:37 Permalink

I would like to know if. A person can become someone Payee if the person is on SSI.


In reply to by Donald (not verified)

Fri, 05/13/2016 - 10:52 Permalink

Hi Donald,
You may be able to be their payee if the SSA determines that it would be in the best interest of the person who is receiving those benefits, so it someone who is already receiving SSI may be able to be a representative payee.

Maxine (not verified)
Sun, 04/10/2016 - 15:03 Permalink

My son is receiving SSI, he is Mental and his father is his Payee and every month he takes all the money and does not pay the rent or provide my son with food to last thru the month ,he does not buy him clothes, or shoes my son has not been under any medical doctor in over 6yrs. now his father didnt pay rent and they had to move and he has no place for my son to stay. the place that he is trying to drop him off to is unsafe its drug and gang infested. who do i contact to help me get another appointee for him?

bill (not verified)
Thu, 04/21/2016 - 19:00 Permalink

i am my sons ssi payee how do i change that to someone else


In reply to by bill (not verified)

Mon, 04/25/2016 - 14:44 Permalink

Hi Bill,
I would contact your local SSA office and inform them that you wish to no longer be a representative payee, and I would also give them the information for the next payee.

Amber (not verified)
Sun, 04/24/2016 - 13:42 Permalink

My husband is payee for his father however after an altercation he gave the card to his father and is no longer over his funds, now the government wants breakdown of how his funds were spent....what does my husband to do and can he go to jail for this


In reply to by Amber (not verified)

Mon, 04/25/2016 - 14:42 Permalink

Hi Amber,
I would contact the your father in law and ask him for any records that he has regarding his spending of his benefits. After that, I would contact the SSA and have your father in law's payee changed.

Tasha (not verified)
Mon, 04/25/2016 - 01:13 Permalink

I was someone's payee in the past and they called and asked me to re sign up as their payee.... is that allowed?


In reply to by Tasha (not verified)

Mon, 04/25/2016 - 14:43 Permalink

Hi Tasha,
If you are not otherwise ineligible to be a representative payee, you may be able to be their payee again.

Amy (not verified)
Mon, 05/02/2016 - 05:37 Permalink

My mother has been my rep payee for my mental condition. I receive a check on the 1st and 3rd off each month , directly deposited into our checking account where we are both listed on the bank account but she is listed
first and showing as my rep payee of course. Iwant to get back together with my husband whom I am still legally married to and move return to his home to live with him where him and I will reside together alone. I want to change my rep payee from my mother (who I myself chose from the start), to my still yet husband once im living again with him. My question's are, what process would this be, does my mother have to go with me to SSA, to make this change of switching payers (she's has very bad health issue's now and doesn't like to go anywhere, and will it change my disability and sis payments if I return living with my husband.


In reply to by Amy (not verified)

Mon, 05/02/2016 - 09:53 Permalink

Hi Amy,
You would have to contact the SSA to find out what exactly you would need to do to change your payee, it may be a different process for you than others. Also, if your husband's income was factored into your SSI determination, your benefits may not change if you move back in with your husband.

Barbara Salzman (not verified)
Mon, 05/02/2016 - 13:52 Permalink

I would like a form to stop having a payee. They are not apt to handle financial affairs. I already had a payee and they made so many horrible mistakes, some of which I never resolved


In reply to by Barbara Salzman (not verified)

Mon, 05/02/2016 - 14:08 Permalink

Hi Barbara,
As we are not affiliated with the SSA, we don't have access to those forms. I would contact the SSA at or at 1-800-772-1213 and they could point you in the right direction regarding these forms.

Add new comment

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.