how do I stop being representative payee?

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Mon, 07/01/2013 - 13:47

I have been my brother's re-payee(sp?) for several years and feel that he is more than capable of handling his own money. What is the process to change this arrangement?

mts

In reply to by Lori (not verified)

Thu, 12/19/2019 - 17:31 Permalink

Hi,

If you would like to stop being a representative payee, you will have to contact the SSA office. The best way to do that is to bring in all parties involved, but that is not always possible. The SSA assigns a payee because they believe that that individual should not be taking care of their own money. If that status has not changed, then a new payee will be assigned.

Barbara Wells (not verified)
Mon, 12/30/2019 - 19:35 Permalink

Can I close out his checking account that is in my name and give him the money. Because I no longer want to be his payee

mts

In reply to by Barbara Wells (not verified)

Thu, 01/02/2020 - 16:50 Permalink

Hi Barbara,

Since he has a representative payee, the SSA has decided that it would be better if someone else was to handle the money. To switch payees you will have to make an appointment with your local SSA office. This would be best if both parties are there. If the determination is made that he is unable to care for his own money, there will be a new payee assigned.

DarrenEnders (not verified)
Wed, 01/22/2020 - 07:00 Permalink

I like to be my own payee today please reply to my message soon as possible

Wed, 02/05/2020 - 17:03 Permalink

If I stay In north Carolina and my mom has been my payee now that im moving to Louisiana what should I do to be my own payee

mts

Fri, 02/07/2020 - 14:37 Permalink

Hi,

To change yourself to the payee start by making an appointment with your local SSA office. They will be able to help you switch to yourself of find a new payee.

Ricky (not verified)
Sat, 02/15/2020 - 20:37 Permalink

What if I can't find a payee

CM

In reply to by Ricky (not verified)

Fri, 03/06/2020 - 11:19 Permalink

Hi Ricky,

If you cannot find a family member or close friend to be your payee then a qualified organization may act as a Social Security Representative Payee.

CM

In reply to by Ricky (not verified)

Fri, 03/06/2020 - 11:19 Permalink

Hi Ricky,

Lindsey (not verified)
Wed, 06/24/2020 - 23:46 Permalink

Hi, I have been on disability since I was 17yrs old, due to an accident..I have a payee...well I am now 30 yrs old with 3 children taking care of my own home.. Am i able to resign the payee an still get my benefits? Because I am capable of dealing with my own money an tired of feeling like a child asking for my money ... please help me figure this situation out..

In reply to by Lindsey (not verified)

Fri, 06/26/2020 - 14:32 Permalink

Hi Lindsey,

You can switch to having yourself be your payee. If you become your own payee, the SSA may reopen your case to see if you are still eligible for benefits.

Sat, 07/18/2020 - 22:22 Permalink

I have a reperseantive payee for social security disability. I am capable of managing my own money. Where do I start, do I contact social security. I have congestive heart failure, epilepsy!, mineer's disease, but all are managed by medications. What do I say to them. Any and all help would be appreciated. Thank you

CM

Tue, 07/21/2020 - 17:30 Permalink

When you want to change your rep payee, go to your local Social Security Administration field office and request a change of payee. You will be given a form to fill out, and guidance will be provided if necessary.