You are here

How many hours can you work if on disability

732 posts / 0 new
Last post
Caitlin
I want to get a part time job

I want to get a part time job and I'm on SSA and SSI. I am aware of the 2019 SGA. Im confused as to how many hours can you work because you cant exceed that limit. Is that with your benefits plus the money you get from work. Or just from working alone. If that makes sense.

Hi Caitlin,

Hi Caitlin,

It's your earned income from working, not including your benefits. So if you work and make over $880 a month excluding your benefits, then you'll enter the Trial Work Period.

Jen
Hi...the answers have been

Hi...the answers have been helpful but just so i know if im making around 945 total every 2 weeks which is well over the 880 limit for the ssdi how much will i be losing from my benefits

Hi Jen,

Hi Jen,

There's a chance you'd lose your benefits entirely. The current Substantial Gainful Allowance (SGA) is $1,220. If you're making $945 every two weeks then you'll be making over the monthly SGA. The SSA may re-evaluate your case and find that since you can make over the SGA, you are no longer eligible for benefits.

Valerie Gonzalez
I just got back on disability

I just got back on disability and am receiving $813 every other week. My job was very demanding and I couldn’t do the tasks anymore due to my Addison’s Disease. However, that income isn’t enough for living. I am a licensed caregiver also, that requires just watching over my patient. Am I able to work part time and still collect my disability benefits?

Hi Valerie,

Hi Valerie,

As long as you make under $880, you won't be entered into the Trial Work Program.

Aziza
Hi I get 631In month from

Hi I get 631In month from ssDi I and I work part time job my gross is 1200 effect my disability check

Hi,

Hi,

It is possible that your income will affect your disability if the SSA considers it to be "Substantial Gainful Activity". The following link discusses working part time and Disability Benefits:

https://www.disability-benefits-help.org/faq/working-part-time

This should help answer your question.

Mary Ann Lennon
So if i get ssi an work

So if i get ssi an work making less then 880 a month they won't reduce my benefits is that correct

Quenna
My ssid check is $771 how

My ssid check is $771 how many hr can i work and not let it affect my check

Hi Quenna,

Hi Quenna,

You are able to work while you have disability, but you will most likely face partial reduction of your benefits. The following link talks a little bit more about how you can work while receiving benefits.

https://www.disability-benefits-help.org/faq/working-part-time

Donna
My husband is on disability.

My husband is on disability. How would this affect my husband if I go back to work?

Hi Donna,

Hi Donna,

It depends on what type of disability benefit he is on. If he is receiving SSDI then he should be fine. If he is receiving SSI then your income may reduce or stop his benefits.

Debbie
I am 64 years old been on

I am 64 years old been on disability for 5 years but I need to get out of the house because i am to isolated just need to meet people can I work a part time job working like 12 hours a week

Hi Debbie,

Hi Debbie,

The number of hours you work does not matter. You need to make less than $880/month or you'll enter the Trial Work Program.

Jim
I'm on disability I make

I'm on disability I make 891 a month can't make ends meet how much can I make without it affecting my disability.

Hi Jim,

Hi Jim,

You can make under $880 a month without being entered into the Trial Work Period.

Deb
If I made less than $880, do

If I made less than $880, do I need to report the income?

Hi Deb,

Hi Deb,

I would recommend you report any income to the SSA!

Anonymous
So if on Ssdi and work only

So if on Ssdi and work only 10 hours a week, that earned money will not be deducted from my monthly ssdi benefits?

Hi There,

Hi There,

As long as you make less than $880 a month, you won't enter the Trial Work Period and your benefits should remain unaffected.

Mark A. Watters
Will what i earn be deducted

Will what i earn be deducted from my monthly benefits?

Hi Mark,

Hi Mark,

Here is a great page that talks about working on disability in a little more depth:

https://www.disability-benefits-help.org/faq/go-back-work-when-receiving...

Julia
Hi, I’m currently on

Hi, I’m currently on disability but the pay cut percentage isn’t enough to cover my monthly expenses. Can I do something like delivering food on the side to make more money. I read that I would have to claim it and there could be a possible cut in my pay and that would defeat the purpose of doing the extra “job”

Hi Julia,

Hi Julia,

The following link will go into a little more detail if you want to read more after a quick overview. Basically, half of any income you earn while working on SSDI will be deducted from your benefits. This means that in terms of income, working will rarely hurt. Just be sure to keep the SSA aware of everything that you are doing and be aware of the substantial gainful activity limit.

https://www.disability-benefits-help.org/faq/go-back-work-when-receiving...

Curtis
What is the purpose of the

What is the purpose of the SGA of $1220 if we can't make more than $880 ?

Hi Curtis,

Hi Curtis,

After you make $880, you'll enter into the Trial Work Period. If you make the SGA during that time, then the SSA will review your case to see if you are still eligible for benefits.

Joe
hi! so i receive 925 from my

hi! so i receive 925 from my ssa. my question is if i start working again, as long as I don't make more than 925 in a month I'm fine?

Hi Joe,

Hi Joe,

You have to keep your income from working under the SGA, which is $910 for 2020. If you go over, then you'll enter the Trial Work Period.

Gladys Coles
If I work 20 hours a week at

If I work 20 hours a week at 14.70 an hour will that affect my ssdi

Hi Gladys,

Hi Gladys,

If you make over $910 a month, you'll be entered into Trial Work Period.

Pages

Add new comment