Qualifying children

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on

I have children and their father has recently went for a hearing is waiting on a decision. I was told that the kids will qualify for benefits. I have several questions.
How is the amount determined?
What are the rules for the cutoff age to recieve benefits?
Do the children recieve back pay as well?
What steps if any do I need to take to set up their case?
If a child is 18 but still in high school do they qualify, and for how long?

Lynne Pickron (not verified)
Thu, 11/23/2017 - 10:48 Permalink

My Adult daughter recieves SSI and is head of her household and living with me and her Dad we are of age to collect our Social Security and was told my daughter qualify to receive SSDI if she is approved we are also her guardians my question is during the time they are reviewing her application can they cut her off SSI I'm told it can take 3-4 Months for approval and if she is denied can she continue to get SSI

Bryan

In reply to by Lynne Pickron (not verified)

Mon, 11/27/2017 - 10:16 Permalink

Hi Lynne,
Her benefits may be cut if her income or financial resources change in this time, but it would not necessarily be related to the application for benefits. She may be able to get SSI if the benefits she gets under your work record are less than $735 a month, as SSI can supplement SSDI benefits if they are under that amount.

Anonymous (not verified)
Fri, 11/24/2017 - 20:54 Permalink

I only get 602 and my kids can't draw why is that I am on my own with only one of my children

Eric

In reply to by Anonymous (not verified)

Mon, 11/27/2017 - 09:25 Permalink

Hi There,

I am sorry to hear that. Every case is different so I really can't say for sure, you might want to speak with a SSA representative to see if they have anymore clarity. Best of luck.

Lynn Clayton (not verified)
Sat, 11/25/2017 - 14:01 Permalink

Hi. My ex has been getting disability for months without me knowing. He hasn't paid child support in over a year. SSA set an appointment for Monday. Told me to bring bank info where I wanted money sent as well as her birth certificate naming him as father, school record, and my ID. Does this mean she is approved? How soon will she receive it, and will she get back pay?

Bryan

In reply to by Lynn Clayton (not verified)

Wed, 11/29/2017 - 10:10 Permalink

Hi Lynn,
I could not say for certain, but it does appear that your child is eligible for benefits based on her father's work record and disability award that he has been receiving it. She may be eligible for back pay as well.

Anonymous (not verified)
Tue, 11/28/2017 - 02:14 Permalink

I am receiving disability from my bipolar disorder are mine 2 year old and one year old eligible for a check if I am a single parent living off of $800 a month

Bryan

Wed, 11/29/2017 - 13:18 Permalink

HI there,
If you're receiving SSI benefits, then you may not be eligible for benefits based off of your disability.

Rebecca King (not verified)
Tue, 11/28/2017 - 02:17 Permalink

I have been receiving disability on my life since a childhood for bipolar schizophrenic I have two children that are under the age of four are they eligible for social security benefits

Anonymous (not verified)
Wed, 11/29/2017 - 03:45 Permalink

Hi there . I have my kids now but my x husband is receiving benefits for our children for about 9 years. Since I have custody of my kids can I get the benefits now

Eric

Thu, 11/30/2017 - 09:37 Permalink

Hello,

Depending on the circumstances, you could be eligible for auxiliary benefits off of your ex-husband's disability.

Phyllis (not verified)
Wed, 11/29/2017 - 14:21 Permalink

Why ssi telling me that me or my spouse wont let our kids draw ssi from us what do i have to do

Echo (not verified)
Wed, 11/29/2017 - 20:09 Permalink

I have a 10 month old and I have full custody. I'm not exactly sure if her father collects ssi or ssdi. I am a stay at home mother and it's just me and my girls. If he collects ssdi how much could my daughter receive? Could they pay back the last ten months. Being a stay at home mother, is there anyway that I would be eligible for benifits weather it be ssi or ssdi?

Eric

In reply to by Echo (not verified)

Thu, 11/30/2017 - 09:57 Permalink

Hello,

I can't say for sure, you would need more information regarding that. You and your daughter could qualify for auxiliary benefits whether her father has SSI or SSDI.

Jaime (not verified)
Thu, 11/30/2017 - 02:33 Permalink

My husband has been receiving SSDI for the last 5 years. We recently just had a baby who's 4 months. Does the baby get benefits and does my husband have to fill out a form? Or can he just go to the social security office and give them the baby's social security number?

Anonymous (not verified)
Thu, 11/30/2017 - 22:51 Permalink

When my son turns 18 bit still jave a semester of higj school will the dependent coverage from my SSD I receive for him start coming in his name?

Deanna

Fri, 12/01/2017 - 12:49 Permalink

Hi there,
That's a great question! Most likely, no. Because he's not disabled the benefits are for the parents to spend on his behalf, but you can always contact the SSA at 1-800-772-1213 to make sure.

Add new comment

Find Out If I Qualify for Benefits!