Qualifying children

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on

I have children and their father has recently went for a hearing is waiting on a decision. I was told that the kids will qualify for benefits. I have several questions.
How is the amount determined?
What are the rules for the cutoff age to recieve benefits?
Do the children recieve back pay as well?
What steps if any do I need to take to set up their case?
If a child is 18 but still in high school do they qualify, and for how long?

rsg

In reply to by Bonnie risk (not verified)

Tue, 03/13/2018 - 15:00 Permalink

Hi Bonnie,

He should start receiving payments within 90 days! If he still hasn't received anything after the 90 days, I would contact the SSA.

Nae (not verified)
Wed, 03/14/2018 - 11:46 Permalink

Hello, I have a question I hope anyone will be able to assist me with before I call SSA. I filed for SSDI in July 2015 and at that time my son was 16 years old. If I am approved for SSDI, will my son be eligible for any type of backpay as well up until he turned 18? My EOD is 05/28/15.

Thank you in advance for any advice,
Nae

Anonymous (not verified)
Wed, 03/14/2018 - 17:47 Permalink

My daughter was only given one year of back pay is that correct

Greg (not verified)
Thu, 03/15/2018 - 00:41 Permalink

Good Day,

On May 27, 2013, I called Social Security to add my newborn daughter to my dependent listing since I have been collecting SSDI since March 2012. I was under the impression that she was entitled to the same Social Security benefit payments as my son. I was told that she would not and was not entitled to the same dollar amount that my son currently received. The gentleman said, “all that would happen is that she would get 50% of what my son currently gets” and “to just wait till my son is almost 18 years old to add her so you don’t have to fill out two Representative Payee forms each year.” I asked for him to check with his supervisor to make sure he was correct because I had been told different. He put me on hold for 10 minutes and then came back and said his supervisor agreed with him. I didn’t give it another thought till this afternoon when I wife told me something totally different that she learned.
Today, March 13, 2018, as my wife was attending her Mid-Career retirement training she learned that what I was told was flat out wrong. When she told me I went online to ssa.gov and looked up the instruction on this subject, which in 2013, it told me to call my local SSA Office. To my surprise the information states “Each family member may be eligible for a monthly benefit of up to 50 percent of your disability rate.” Of course, I then learned about the limits and such but with only two children the limits really did not apply. At this point I became really upset because that was money that she is entitled to and I was told by a SSA Representative that she was NOT!

I went into the SSA office today, March 14th and presented my argument and they told me what I was told almost 5 years ago was not correct and they set me up an appointment 2 weeks from now to complete the application.

My question is, is she entitled to full back payment to the date she was born or does that 12 month prior to application rule apply?

Deanna

In reply to by Greg (not verified)

Fri, 03/16/2018 - 13:45 Permalink

Hi Greg,

This is a tough situation! You actually weren't given false information the first time. Basically, dependent children can receive 50% of your benefits, but your household income limit is about 175% of your monthly entitlement. If your son was already receiving 50% of your benefits, your household payments would be at 150% of your entitlement. Another child added on would only bring you up to 175%, or 1/2 of what your son is earning. Where the initial advice-giver went wrong is you SHOULD have applied for her immediately, as you were basically just missing out on payments you should have received.

As far as back pay goes, I do not believe she would be eligible. If you had included her as a dependent when you initially applied and were entitled to back pay when you were first applying, she definitely would be eligible. But it's unlikely she'll qualify for years of back pay at this point. I would still get her enrolled--you'll only receive higher payments if approved.

Ted (not verified)
Thu, 03/15/2018 - 16:51 Permalink

I receive ssi for chf and I’m married but haven’t worked much can my children receive a check as well?

Anonymous (not verified)
Fri, 03/16/2018 - 04:59 Permalink

does my child continue to receive disability insurance once they get to college

Eric

In reply to by Anonymous (not verified)

Fri, 03/16/2018 - 13:21 Permalink

If your child has SSDI based on their own record, then yes. But if receive benefits from a parent and are not disabled, then it will stop at 18.

Janice Farley (not verified)
Fri, 03/16/2018 - 11:15 Permalink

I just got approved for disability and it will go back to 2014 my son was 16 will he also get a check for that year he was in school at the time

jay (not verified)
Sat, 03/17/2018 - 17:47 Permalink

I have a question: My husband applied for benefits as well as my severely autistic daughter. He has been diagnosed with narcalepsy. However, he might be getting a job paying a pretty decent salary. (If he can manage to stay awake). He would no longer be elegible for himself of course, but what about our severely autistic daughter?

Ticia (not verified)
Sat, 03/17/2018 - 18:39 Permalink

Hi me and my ex husband aren't legally divorced but have been separated for a little over 9 years now and I'm being told by a lot of people that our daughter can receive a check for 50% of her dads ssi check?! Can someone fill me in on how true this is and if so would she be eligible for back pay?? Thank you

Eric

In reply to by Ticia (not verified)

Mon, 03/19/2018 - 16:38 Permalink

Hi Ticia,

It's possible she could qualify for auxiliary benefits off of her father's benefit until she is 18. She could be able to qualify for backpay, but I would a SSA representative about that.

STEPHEN H (not verified)
Sun, 03/18/2018 - 04:03 Permalink

I just started receiving ssdi for my disability in March of 2018. I cant get my ex wife who is the custodial parent to apply for their benefits. I put them on my original application but am told that because my ex is the custodial parent then she has to apply for them that I cannot. Why can I not apply for my kids benefits so they get this benefit through my being disability. It is double the amount of child support they currently receive and should take over the payment of child support correct?

rsg

In reply to by STEPHEN H (not verified)

Thu, 03/22/2018 - 15:39 Permalink

Hi Stephen,

The impact the auxiliary benefits has on child support varies. Child Services is a state program so each state may have different regulations. You are still required to pay child support even if on disability.

Timothy (not verified)
Sun, 03/18/2018 - 14:39 Permalink

I Receive almost 1300 monthly in the form of ssdi checks. I remarried 3 years ago. Just last week we went in and applied to be payee fur my minor step daughter and stay greying money for her care based on my disability. Hirer much silk we be getting for her , she is the only minIr ie child In my family and wI'll we get back pay? Thank you

Add new comment

Find Out If I Qualify for Benefits!