Qualifying children

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on

I have children and their father has recently went for a hearing is waiting on a decision. I was told that the kids will qualify for benefits. I have several questions.
How is the amount determined?
What are the rules for the cutoff age to recieve benefits?
Do the children recieve back pay as well?
What steps if any do I need to take to set up their case?
If a child is 18 but still in high school do they qualify, and for how long?

Kim (not verified)
Tue, 02/20/2018 - 20:59 Permalink

I am not a relative but have been a guardian to a friends children for 5months ,They have lived with me .They receive social security benefits from a dead parent through a father .But they haven’t lived there ,They are with me and he isn’t paying me anything to care for them ,question is should he be receiving their benefits or should it go to the kids living expenses? Thanks kim

Eric

In reply to by Kim (not verified)

Thu, 02/22/2018 - 14:15 Permalink

Hi Kim,

That seems like a delicate situation. I would recommend asking someone from the Social Security Administration regarding that.

Jess (not verified)
Tue, 02/27/2018 - 13:49 Permalink

How would you find out if someone is receiving benefits for a child that doesn’t live with the parent that is on SSI/Disabilty?

Deanna

In reply to by Jess (not verified)

Thu, 03/01/2018 - 08:53 Permalink

Hi Jess,
That's kind of tricky to find out--if it's your child you can check online under the child's My SSA account.

Anonymous (not verified)
Tue, 03/06/2018 - 14:22 Permalink

Can my sister.
Claim my kids who are receiving survival. Benefits if iam not workin

Valarie (not verified)
Wed, 03/07/2018 - 18:33 Permalink

I recently had a baby in January. My question is will I receive child support from his father if his father receives ssi checks? If he is unemployed would my child still get anything?

Dave (not verified)
Sat, 03/10/2018 - 09:52 Permalink

Will a dad get a letter from ssi about there son getting ssi if the son is under age and does not live with son ?

Dave (not verified)
Sat, 03/10/2018 - 09:55 Permalink

Will a letter be sent to a mom and Dad if there son is approve for ssi if the kid is 15 and the patients no longer live together ?

Dave (not verified)
Sat, 03/10/2018 - 09:57 Permalink

Does a kid that is approved for ssi get back payments ?

Edwina Lewis (not verified)
Sat, 03/10/2018 - 14:07 Permalink

My grandson, Micah Lynn Lewis Northam, has received Social Security Disability benefits from his father, Stephen Charles Lewis', for the past 6-7 years, or more. They were being deposited into the bank account of his adoptive parents, Paul and Heather Northam. All of a sudden, they stopped coming in December, 2017. A phone call to the SS office said they were being sent to an incorrect location and that it would be corrected and they would resume. However, as of the middle of March, they still are not being received.

He needs and receives psychological and educational services, and the funds are essential to receiving those services. How can the family find out what has happened to the deposits and how to get them back on track.

Thank you so much for your help.

Edwina Lewis

Keli (not verified)
Sat, 03/10/2018 - 19:58 Permalink

My granddaughter receives SSDI and her legal guardian was told someone is getting her benefits but its neither of the parents nor the legal guardian. What should the legal guardian do? The social security office told them someone is receiving the benefits, but wont address the concern that its not the intended recipient. ???

Eric

In reply to by Keli (not verified)

Tue, 03/13/2018 - 16:27 Permalink

Hi Keli,

Do you have any of your granddaughter's paperwork saved? That could shed some light on who is receiving those payments.

Chenoa (not verified)
Sun, 03/11/2018 - 17:55 Permalink

Need to know if mother of the child I have custody of can get extra money from mother’s disability claim. Mother signed Termination of parental rights years ago. She has absolutely no claim to the child. I understood from the legal system that once the TPR was signed the mother no longer could ever get custody, nor did she have to pay child support etc. Now she is trying to get benefits and wants this child listed on her benefits. Question Will they give her benefits for a child that the State deems no longer hers?

Bonnie risk (not verified)
Mon, 03/12/2018 - 19:03 Permalink

I called they told me my son was approved last week how long does he have to get his benefits coming in

Add new comment

Find Out If I Qualify for Benefits!