Qualifying children

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on

I have children and their father has recently went for a hearing is waiting on a decision. I was told that the kids will qualify for benefits. I have several questions.
How is the amount determined?
What are the rules for the cutoff age to recieve benefits?
Do the children recieve back pay as well?
What steps if any do I need to take to set up their case?
If a child is 18 but still in high school do they qualify, and for how long?

Discouraged Mother (not verified)
Thu, 02/08/2018 - 20:07 Permalink

My ex qualified for SSDI after suffering (3) strokes which also qualified my child for dependent benefits payment. Also, he owes child support. So they started garnishing his portion of the SSDI payment. As far as I am concerned, everything was going just fine for about (6) months until he suffered a (4)th stroke and was admitted into a rehabilitation/nursing home facility. My child support payment seem to have abruptly stopped. What in the world could have happened? Shouldn't SSA notify me before they stop payment especially since there is an income deduction order in place? Can they just ignore the order?

Bryan

In reply to by Discouraged Mother (not verified)

Mon, 02/12/2018 - 14:41 Permalink

Hi there,
You may want to contact the nursing facility as they may be his representative payee due to the stroke, and as such may be able to account for this.

Bryan

In reply to by Discouraged Mother (not verified)

Mon, 02/12/2018 - 14:41 Permalink

Hi there,
You may want to contact the nursing facility as they may be his representative payee due to the stroke, and as such may be able to account for this.

B (not verified)
Sun, 02/11/2018 - 22:55 Permalink

How do I find out if my child is receiving an ssi check? His father may be claiming the benefit.

Anonymous (not verified)
Mon, 02/12/2018 - 18:01 Permalink

I am asking if 744 month stays the same even though having 5 kids or does it increase

Eric

In reply to by Anonymous (not verified)

Tue, 02/13/2018 - 14:25 Permalink

Hi There,

You could be able to receive increased payment. You would need to speak with a SSA rep regarding that.

Anonymous (not verified)
Mon, 02/12/2018 - 20:35 Permalink

Does the child have to have the same last name as his father to collect a check from his father?

Eric

Tue, 02/13/2018 - 14:11 Permalink

Hello,

The father needs to be a legal guardian of that child to do so. You can speak with a SSA representative to find out more.

Kim (not verified)
Tue, 02/13/2018 - 12:58 Permalink

What questions to look for in phone interview to add my kids on to my disability

Deanna

In reply to by Kim (not verified)

Thu, 02/15/2018 - 11:31 Permalink

Hi Kim,
The SSA will ask you about your child's limitations, so be sure to discuss every childhood activity he or she isn't able to do due to the disability (play sports, go to school, play with other children, complete tasks/focus, etc.). You'll also want to prove that your child's treatments haven't helped at all.

Anonymous (not verified)
Tue, 02/13/2018 - 14:00 Permalink

I receive ssdi I just recently apied for custody of my nephew will I be able to add him to my benefits.

Deanna

Thu, 02/15/2018 - 11:32 Permalink

Hi there,
Unfortunately not unless you adopt your nephew or his parents are both disabled or deceased.

Annonomus (not verified)
Tue, 02/13/2018 - 17:18 Permalink

If I am the custodial parent and the non custodial parent gets SSDI, who would get the children's payments? Thank you

Deanna

In reply to by Annonomus (not verified)

Thu, 02/15/2018 - 11:32 Permalink

Hi there,
That's actually a good question--it could go to either parent, and the default will likely be the SSDI recipient. You can change your status to be the payee at your local SSA office.

N. T (not verified)
Tue, 02/13/2018 - 19:38 Permalink

My child’s father receives SSI. I was only wondering does my child qualify or is that just for her father?

Amy (not verified)
Wed, 02/14/2018 - 02:02 Permalink

My ex son in law is receiving Ssdi. He has two children age 10 and 6 who live with their mother who has sole costody. Found out today, that he is receiving ssdi checks for the children. Is that legal considering that the children don’t live with him?

Deanna

In reply to by Amy (not verified)

Thu, 02/15/2018 - 11:34 Permalink

Hi Amy,
It might be unfortunately--it'd depend on how the payments are spent. The mother might be able to receive the payments by making an appointment at her local SSA office.

Kellie (not verified)
Tue, 02/20/2018 - 10:24 Permalink

If my son gets auxiliary benefits from his dad but is in foster care temporarily, can we still get his benefits?

Add new comment

Find Out If I Qualify for Benefits!