Qualifying children

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on

I have children and their father has recently went for a hearing is waiting on a decision. I was told that the kids will qualify for benefits. I have several questions.
How is the amount determined?
What are the rules for the cutoff age to recieve benefits?
Do the children recieve back pay as well?
What steps if any do I need to take to set up their case?
If a child is 18 but still in high school do they qualify, and for how long?

Chlor (not verified)
Sun, 01/21/2018 - 23:13 Permalink

I just found out that my daughter father was approved for disability he has been telling me it's pending but I found out he lied and has been receiving a benefit check for her although she lives with me and receives more than 50 percent of her financial from me. What should I do to have that check sent to me? I am sure he was sent retroactive money and kept it secret.

Bryan

In reply to by Chlor (not verified)

Tue, 01/23/2018 - 14:06 Permalink

Hi there,
You may want to contact the SSA if the funds are not being used appropriately, you can contact them at 1-800-772-1213.

Laura (not verified)
Mon, 01/22/2018 - 10:08 Permalink

Can my child receive benefits after 18 if she is in college

Bryan

In reply to by Laura (not verified)

Tue, 01/23/2018 - 10:31 Permalink

Hi Laura,
If the benefits are based off of your work record rather than her income and resources, she may not.

Sam (not verified)
Tue, 01/23/2018 - 15:47 Permalink

My childs father has applied for SSD and should have a hearing within the next few months. We have no communication and I am concerned he will try to scam things like not telling them he has a child, or try to tell them she lives with him so he can get her check. Also can an atty take part of her backpay as well? His new wife is a professional government scammer!!!

Bryan

In reply to by Sam (not verified)

Wed, 01/24/2018 - 15:36 Permalink

Hi Sam,
You may want to contact the SSA regarding this if you suspect fraud. You can contact them at 1-800-772-1213.

Connie (not verified)
Wed, 01/24/2018 - 07:51 Permalink

I get ssd and about 58 dollar for ssi I got a daughter they don't give me money for her ,I want to know why

Bryan

In reply to by Connie (not verified)

Wed, 01/24/2018 - 15:43 Permalink

Hi Connie,
You may want to contact the SSA regarding this, they may not know you have a daughter, she may be eligible for benefits.

Connie (not verified)
Wed, 01/24/2018 - 07:53 Permalink

Y i don't get benefits for my daughter, I get ssd they denied her

Eric

In reply to by Connie (not verified)

Wed, 01/24/2018 - 09:18 Permalink

Hi Connie,

I can't say for sure because we aren't affiliated with the SSA. You may be able to appeal that though.

Amy (not verified)
Wed, 01/24/2018 - 10:33 Permalink

if my daughters father has applied and is awaiting a hearing for SSD do I need to notify anyone so she will receive benefits as well?

Bryan

In reply to by Amy (not verified)

Wed, 01/24/2018 - 15:48 Permalink

HI Amy,
You may want to contact the SSA regarding this. You can call them at 1-800-772-1213.

Prenae (not verified)
Thu, 01/25/2018 - 18:49 Permalink

Hello my daughter father had passed away last year a year b4 he passed he had just came into her life she is 10 he is not on her birth certificate but he was getting disability would she be able to recieve it if he is not on the birth certificate

Eric

In reply to by Prenae (not verified)

Fri, 01/26/2018 - 09:16 Permalink

Hi There,

I am sorry to hear that. That is a unique situation, so I would recommend calling the SSA and speaking with a representative from there.

Amanda (not verified)
Thu, 02/01/2018 - 20:49 Permalink

I took my daughter down to the social security office when she was first born in 2015 so she can get benifits under my husband who is disabled from birth but never received anything they set me up an appointment over the phone recently will I get pack pay since her case was active

Bryan

In reply to by Amanda (not verified)

Tue, 02/06/2018 - 16:29 Permalink

Hi Amanda,
If your daughter is determined eligible for benefits, she may be eligible for back pay.

Cassandra (not verified)
Fri, 02/02/2018 - 14:32 Permalink

My son lives with me he is 16 and his father now receives social security SSD benefits and I believe he receives a check for my son. I receive no money from him for child support. What can I do? I feel check should be mailed to me for my son.

Bryan

In reply to by Cassandra (not verified)

Tue, 02/06/2018 - 16:32 Permalink

Hi Cassandra,
You may want to contact the SSA regarding this as they may be able to make you your son's representative payee.

bella (not verified)
Fri, 02/02/2018 - 19:41 Permalink

so i have a question my 6 year old step daughter receives ssi because she has down syndrome my husbands baby mother gave us temporary custody due to her anxiety but says she is not giving us her ssi because the checks go to the custodial parent which by court is her because it was only a written agreement between him and her but yet dose not have the child what actions do we need to take to ensure my husbands daughter receives her income thank you ..also we live in California

Bryan

In reply to by bella (not verified)

Tue, 02/06/2018 - 16:39 Permalink

Hi Bella,
You may want to contact the SSA regarding this, as they can re-assign representative payees as needed.

Add new comment

Find Out If I Qualify for Benefits!