Qualifying children

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on

I have children and their father has recently went for a hearing is waiting on a decision. I was told that the kids will qualify for benefits. I have several questions.
How is the amount determined?
What are the rules for the cutoff age to recieve benefits?
Do the children recieve back pay as well?
What steps if any do I need to take to set up their case?
If a child is 18 but still in high school do they qualify, and for how long?

Anonymous (not verified)
Mon, 03/19/2018 - 20:51 Permalink

Tonya
My son receives ssi for himself he's 12 been disabled since he was 3. and his father became disabled and receiving ssdi. My son has been approved for his father benefits but their deducting from my son benefits I don't understand why.. And also do my son get back pay?

Annie (not verified)
Wed, 03/21/2018 - 10:13 Permalink

My son gets disability checks, based on his father's disability, in my name due to his young age. I do not receive child support any longer because of this. Am I entitled to any benefits as an ex spouse? I do receive a small portion of his pension as spousal support.

Anonymous (not verified)
Thu, 03/22/2018 - 14:17 Permalink

My husband was awarded ssd will our daughter receive something automatically when we went to fill out things at ssa they asked her name and birthdate

Curious (not verified)
Fri, 03/23/2018 - 12:14 Permalink

If the parent receiving ss benefits signs away his rights to his 2 minor children but the children are not adopted and he is still on those children’s birth certificates as the father will the children still be eligible to continue receiving benefits

Eric

In reply to by Curious (not verified)

Fri, 03/23/2018 - 13:37 Permalink

Hi There,

That is a unique situation. I would recommend calling the national SSA hotline or speaking with someone at your local SSA office.

Megan (not verified)
Fri, 03/23/2018 - 15:07 Permalink

I have custody of both of my boys. their dad gets disability . SSDI and SSI are my boys entitled to anything? He already doesn’t have to pay child support. He left when they were 1 and 3 they are now 11 and 9 hasn’t seen them in 4 years and we live 15 min a part.

Denise Clark (not verified)
Sun, 03/25/2018 - 16:31 Permalink

I receive ssdi for my back and legs. My 8 yr old granddaughter receives ssi for her diabetes. My daughter has asked that I take guardianship of her since she has to leave school and I am home in Bay Minette and she has taken a job in Mobile and isn't as readily available to get her. Will this affect my income or my granddaughter's income?

Eric

In reply to by Denise Clark (not verified)

Mon, 03/26/2018 - 16:44 Permalink

Hi Denise,

It could affect her SSI. You may want to speak with a SSA representative regarding this matter.

JD (not verified)
Sun, 03/25/2018 - 17:22 Permalink

I've been on SSDI for 8 years. I've got a 3 year old child. I was just told I should be getting a check for my child as well. Once I apply for my child will I get back pay for the 3 years as well?

Nida (not verified)
Mon, 03/26/2018 - 18:19 Permalink

Hi I applied for so for both of my grandkids one was approved and one was not what would be my next step to take

Lisa (not verified)
Tue, 03/27/2018 - 16:06 Permalink

I was granted full custody of 3 of my grandchildren, my son is in prison for 11 more years. The mom isn't in the picture,she doesn't work no child support. Can I get social security benefits on them? I work full time, I'm 51 and would like to work only part time

Anonymous (not verified)
Wed, 03/28/2018 - 18:24 Permalink

My ex has been receiving disability since he was 16 (he is not 100% disabled). We had a child together but are no longer together. Since he is not working but receiving disability, can I file for child support?

Janine mullis (not verified)
Sun, 04/01/2018 - 00:05 Permalink

My son has A.D.D AND O.D.D ALONG WITH A.D.H.D? I WAS WONDERING IF HE'S ELIGIBLE TO RECEIVE IT?? THANK YOU

Add new comment

Find Out If I Qualify for Benefits!