Qualifying children

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Wed, 10/26/2011 - 13:47

I have children and their father has recently went for a hearing is waiting on a decision. I was told that the kids will qualify for benefits. I have several questions.
How is the amount determined?
What are the rules for the cutoff age to recieve benefits?
Do the children recieve back pay as well?
What steps if any do I need to take to set up their case?
If a child is 18 but still in high school do they qualify, and for how long?

Anonymous (not verified)
Sun, 04/01/2018 - 16:41 Permalink

Father of 14 year old girl diagnosed with autism is gainfully employed with benefits for he & daughter. Mother receiving SSI for disability. Can daughter receive disability also?


In reply to by Anonymous (not verified)

Tue, 04/03/2018 - 16:43 Permalink

Hi There,

She can receive auxiliary payments off of the parent's disability. Children with autism may also qualify for disability benefits as well.

Ann (not verified)
Tue, 04/03/2018 - 18:32 Permalink

How long does it take after applying for auxiliary payments to start

Dean (not verified)
Sun, 04/22/2018 - 15:12 Permalink

Me and my xwife Live together and raising our four grandchildren and I worked for the railroad for fifteen years and disabled from the railroad and she got approved for Ssdi we have custody of the children if we adopt the children can they get a check for them the railroad is different from Social Security


In reply to by Dean (not verified)

Mon, 04/23/2018 - 16:59 Permalink

Hi Dean,

You need to legally adopt your grandchildren for them to qualify for auxiliary benefits off of SSDI. I can't say for sure about your railroad benefits, I would recommend speaking with a representative from your former employer.

Ed (not verified)
Sun, 04/29/2018 - 06:03 Permalink

Our daughter recently lost her fight with terminal brain cancer. She was receiving SSDI and has left our three year old granddaughter behind. Now our granddaughters surviving father who was divorced from our daughter will be responsible for managing our granddaughters SSDI. He has never been responsible with money. Is there anything we as grandparents can do to ensure our daughters ex husband doesn't squander our granddaughters SSDI?


In reply to by Ed (not verified)

Mon, 04/30/2018 - 16:38 Permalink

Hi Ed,

I would contact the SSA about that. They can sometimes change the representative payee. Their number is 1-800-772-1213.

Anonymous (not verified)
Mon, 05/07/2018 - 09:57 Permalink

Me and my ex-husband was divorce but still live together can I draw off his benefits


In reply to by Anonymous (not verified)

Mon, 05/07/2018 - 15:38 Permalink

Hi There,

You could be able to based on these factors:

You were married to the person for over ten years;
You are at least 62 years old;
You are currently unmarried; and
You are not eligible for a larger Social Security payment on your own record.

Fay (not verified)
Mon, 05/14/2018 - 11:42 Permalink

My childs father had applied for SS im not sure if he will qualify for SSD or SSI if he only gets SSI will on going or past due child support come out of his benefits?


In reply to by Fay (not verified)

Mon, 05/14/2018 - 16:57 Permalink

Unfortunately, I cannot answer this question. Child support is determined by Child Services, not SSA. It is up to Child Services to decide if a person on disability should pay child support out of the benefits.

Marvin (not verified)
Thu, 05/17/2018 - 10:34 Permalink

I am receiving SSD if I go to work will my child continue to receive his monthly checks


In reply to by Marvin (not verified)

Thu, 05/17/2018 - 11:33 Permalink

Hi Marvin,

It depends on how much you would be making at your work. I would contact the SSA to see if they can shed some light on this.

Sherry (not verified)
Mon, 05/21/2018 - 22:03 Permalink

I’m confused. I was approved for SSDI snf when I filed for my kids, they’re gonna receive hardly nothing. I curious as to how they came up with such a low amount.


In reply to by Sherry (not verified)

Tue, 05/22/2018 - 16:19 Permalink

Hi Sherry,

The Maximum household income limit is around 175% of one beneficiary's entitlement. Basically, your household income limit is 175% of what you receive as your monthly payment. For example, if you receive $1,000 per month, your total household monthly payment cannot be more that $1,750.

deb (not verified)
Wed, 06/20/2018 - 18:18 Permalink

My ex gets disability is my daughter suppose to get a check sent to her


In reply to by deb (not verified)

Thu, 06/21/2018 - 16:58 Permalink

Hi Deb,

If she doesn't have a disability of her own then she could possibly get auxiliary benefits if she is under the age of 18.

Michelle Brink… (not verified)
Tue, 08/14/2018 - 19:30 Permalink

Ok im 35 and my biological father was just approved for ssdi and my sibling and i are to recieve a large amount of money from his back pay or whatever it is however my biological mother is threatening to keep this large amount of money for herself and not give it to me and my family or my sibling and their family. Are we entitled to that money or is she? If so how do i go about protesting to where she dont get it but my sibling and i do??

Jen (not verified)
Wed, 08/15/2018 - 01:23 Permalink

My ex-husband informed me today that if my children receive back pay for my SSDI application that money is yo be used to offset his child support?

My first question is would my children receive any type of back pay since I am the one disabled?

Second, would any back pay from my children be an offset for child support?

I was under the impression child support in Texas is based on my exhusbands income?

What would be the reasoning to offset his child support?

Add new comment