how do I stop being representative payee?

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Mon, 07/01/2013 - 13:47

I have been my brother's re-payee(sp?) for several years and feel that he is more than capable of handling his own money. What is the process to change this arrangement?

Molly (not verified)
Thu, 11/05/2015 - 10:34 Permalink

Last seen: 1 year 7 months ago
Joined: 09/19/2012 - 11:09
Representative Payee
Typically, the SSA assigns a representative payee to individuals that they feel are not capable of caring for themselves or handling their own money. If this changes, the disability recipient must provide the SSA with proof that he or she is now capable of receiving their own disability checks. This proof can be in the form of an official statement from a doctor or the court. The SSA will also consider other type of evidence that proves your brother's condition has approved. It is important to note that if you and your brother prove that he is capable of caring for himself, it is likely that the SSA will reevaluate his eligibility for benefits.

dl (not verified)
Thu, 11/05/2015 - 10:34 Permalink

how do I stop being representative payee? I have been my brother's payee for 5 years and in that 5 years his girlfriend has harassed me, leaving threathen messages. She feels that she should handle his money saying give him his money I should be the one to control his money etc. it's been a nightmare for 5 years and it's not stopping. My brother is not capable to handle his business nor being able to handle his money. What ever she girlfriend is telling him he'll do it. And by doing what she saids he will be homeless like before using drugs and drinking it would be a mess. What is the process to get the courts to handle his affairs?

tina (not verified)

In reply to by dl (not verified)

Thu, 04/06/2017 - 11:50 Permalink

I am going though the same situation with my son ,right. Now.iv been his payee a girlfreind is doing this dame thing.Im not sure how to hadle about ready to try and remove my name as being harassed. (By the (girlfreind).she only been with him 10 months.but living off his ss...she dose noyhing to help bring in income..just keeps spening his..

Geneva (not verified)

In reply to by tina (not verified)

Sun, 05/21/2017 - 21:55 Permalink

Do ssi give you the money after the dad no longer staying​ with you or they stop it


In reply to by Geneva (not verified)

Tue, 05/30/2017 - 13:20 Permalink

Hi there,
If your children are determined eligible for SSI benefits, that would not change based on your marital status.

Cindy (not verified)

In reply to by tina (not verified)

Tue, 06/13/2017 - 16:00 Permalink

I been my son's payee and he borrows money off me a and then when it comes time to pay me back says I'm stealing his money so I'm about done with being his payee we're supposed to go up there for an appointment I don't know if you can get me changed out of his payee without me being there

My payee put m… (not verified)

In reply to by tina (not verified)

Mon, 01/14/2019 - 19:13 Permalink

Me payer put me out abd wont remove ger name i left that state what shoul i do to grt my money


In reply to by My payee put m… (not verified)

Wed, 01/16/2019 - 16:39 Permalink

Hi There,

If you visit an SSA office, they can assign you a new payee. Or if you have someone else in mind to be your payee, they can visit the SSA office with you with their Social Security card and a picture ID to become your payee.

Barbara Mikin (not verified)

In reply to by dl (not verified)

Tue, 11/07/2017 - 15:03 Permalink

I've been a Account Payee for over a decade and am looking for proper way to resign. Still an account payee is needed....What agency should I notify and get advice for this action???


In reply to by Barbara Mikin (not verified)

Tue, 11/07/2017 - 15:42 Permalink

Sorry to hear that Barbara--you can change the paperwork with the SSA, but you need to do it in person. Call the SSA at 1-800-772-1213 to file the paperwork to no longer become the payee. The SSA may appoint someone if you don't have a replacement.

D (not verified)
Thu, 11/05/2015 - 10:35 Permalink

Hi dl, I am sorry to hear about this situation. You can read more about representative payees here. The girlfriend has no legal authority to tell you how to use your brother's benefits. I am not sure what the best scenario would be in this situation, but I would definitely report her to the SSA, especially if you have his best interests at heart and she doesn't. It is possible for an SSA rep to become his payee if she continues to harass you. Good luck.

Raven (not verified)
Thu, 11/05/2015 - 10:35 Permalink

How do I make it where I am in control of my money instead of my mother, what forum do i need to have my doctor fill out saying that i'm capable of taking control of my money i receive??

Susan (not verified)

In reply to by Raven (not verified)

Sat, 05/20/2017 - 21:11 Permalink

I need help my
Mom keeps throwing it in
My face that she is going to leave me and I don't know what to do I need to know how do I change it and keep it to we're I can take care of my
Own money I just need to know what I can do and if some one eals takes care of that is part of the state will they charge me for them to take care of can't they do it for free so I can have them pay my
Bills and I take care of the rest I can buy food I just need to know that's all


In reply to by Susan (not verified)

Tue, 05/30/2017 - 13:15 Permalink

Hi Susan,
If someone is put in charge of your benefits, they may not be able to pay themselves for doing so, except under certain circumstances.

D (not verified)
Thu, 11/05/2015 - 10:35 Permalink

Hi Raven,
It's pretty simple to change your representative payee, but your request will only be granted if your condition has improved enough for you to not require a payee anymore. You'll just need to go to your local Social Security Administration office, say that you want to request to not have a payee, and they'll give you a form to fill out. Keep in mind that if you receive SSD benefits for a mental disorder, the SSA may reopen your case to revaluate whether or not you're eligible for benefits at all.
I hope this helps!

Leslie Jones (not verified)

In reply to by D (not verified)

Thu, 11/17/2016 - 14:00 Permalink

I don't want my ssi disability I have had since was a child I never intended on getting it got when I was 7 years old I used to be my on guardian but got married to some hurt me thought couldn't handle it its them I couldn't handle I don't want any do with parents thanks Leslie Jones


In reply to by Leslie Jones (not verified)

Thu, 11/17/2016 - 16:05 Permalink

Hi Leslie,
You may want to contact the SSA regarding this, they may be able to help you with this issue.

Celeste (not verified)
Thu, 11/05/2015 - 10:35 Permalink

hello I no longer care for my ex mother in law and I no longer want to be her payee what do I do to stop being her payee ? I do not have no one lined up to be another payee . I mean her son in Florida would like to do it but his mom resides in mass can that even be possible to be a payee from a different state ?

D (not verified)
Thu, 11/05/2015 - 10:36 Permalink

Hi Celeste,
That is a better question for your local SSA office. I know it is moderately easy for you to switch payees, but you will need to have someone else lined up. You'll need to schedule an appointment with your local SSA office to file the paperwork. If you cannot find someone suitable, the SSA could be able to provide someone. To schedule an appointment, you should call their main number at 1-800-772-1213.

Anonymous (not verified)
Thu, 11/05/2015 - 10:36 Permalink

I'm very frustrated I am rep payee and my person is locked up so wht do I do o was think bout paying his bill I n September and senf ing the card back to ssi or can I call them and tell them I don't want to buy his rep and mail the card

D (not verified)
Thu, 11/05/2015 - 10:36 Permalink

Hi there,
if the person you are the rep. payee for is imprisoned for more than 30 days, he or she will become ineligible for disability benefits anyway.

CA (not verified)
Thu, 11/05/2015 - 10:36 Permalink

A friend has asked me to take over as his wife's payee. He has been serving in this capacity but owes outstanding child support. She(beneficiary) has a joint account with her husband into which her and her daughters SSI is deposited. Because of the outstanding child support the the account has been frozen, leaving them unable to access their only source of income. Do they have any recourse other than changing their payee? Thank you for any help

D (not verified)
Thu, 11/05/2015 - 10:36 Permalink

Hi CA,
It seems very strange that they would freeze the same account that the SSI payments go into. What a bad situation. Before switching to a new payee, which would be a lot of work for you, I would tell him to call the SSA at 1-800-772-1213 to try to work the situation out first.

Vikki (not verified)
Thu, 11/05/2015 - 10:36 Permalink

I am tired of being payee. Is there anyway I can get myself to where I am No longer a payee on line? The person I am payee for is an alcoholic and when she drinks up what's left of her money, she gets mad and accuses me of keeping the money. She is also very mental and will not take her meds like she is supposed to. It's just too big of a hassle for me. I am tired of putting up with her and her tirades. And being bullied my Father in law threatening me. I'm done and No longer want any part of it. Helping someone should not bring extra conflict and stress to my life.

D (not verified)
Thu, 11/05/2015 - 10:37 Permalink

Hi Vikki,
I am sorry to hear that. You could go to your local Social Security Administration office and fill out the paperwork to no longer be the payee. If you do not have a replacement, the SSA will name someone else to become her payee.

Sandra Ray (not verified)

In reply to by D (not verified)

Tue, 07/24/2018 - 11:57 Permalink

I have been harassed for years I know longer want to be the payee it's making me sick he is always threatening me to give him the card he can take care of his own stuff I can't do it anymore

Gmraw55 (not verified)
Tue, 12/08/2015 - 12:08 Permalink

Iam the payee for a family and have done it for 2 years but every month the one person takes me through heak. That one has had me give her the child's card with my name on it demaded that the pen be changed and got very very upset when i said the money is for her child. Drugs are involved and i feel powerless to help he kid. She pays little to nothing to live in my home. I just want out of this mess


In reply to by Gmraw55 (not verified)

Tue, 12/15/2015 - 11:53 Permalink

You can go to your local SSA office and fill out some paperwork that will make it so you are no longer the representative payee.

Judy Northington (not verified)
Fri, 03/04/2016 - 18:24 Permalink

I am currently a payee but someone else is taking over. Do I need to go to Soc Sec to have my name taken off?


In reply to by Judy Northington (not verified)

Thu, 03/10/2016 - 15:27 Permalink

Hi Judy,
I would definitely contact the SSA to make sure that you are not listed as a payee.

Lisa Combs (not verified)

In reply to by Judy Northington (not verified)

Tue, 04/11/2017 - 20:54 Permalink

I am rep Payee for my mom. I have been since 1994. My mom has fought me every step of the way. Now she has dementia. She refuses to get help. I am not an only child. I want to turn this over to my brother. I have serious burnout. I have health problems of my own. Now my mom does not want anyone else to take over. Do I have to find someone else or will SS find someone? Can I step down without a person in place?


In reply to by Lisa Combs (not verified)

Wed, 04/12/2017 - 09:35 Permalink

Hi Lisa,
The SSA can appoint a representative payee in your stead, you may want to contact them and inform them of your wishes. You may be able to suggest another person to be the payee for your mother, however you may want to wait until you find a replacement payee.

Carol Cook (not verified)
Thu, 03/10/2016 - 11:54 Permalink

I need to know the channels I need to go through to stop being someone's disability benefits payee. I am in Louisiana. Thank you!

Thu, 03/10/2016 - 15:28 Permalink

Hi Carol,
I would contact the SSA to do this, their number is 1800-772-1213 or you can visit

eric (not verified)
Thu, 03/24/2016 - 03:11 Permalink

My wife has mental issues along with substance abuse issues and on ssd I'm her payee she threatens everymonth if I don't just give her all cash then she used it on drugs I want ssi to appoint a payee there their program what do I do

Anonymous (not verified)

In reply to by Bryan

Sun, 07/10/2016 - 08:10 Permalink

Is the number 1312 or 1213 as you stated to carol previous post?

jill (not verified)
Fri, 03/25/2016 - 19:53 Permalink

does the payee have to have a receipt for everything that the person he is representing bought


In reply to by jill (not verified)

Mon, 03/28/2016 - 16:30 Permalink

Hi Jill,
It's not necessary, but it's a good idea to keep receipts for everything that you've bought with SSI benefits.

Kate (not verified)
Thu, 03/31/2016 - 11:35 Permalink

My 73 yr old Sibling just suddenly stopped being my RepPayee. My Funds were returned and my next Disability check was due to come in 3-4 days! I don't have anyone to replace her because I am only living in this town TEMPORARILY for maybe 4-6 more months and don't know exactly where I'm moving to after that. I know anyone here & Relatives live 4 States away. I am on Disability for Back problems & Bipolar but could easily write out and pay my 5 Major bills monthly. If they Re-evaluate me, I will still Qualify, as I have become More disabled from Severe Osteoporosis & More since. My question is.. If they choose to Re-Evaluate me, Do I receive any SSD income & Medicare benefits during that time period?? I will literally starve and also take multiple medications for Health problems & can't go without.


In reply to by Kate (not verified)

Thu, 03/31/2016 - 12:30 Permalink

Hi Kate,
Your benefits would only stop if they determine your are not disabled any more. I would contact the SSA to inform them if any conditions you have are getting worse.

Karen (not verified)
Thu, 03/31/2016 - 11:41 Permalink

I want to apply to handle my own Benefits because my RepPayee is aging, & I don't have a Replacement. Do many people with BiPolar Disorder handle their own Benefits?


In reply to by Karen (not verified)

Thu, 03/31/2016 - 12:07 Permalink

Hi Karen,
I'd say that the appointment of a representative payee depends on a case-by-case basis, and that the SSA may require you to have a payee if they believe it is necessary.

Donald (not verified)

In reply to by Bryan

Fri, 05/13/2016 - 10:37 Permalink

I would like to know if. A person can become someone Payee if the person is on SSI.


In reply to by Donald (not verified)

Fri, 05/13/2016 - 10:52 Permalink

Hi Donald,
You may be able to be their payee if the SSA determines that it would be in the best interest of the person who is receiving those benefits, so it someone who is already receiving SSI may be able to be a representative payee.

Maxine (not verified)
Sun, 04/10/2016 - 15:03 Permalink

My son is receiving SSI, he is Mental and his father is his Payee and every month he takes all the money and does not pay the rent or provide my son with food to last thru the month ,he does not buy him clothes, or shoes my son has not been under any medical doctor in over 6yrs. now his father didnt pay rent and they had to move and he has no place for my son to stay. the place that he is trying to drop him off to is unsafe its drug and gang infested. who do i contact to help me get another appointee for him?

Add new comment