You are here

How many hours can you work if on disability

756 posts / 0 new
Last post
Rogermix
Is there a nine month period

Is there a nine month period where you can make all you want and it not effect your SSD

Hi there,

Hi there,
That period is referred to as a trial work period, and it is intended to enable people on SSDI benefits to return to work without affecting their benefits during that transition process.

Diana Felix
What is the limit you can

What is the limit you can make while being on ssi

hi Diana,

hi Diana,
Generally you would need less that $2,000 in resources and less than $733 a month in income.

joe hebert
i am disabled for life and

i am disabled for life and recieve ssdi can i make like 400 a week when im able

Hi Joe,

Hi Joe,
You may be able to if you are doing work that does not go against the SSA's determination of disability. You may want to contact the SSA if you do start working again just to make sure that your new job does not conflict with that.

Ragga
What happens to your SSI or

What happens to your SSI or SSDI if you work seasonally say 8 months out of the year $1800/month?

Hi Ragga,

Hi Ragga,
You may become ineligible for benefits, as that may indicate that you are able to work, and both benefits are only intended for people who are unable to make a living without those benefits.

Rafael hernandez
If make less in a year then

If make less in a year then my ssi in com that be ok

Hello,

Hello,

You should be okay but it is always good to double check with the SSA just to be sure.

Ragga
Bryan,

Bryan,
I previously asked you:What happens to your SSI or SSDI if you work seasonally say 8 months out of the year $1800/month?
You answer was:
may become ineligible for benefits, as that may indicate that you are able to work, and both benefits are only intended for people who are unable to make a living without those benefits.

My reply is: then why do they say you can work according to (Substantial Gainful Activity) guidelines?

They say that the SGA (Substantial Gainful Activity) for blind people is $1950/month for 2017. That is approx. $23,400 per year. If you work seasonal, do they take the amount of money you earned for that year and divide it by 12 to get your average Substantial Gainful Activity amount?

Thanks Bryan

Hi Ragga,

Hi Ragga,
The SSA defines SGA by month, they do not determine it by how much you make a year. So, if you make over SGA one month, you may be ineligible for benefits.

Myra scott
How long can u work before

How long can u work before reporting u work for ssi

Hi Myra,

Hi Myra,
If you're on SSI and are working, it may be a good idea to contact the SSA regarding your work as soon as possible.

Nan
Finally rec'd my ssdi,

Finally rec'd my ssdi, if i could ever work a part time job in the future, in GA what is the total income amount I could make without it affecting my benefits? Just curious, ive heard so many different amounts?

Hi Nan,

Hi Nan,
Generally, if you earn over $1170 a month in 2017, you may not be eligible for benefits.

Shelly
Does this amount include your

Does this amount include your benefits you receive, or is it the amount separate from what your benefit amt

Hi Shelly,

Hi Shelly,

It would be your total monthly income including you disability benefits and or any additional income you make as well.

-Eric

Ragga
Bryan,

Bryan,
if you are a contractor 1099/self employed and Blind how do they determine your SGA amounts?

Thanks

Hi Ragga,

Hi Ragga,
The SGA amounts do not change due to occupation, there are only two figures for SGA - $1,130 a month for people who are disabled but are sighted, and $1,950 for those who are considered blind by the SSA. Your SGA amounts are not determined on an individual level.

angelk
How many hours a week and how

How many hours a week and how many hours in a day can I work that considers part time? I'm currently on ssdi.Also if I have a new health condition do I report to as?

Hi there,

Hi there,
There is no definition of "part time" for the SSA, you just need to stay under the SSA's income limit for a trial work period, which is $840 a month.

Raju
I have small business and I

I have small business and I am getting long term disability through work now they want me apply for cop benifit .cpp benifit effect my business income but I am not working in that business Iam owner and I never work for business.

HI Raju,

HI Raju,
I'm not familiar with the CPP benefit, you may want to contact your local SSA office regarding this for more information.

Andre
Yes if i receive ssi benefits

Yes if i receive ssi benefits for 766.25,then I start working earning under 733.00 a month, let's say 732.00 a month will I keep the whole 1498.25 a month.

Hi Andre,

Hi Andre,
You may not keep the whole of your benefits, the SSA reduces benefits one dollar for every two earned, so if you earn up to $733 a month you may have a reduction of up to $ 367 in your benefit check.

hattie harmon
I need extra money to pay

I need extra money to pay bills and i want to work4 hour a day

Hi Hattie,

Hi Hattie,

I am sorry to hear that, however I am going to need some more information from you so I know exactly how I can help you.

Best Wishes,
Eric

Sandra Turner
Hi I am in the same boat is

Hi I am in the same boat is Hattie my income is $771.00 a month and my rent is $600.00 plus I get back time child support $100.00 a month my total of income is $871.00! I have 2 bills over $940.00 a month! My kids been helping but they trying to live they on life's can u please help me?

Carol
How many hrs can i work a

How many hrs can i work a week so that i dont lose any of my ssi benefits of 733?

Hi Carol,

Hi Carol,

The number of hours you work does not matter. You cannot work at a job in which you make above the substantial gainful activity (SGA) amount. The SGA amount for 2017 is $1,170 per month.

Best Wishes,
Eric

Ralphie
Wrong. For most people the

Wrong. For most people the first $85 is not counted. Then deduct expenses that allow you to work. Divide by 2. The $733 minus this is the amount your SSI benefit would be reduced.

Hi Ralphie,

Hi Ralphie,
That is accurate for SSI recipients, but it does not apply to SSDI recipients.

Tiffany
Hello have a question it I

Hello have a question it I want to work for 2 hours 2 days it will affect my SSD incom

Hi Tiffany,

Hi Tiffany,
That amount of work is unlikely to affect your benefits, but it's always good to get in touch with the SSA regarding things that can potentially affect your benefits.

Robert Collins
If im recieving $735 from ssi

If im recieving $735 from ssi an $114 for a supplement check...will anything be deducted from my ssi income if im working an making say $4 to $500 dollars a month at a temp job?

Hi Robert,

Hi Robert,
The SSA may reduce your benefits one dollar for every two that you earn, so you may have a reduction of about $250 while working.

Heather
How are you able to get a

How are you able to get a supplement Check?

Hi there,

Hi there,
Your state would supplement any SSI benefits that you would receive.

jean reilly
how many hours can i work if

how many hours can i work if i am on disability

Hi Jean,

Hi Jean,

The number of hours you work does not matter. You cannot work at a job in which you make above the substantial gainful activity (SGA) amount. The SGA amount for 2017 is $1,170 per month.

Best Wishes,
Eric

Amanda
Is the saga based upon the

Is the saga based upon the gross or net of pay?

Hi Amanda,

Hi Amanda,
It is based on gross pay.

ken yee
how much can I make for this

how much can I make for this year?

Hi Ken,

Hi Ken,
You may want to speak with the SSA regarding this as they can give you detailed information about your case. You can call them at 1-800-772-1213

Anonymous
According to my lawyer..if

According to my lawyer..if you work even 1 hour a month a judge won't consider you disabled..you CAN NOT work at all before you get disability. .my Dr has me only working 20 hr a week at 9.00 a hour and I was denied because I have a income..

Hi there,

Hi there,
I'm sorry to hear that! It's true, if you can demonstrate an ability to work, you may not be eligible for benefits.

Anonymous
How do I notify California

How do I notify California State Disability Insurance that I have worked and earned money a few hours in a month? Would $960. a month be too much to earn? As an Independent contracted Artist no taxes are taken out of the $980. What do I claim to SDI.

Stacey

Hi there,

Hi there,
You may want to contact your local SSA office, they may be able to coordinate with California State Disability Insurance. You can find a listing here:
http://www.disability-benefits-help.org/social-security-disability-locat...

Edith
How much money can i ear from

How much money can i ear from a job if im on ssi

Pages

Add new comment