How many hours are you allowed to work if on disability

Anonymous (not verified)
Fri, 07/28/2017 - 11:04 Permalink

How many hours can I work on full disability before affects my benefits

Bryan

In reply to by Anonymous (not verified)

Fri, 07/28/2017 - 12:04 Permalink

HI there,
It would depend on which type of benefits you are receiving, but if you're on SSDI you would be able to earn up to $840 a month before it affects your benefits, and you would have a reduction on one dollar for every two that you earn if you are on SSI.

Marguerite l C… (not verified)
Wed, 08/02/2017 - 21:55 Permalink

If i drive a lady around 3 days a week 4to 10 mon thurs and fri 5 to 11 and she get paid for how many pizza she deliver 3.00 a piece plus she get tips we use her car almost all the time and she give me part of the tips and maybe 5 to 10 dollars of her pay mostly 5 or 7 so it vary depending on what she make i say wk maybe i make maybe 40 to 60 a wk and im disable and.mental depress and paranoid collecting disablty 1 do i have to claim that cents i dont know out of those 3 days what i will make from her also how much am i allowed to make under the counter job not working for the ppl she work for but just driving her she pay me

Eric

In reply to by Marguerite l C… (not verified)

Thu, 08/03/2017 - 09:24 Permalink

Hi There,

It is always best to double check with the SSA regarding any questions you may have.

-Eric

Jose Ortiz (not verified)
Mon, 08/07/2017 - 13:54 Permalink

What is the maximum amount of money that I can make per month, no 9 months trial period, no affect my social security disability payment.

Jane Bohanan (not verified)
Mon, 08/07/2017 - 23:23 Permalink

What if a person has been threatened by a paralegal if this person reports a person that receives full disability and works for the paralegal and has always worked since she started receiving total disability. There is so much fraud . it's a shame to know that even the legal system has to stoop so low

Steve (not verified)
Thu, 08/10/2017 - 22:05 Permalink

For the "$1170 per month" earnings limit in 2017...

What if the applicant's limited work allows him to make no more than $11,800 annually (which is an “average” of $983/month), but has a SINGLE MONTH that may go over the $1170/month maximum, solely due to 3 PAYROLL PERIODS that fall during that one particular month? Is this scenario an issue with SSDI?

Does SSDI make an issue of "a specific single month", or is that $1170/month used as another way of stating “should not make more than $14,040 annually" (i.e. $1170 x 12 months)?

Bryan

In reply to by Steve (not verified)

Mon, 08/14/2017 - 15:08 Permalink

Hi Steve,
That may not affect your case all that much, as the SSA does allow for an SSDI recipient to make more than $1,170 and preserve benefits under the trial work period program.

Karen (not verified)
Sat, 08/12/2017 - 12:22 Permalink

I receive $2,054 a month for SSDI and $600 a month for a pension. The SSDI is for disability, but will it not change when I turn 66 ( I am now 65) and I can earn any amount of money? Also if I wanted to start work now, just 10 hours a week, say $400 a month then what is the limit? Will $400 work w/o being penalized? Thank you for your time.

Bryan

In reply to by Karen (not verified)

Mon, 08/14/2017 - 15:22 Permalink

Hi Karen,
There are no earned income limits for retirement benefits. As far as working now is concerned, you may want to contact the SSA to confirm that you would be able to.

Brittany (not verified)
Sun, 08/13/2017 - 03:57 Permalink

So if I'm recieving 730 on ssi. You keep saying i cant go over the 1170 a month. Please explain in further detail. Say if i make 250 a month is that combined with the 730 to make 980? Which is under the 1170 right? So my benefits wont be affected at all right? Also when does the every 2 dollars you make social security takes 1 come in affect?..is it if i make over 1170 including my 730 benefit? If i go over 1170 is this when the every 2 dollars i make they take 1 comes in a effect. Iam sorry this is hard for me to word?

Bryan

In reply to by Brittany (not verified)

Tue, 08/15/2017 - 12:59 Permalink

Hi Brittany,
That 1,170 figure is for SSDI recipients, SSI recipients have a reduction of one dollar for every two that they earn in work income.

Jenny L (not verified)
Mon, 08/14/2017 - 19:44 Permalink

I might start working next month 3 hrs a day for 10.25 and hour can I still get my social security benefits and SSI or that can affect my payments

Sue (not verified)
Thu, 08/17/2017 - 22:12 Permalink

I have been reading through all of these posts and am getting confused. I have been receiving SSI benefits for about 8 years. I am 57 years old now. Is there a set amount I may earn, working a few hours a week, per month without changes to my SSI benefit?

Bryan

In reply to by Sue (not verified)

Fri, 08/18/2017 - 09:25 Permalink

Hi Sue,
There isn't a set amount of hours you could work, you would have your benefits reduced one dollar for every two dollars that you earn.

Trudy (not verified)
Thu, 08/24/2017 - 10:07 Permalink

My son is legally blind in one eye and blind in the other. In 2015 they say he made 1200 too much and stopped his disability. What was the amount you could earn in 2015 and still draww SSI? Can he refile his income tax for that year and get it under the limit? Also can they stop his disability due to that? According to something I read on Social Security website, you have five years before to appeal that decision.

Deanna

In reply to by Trudy (not verified)

Thu, 08/24/2017 - 15:48 Permalink

Hi Trudy,

That's not right--He could earn up to $1,800 in 2015 (about 1,900 now) with vision loss and still qualify for Social Security benefits. I would appeal that denial as soon as possible!

Jason (not verified)
Sat, 08/26/2017 - 16:25 Permalink

Hi! So if I am on SSDI and want to work and make 800 a month will they reduce my SSDI payment? Because I can't afford a place with my 2 kids and I so I have to work a lil but will this reduce my ssdi payment? Thanks for your information.
Jason

Bryan

In reply to by Jason (not verified)

Mon, 08/28/2017 - 09:27 Permalink

Hi Jason,
That may have no effect on your benefits, but it may be a good idea to contact the SSA to discuss your plan.

Deandre (not verified)
Wed, 08/30/2017 - 22:45 Permalink

Everyone is asking the same question and we all getting the same answer. We know we can work many hours. We want to know how many hours can we work on SSI. Is 20, 30, are 40 a week?

Deanna

In reply to by Deandre (not verified)

Thu, 08/31/2017 - 08:45 Permalink

Hi Deandre,

The SSA usually measures work by income earned, not hours work. So long as you're earning less than $1,170 per month, or earning less than that but working less than 80 hours per week, you'll be fine.

Evelyn walker (not verified)
Thu, 08/31/2017 - 14:47 Permalink

If you are on SSI Disability, can you work P/T Making under $800.00 MONTH....Will that affect your SSI?

Caren (not verified)
Fri, 09/01/2017 - 12:54 Permalink

How many hours can I work while on disability security

Eric

In reply to by Caren (not verified)

Tue, 09/05/2017 - 09:13 Permalink

Hi Caren,

There is no limit on the number of hours, but your monthly income cannot exceed the 2017 SGA monthly limit.

-Eric

Sandra (not verified)
Fri, 09/01/2017 - 23:32 Permalink

I am disabled since 2014, my parents are disabled my dad physically, and my mother mentally. My question is my dad insist on paying me for taking them to doctor appointments, grocery buying, just hanging out. He has applied for AA from the VA and if he gets this assistance he has to use it and said I need to take it when I help them out. Can I take this and do I need to contact SS office prior. It would be like $300-$400 a month.

Patrick

In reply to by Sandra (not verified)

Tue, 09/05/2017 - 12:34 Permalink

Hi Sandra,

You do not need to contact the SS office. Your father is free to spend his SSDI money however he wishes. Hope that helps!

Sandra (not verified)

In reply to by Patrick

Tue, 09/05/2017 - 18:27 Permalink

Patrick, the money is not from my dad's SSDI/SS, it is from his VA. would I need to inform my SS local office if he pays me for helping by taking him or Mom to doctor visits, shopping, etc. Sorry just wanted to clarify.

Bryan

In reply to by Sandra (not verified)

Wed, 09/06/2017 - 10:00 Permalink

Hi Sandra,
While you may want to contact the SSA regarding this just to be sure, if they're both receiving benefits based off of their work and/or service records, then you may not need to report that.

Regina Daunicht (not verified)

In reply to by Patrick

Sat, 09/23/2017 - 17:54 Permalink

If your father is paying you, it would be best for you to report that small amount of income, to Social Security. And keeping everything on the up-and-up.
Of course your dad is free to spend the money however he chooses.
But you, on the other hand are receiving disability, or what it seems in your comments.
It will not affect your benefits. But it should be reported, as that is the honest thing to do. Again it will not affect your benefits. And you may be entitled two other benefits, you may not be receiving.
I feel for your safety, it would be best to report to Social Security.
You do whatever you feel comfortable with. But if they should find out, somehow someway, and you did not report it, you may be will lose your benefits for not reporting!
You would not lose them forever, but there would be some kind of sanction. What and how much can only be determined by Social Security.
If reporting that amount of money will not affect your benefits, why wouldn't you?
That is why Congress always wants to cut benefits for the truly disabled, because people don't do the honest thing.

Jessica (not verified)
Mon, 09/04/2017 - 18:47 Permalink

Can i work while im receiving social security disability

Gregory (not verified)
Tue, 09/05/2017 - 08:02 Permalink

Can I get a part time job I make 1,249 a month ssd and I'm only aloud to lift ten pound.

Eric

In reply to by Gregory (not verified)

Tue, 09/05/2017 - 09:35 Permalink

Hi Gregory,

That would exceed the SGA monthly limit. However, I would recommend speaking to a SSA representative and letting them know of your situation.

michael hechler (not verified)
Thu, 09/07/2017 - 11:50 Permalink

how many hours can i work when appyind for ssdi

Bryan

In reply to by michael hechler (not verified)

Thu, 09/07/2017 - 13:26 Permalink

Hi there,
There is no set amount of hours, however you may not be considered eligible for SSDI benefits if you are able to make over $1,170 a month.

TRACIE (not verified)
Fri, 09/08/2017 - 05:38 Permalink

Trying to make sense of this.
I receive $844 a month from Social Security disability. Been on disability for 26 years. I do not understand how much I can earn on a part time job, and still keep my benefits. What's the "gross amount"??

Eric

In reply to by TRACIE (not verified)

Mon, 09/11/2017 - 09:03 Permalink

Hi Tracie,

There is no set amount of hours, however you may not be considered eligible for SSDI benefits if you are able to make over $1,170 a month.

Noa (not verified)
Sat, 09/09/2017 - 17:07 Permalink

I am 37 I've been in SSI for 20 years. I want to try and work for uber and am worried about my ssi getting cut off. How does it affect my payment

Bryan

In reply to by Noa (not verified)

Mon, 09/11/2017 - 11:07 Permalink

Hi Noa,
You may want to contact your local SSA office, but they will generally reduce your benefits one dollar for every two that you make.

Anonymous (not verified)
Sat, 09/09/2017 - 21:43 Permalink

I've been on ssdi for over 7 yrs, I just gotta part time job at a cleaners . I understand I cannot make more than 1170 a month , here's where the questions come in as long as I'm under that amount monthly does it matter how many hours I put in? Also is it true after 36 months of working your benefits will be discontinued?
I suffer from severe anxiety depression ocd ptsd and bipolar.
I work pretty much alone maybe with one other person sometimes.
Also I have a 14 yr old son on ssi he is autistic. I do understand his check will be cut but I do have one other dependent my 13 yr old daughter. I'm a single parent I do not receive child support there is an active order but the father doesn't follow. So about what percent will be taken out of my sons check?
Thank you very much and I apologize for all the overwhelming questions.

waynee (not verified)
Mon, 09/11/2017 - 08:32 Permalink

I'm on SSDI, I receive about $1234 ,after Medicare can I work and make up to $800 a month.

Ron Hovey (not verified)
Mon, 09/11/2017 - 13:52 Permalink

In 2012 I contacted one of my senators and asked how much the federal government owed social security.Senator Shelby wrote back in a letter and said 2.6 trillion dollars.I also found out that the federal government paid back 5 billion dollars in one year.At that rate it would take over 500 years to pay it back.So im asking since Senator Shelby refuses to tell me again what is the current amount the federal government owes social security as of September 2017.And also what is the latest amount the federalgovernment has paid back social security.Thanks

Bryan

In reply to by Ron Hovey (not verified)

Mon, 09/11/2017 - 14:30 Permalink

Hi there,
As of 2014, the amount that the federal government has borrowed is 2.8 trillion dollars. I really could not say how much the federal government has repaid.

Ron Hovey (not verified)
Mon, 09/11/2017 - 14:06 Permalink

My second and final question is the federal government has used social security for other things besides social security.Number one-are they still doing this?And number 2 isn't this a Ponzi scheme?Bernie Madoff received 150 years for his Ponzi scheme and rightly so.

Bryan

In reply to by Ron Hovey (not verified)

Mon, 09/11/2017 - 14:32 Permalink

Hi Ron,
I really could not say on both counts, we are not affiliated with the federal government or the SSA and as such we do not have detailed records of their accounts.

Add new comment