You are here

How many hours can you work if on disability

748 posts / 0 new
Last post
Anonymous
How many hours a week can l

How many hours a week can l work without it affecting my social security. If l make minimum wage and work 8am to 3pm

Hi There,

Hi There,

There is no limit for hours of work. Your monthly income cannot exceed the 2017 SGA monthly limit.

Sarah
Is child support figured into

Is child support figured into the $1070/monthly limit?

Hi Sarah,

Hi Sarah,
You may want to contact a local SSA for more information about this, but child support may be considered unearned income and so may not contribute to the earned income limit for SSDI benefits.

Jason Bauerle
I get disability. How many

I get disability. How many total hours a month can a person work before they lose their disability.

Jason Bauerle
I get disability. How many

I get disability. How many total hours a month can a person work before they lose their disability.

Hi Jason,

Hi Jason,
There are no set amount of hours someone can work, but if you receive SSDI you may be able to earn up to $840 a month without a change to your benefits.

Roy Barnes
How many hours can I work if

How many hours can I work if on disability?

Hi Roy,

Hi Roy,

There is no limit for hours of work. Your monthly income cannot exceed the 2017 SGA monthly limit.

Klei
And what is that? The 2017

And what is that? The 2017 SGA Monthly limit?

Hi There,

Hi There,
o be eligible for disability benefits, a person must be unable to engage in substantial gainful activity (SGA). A person who is earning more than a certain monthly amount (net of impairment-related work expenses) is ordinarily considered to be engaging in SGA. The amount of monthly earnings considered as SGA depends on the nature of a person's disability.

Darlene
How do I calculate the hours

How do I calculate the hours and the amount that I am able to make while I am on disability. is there a chart that I can go by to calculate myself.

Hi Darlene,

Hi Darlene,
A person on SSDI benefits can make up to $840 a month without changes to their benefits. There is not set limit for hours worked.

Darlene
If I can earn $840 while on

If I can earn $840 while on SSD without charges will the amount of $1,070 be a charge? And how much would that be as a penalty? Also could that amount cause me to lose my benefits ?

Hi Darlene,

Hi Darlene,
You may not be criminally charged for earning over the SSA's limit for SSDI earned income. In fact, they encourage people to return to work from SSDI benefits.

Michelle
If I am SDI with my employer-

If I am SDI with my employer- due to maternity leave, will I be able to work part time as an independent contractor else where?

Hi Michelle,

Hi Michelle,
I really could not say as that would be something your employer's short term disability policy would specify. You may want to contact the company that administers that policy.

Jay
I am a little confused with

I am a little confused with seeing to different amounts allowed to be made on SSDI
840 or 1170 per month I thought you were allowed to make up to 1170 per month without jeopardizing your benefits. Where does 840 play into the equation.

Hi Jay,

Hi Jay,
$1,170 is the figure that the SSA calls Substantial Gainful Activity - this is the number that they use to determine if your condition is disabling enough to qualify for benefits. If you are unable to earn over this number and have a condition that qualifies, you may qualify for benefits.
$840 is the amount that you would be able to earn on SSDI without changes to your benefits. If you earn over this, then the SSA may start interpreting this as an attempt on your part to return to the work force. you can find out some more information here:
http://www.disability-benefits-help.org/blog/trial-work-period-rules

mindy jill pierce
how many hours a week or how

how many hours a week or how much money per month can I get if collecting disability?

HI Mindy,

HI Mindy,
It really depends on the benefits that you are receiving. You may want to contact the SSA for information based on your own benefits.

Nita
What if your work 20 hr.but

What if your work 20 hr.but its answer a phone. For. Reservation

Hi Nita,

Hi Nita,
You may want to contact the SSA to let them know you are working and how much you are earning.

Diane
I get 938 monthly can i work

I get 938 monthly can i work two days a week at McDonald's

Hi Diane,

Hi Diane,
If you're receiving benefits based on your income, then your benefits would be reduced by about one dollar for every two that you earn.

Annonimous
I'm currently receiving

I'm currently receiving SSI benefits for disability and working. My question is how will my SSI check be affected if I go over the allowed SGA amount?

Hi there,

Hi there,
You would have a reduction in benefits of one dollar for every two that you earn.

Kareem powell
I get 30$ aday on my job

I get 30$ aday on my job working part time 3 hours a day my ssi check stoped im lost what did i do wrong i told the ticket to work people i reported my erning to them and my hours job location and all should they have told ssi like i asked or what happens next

Hi Kareem,

Hi Kareem,
I really could not say, you may want to contact your local SSA office as they would have detailed info about your case.

paul
Hy there I'm on

Hy there I'm on disability drowning 930. A mount my family and my med is really hard to get by there a job I can do makes 250 a week self Contracting. Just doing clean up around. Will this hurt me if I'm goring to do it on a 1099

Hi Paul,

Hi Paul,

If your monthly income does not exceed the SGA limit then you should be okay.

Bill
I'm on social security

I'm on social security disability and now started working. I earn $816 per month. Is this amount changing my benefit amount or causing problems?

Hi Bill,

Hi Bill,

It shouldn't be causing problems do your monthly account since it is below the 2017 SGA monthly limit, but if it is causing problems you should contact the SSA at 1-800-772-1213.

Anonymous
I receive ssi and I'm

I receive ssi and I'm 100 percent disabled how many hours can I work in a week

Hi There,

Hi There,

There is no limit to the amount of hours you can work, it cannot exceed the 2017 SGA monthly limit.

austin
i am totally disabled due to

i am totally disabled due to having ausburgers desiese...can i work part time 4 hours a day without it affecting my social security?

Hi Austin,

Hi Austin,
You may be able to do so, but it's a good idea to contact the SSA regarding this as they would have specific details about your case, so that you can plan based on that.

bill
i am totally disabled and am

i am totally disabled and am on ssi since 1994....with the slow increase in ssi increases i have nothing left at the end of the month ...the v.a. (i am a veteran) has offered to let me apply for low income v.a. payments to help supplement my ssi earnings so that i have a little left over each month will this affect my ssi payments ?

Hi Bill,

Hi Bill,
It may as SSI benefits are based on income and as such are reduced about one dollar for every two that you earn. However, you may also have an increase in income overall as you are eligible for both benefits.

Berry
Does SSDI contact the IRS

Does SSDI contact the IRS about the money you bring in, and what if the employer pays cash?

Hi Berry,

Hi Berry,
If you are paid in cash, you may want to contact the SSA regarding this as you may be required to report this money.

Beckt
I'm on early retirement

I'm on early retirement and disability and working part time how many hours per week can I work

Hi There,

Hi There,

There is no limit to the amount of hours you can work, your monthly income cannot exceed the 2017 SGA limit.

Cheryl Henson
I been working last 7 years

I been working last 7 years receive disability never went over have never had an issue If this helps! There is five weeks four times a year that I have cut my hours back for those five weeks! If this helps !

alice
while on ssd, can I work

while on ssd, can I work 15hrs a week and still collect my ssd

Hi Alice,

Hi Alice,
You may be able to, but it's a good idea to check in with the SSA before making any life changes that could affect your benefits as they would be able to give you specific information about your case.

krystal
Hello, I have been disabled

Hello, I have been disabled since 2016 October. I am still under doctors care and on SDI. I work 2 days a week at 4 hours a day. I will of exhausted my disability payment at end of October. I have lumbar disk disease, cervical neuralgia, cervical stenosis , cervical spondylosis and carpal tunnel carpal tunnel disease. I was told to apply for SS disability. I want to know do I apply now or wait till after I receive my last payment from State Disability. Thank You.

Hi Krystal,

Hi Krystal,
If you are already receiving disability in your state, you may want to apply for benefits now.

jimmy m
question my girlfriend

question my girlfriend receives SSI (not SSDI) for her daughter $735/month, Now is she able to work without losing the $735/month? If so is there a hour or max amount she can work/earn working per month?

Hi Jimmy,

Hi Jimmy,
Your girlfriend's daughter's benefits are based off of her mother's income, so if she has a change in income, your girlfriend's daughter's benefits may change based off of that.

Pages

Add new comment