You are here

How many hours can you work if on disability

754 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi Edith,

Hi Edith,
There's no set limit for earnings, but the SSA will reduce your benefit one dollar for every two that you earn.

E
If i draw 733.00 a month and

If i draw 733.00 a month and thats all my income and my house brakes me how much can i earn if im on ssi

Hi there,

Hi there,
I really could not say, but the SSA may reduce your income one dollar for every two that you earn.

Ragga
Hello,

Hello,
If you are given a 1099 at the end of year and not a W2, how does SSDI determine if you are under the monthly allowable income limit for that year? I am blind.

Thanks

Hi Ragga,

Hi Ragga,
You would need to self-report your income to the SSA.

Mac
In that trial period..can you

In that trial period..can you work as much as you want..and it dosent interfare with your s.s d.i...over the trial period

That's true, but if you earn

That's true, but if you earn higher than SGA ($1,170/month) consistently, you will no longer qualify for SSDI.

john N
I want to try and work again,

I want to try and work again, part time. but im afraid ill lose my benefits?

Hi John,

Hi John,

The number of hours you work does not matter. You cannot work at a job in which you make above the substantial gainful activity (SGA) amount. The SGA amount for 2017 is $1,170 per month.
Best Wishes,
Eric

Jean
I have a client that is

I have a client that is receiving SSD and SSI a college student who is eligible for work-study is there a staff person that can tell her how much she can earn under work-study and NOT be penalized or pay back any of her SSD or SSI benefits? The red book was very vague and not helpful. Thank you for any assistance you can give us or staff that can answer this for us.

Anonymous
How much more money can you

How much more money can you make if you draw ssdi

Hello,

Hello,

It cannot exceed the 2017 SGA amount ($1,170/Month)

Thank you,
Eric

Thomas
I just got disability but I

I just got disability but I am working self-employed as a lift driver so how does my income being determined I am making about $50 to 150 a week but with expenses less. Is there a time limit on how long months or years if you're working couple hours a day if that that take you off or take me off disability

Hi Thomas,

Hi Thomas,
It cannot exceed the 2017 SGA amount ($1,170/Month)
Best Wishes,
Eric

mh
A person has been on ssdi for

A person has been on ssdi for over 17 yrs. Was a factory worker for 20 yrs. Disabled due to obesity and Lyme disease. Church wants to have him as interim temporary pastor where salary would be $600 per month working approximately 8-10 hrs per week. Still has original health issues plus now a cardiac patient. Would this affect his benefits. We are no longer able to pay our health insurance, bills and mortgage payments. Could he lose his benefits? This type of work doesn't have any connection to why he couldn't work at his previous vocation. Thanks!

Hello,

Hello,

Whatever his income is, it cannot exceed the 2017 SGA amount ($1,170/Month).

Best Wishes,
Eric

Me
I have been working partime

I have been working partime for the first time able to. 2009 began recievibg my ssd I didn't take in account the 5 weeks in this month of December and I'm going over the 1170 by 150 bucks. I'm scared I did not mean for that to happen.

Hi there,

Hi there,
Don't worry! You may not have a change it benefits, but it'd be a good idea to contact the SSA regarding this.

Anonymous
How much can I make and

How much can I make and receive SSI

Hello,

Hello,

You can work and receive SSI benefits as long as your wages and other resources do not exceed the SSA’s income limit for SSI; however, your monthly benefit amount will be reduced in proportion to your income.

Best Wishes,
Eric

Lorraine
I'm on disability. I

I'm on disability. I want to try working a few hours a day not to exceed SGA of $1170..Will my employer be required to take and match social security deductions?

Hi Lorraine,

Hi Lorraine,
Yes, your employer may be required to match FICA deductions.

Connie
Hi:

Hi:
I'm receiving 1359 per month SSD hpw much can I make per month without losing my benefits?

Hi Connie,

Hi Connie,
The number of hours you work does not matter. You cannot work at a job in which you make above the substantial gainful activity (SGA) amount. The SGA amount for 2017 is $1,170 per month.
Best Wishes,
Eric

Tonya
I get ssdi and i work 30 hrs

I get ssdi and i work 30 hrs a week and my disability check is a 1012 but get paid bi weekly will that affect my benefits

Hi Tonya,

Hi Tonya,
Best Wishes,
Eric

shakara
how many hours are you

how many hours are you allowed to work while your recieving ssi

Hi Shakara,

Hi Shakara,
Best Wishes,
Eric

Marcia
How much money can I make in

How much money can I make in a month without losing my disability payments. Is this amount before or after taxes.

Hi Marcia,

Hi Marcia,
The SGA amount for 2017 is $1,170 per month.
Best Wishes,
Eric

helen
I'm on I'm on

I'm on I'm on disability and wanting to no when I can get on Medicare? Been on about 2 yrs. And I want to try to work but I have allot of problems with my legs and depression. Can I try and not lose my benefits

Hi Helen,

Hi Helen,
Disabled people who are approved for Social Security disability insurance (SSDI) benefits will receive Medicare. However, SSDI recipients aren't eligible to receive Medicare benefits until two years after their date of entitlement.
Best Wishes,
Eric

Anonymous
When on disability is the

When on disability is the $1070.00 maximum gross based on an weekly amount or a monthly average?

HI there,

HI there,
If you're on SSDI benefits, SGA would be considered $1,170 a month in 2017, it was $1070 a month in 2016.

Laura
Is the $1170 for 2017 net or

Is the $1170 for 2017 net or gross pay from a job? thank you !

Hi Laura,

Hi Laura,
that $1170 figure would be for gross income.

Patrick
Hi there,

Hi there,

If you're on SSDI benefits, and are able to work and earn less than $1,170 a month, are you going to be allowed to work under the threshold indefinitely?

Hi Patrick,

Hi Patrick,
Unfortunately, that $1170 figure is the amount that the SSA sets to determine if you can do Substantial Gainful Activity, it is not the limit that the SSA sets for income for SSDI recipients. If you earn over $840 a month, you may be subject to the trial work period rules. You can find some more information here:
http://www.disability-benefits-help.org/blog/trial-work-period-rules

George House
I work at McDonald's pt

I work at McDonald's pt I went to know how many hr sure I work

Hi George,

Hi George,
I really could not say as I am unsure what you are asking. You may want to contact your local SSA office regarding this, you can find a listing of them here:
http://www.disability-benefits-help.org/content/social-security-disabili...

Katie
I am on reduced work hours

I am on reduced work hours and fill out the form with my hours that I work every two week. How are these hours verified? My employer has only received the initial form asking how many hours I worked prior to my disability. Is there no verification?

Hi Katie,

Hi Katie,

I would recommend speaking to a SSA representative regarding this:1-800-772-121

Best of Luck,
Eric

robert
can i work while drawing a

can i work while drawing a disibilty check of $1070. per mounth without losing some or all my disibilty benifets? or is there a limit?

Hi Robert,

Hi Robert,

You may be able to work but your monthly income cannot exceed $1,070.

Best Wishes,
Eric

tammy
I receive 800 on my ssid how

I receive 800 on my ssid how much could I make in a month

Hi Tammy,

Hi Tammy,
I really could not say, however if you made less that $840 a month you may have no change in SSDI benefits.

Anonymous
If I work part time will they

If I work part time will they take money out of my check

Hi there,

Hi there,
If you're receiving SSI benefits, they may reduce your check one dollar for every two that you earn.

Darryl
U am on Ssdi and I wanna work

U am on Ssdi and I wanna work how much can I make

Hi Darryl,

Hi Darryl,
You may be able to make up to $840 a month without affecting SSDI benefits.

Pages

Add new comment