You are here

How many hours can you work if on disability

756 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi Anna,

Hi Anna,
I really could not say, but your SSI benefits may be reduced one dollar for every two that you earn.

Patty
I'm on ssdi. What is the

I'm on ssdi. What is the income limit you can earn per month with out losing benefits?
How is the earnings determined per month.. is it the 1st day of the month thru the last day of the month?
Who or do I contact if working a few hours a month?

HI Patty,

HI Patty,

You may be able to earn up to $840 a month without affecting your benefits, you can find more information about the trial work period here:
https://www.disability-benefits-help.org/blog/trial-work-period-rules

Joe
Hi can I lose my SSDI if I

Hi can I lose my SSDI if I stay under the $1070 monthly limit but reach the 36 month mark?

You may want to contact your

You may want to contact your local SSA office regarding this, you can find a listing of local offices here:
https://www.disability-benefits-help.org/content/social-security-disabil...

Margaret
How is monthly income

How is monthly income determined while on ssdi? Is it by when you get your paycheck? if your check is paid in May but you worked at the end of April/beginning of May? Is that considered all in May?

Hi Margaret,

Hi Margaret,

With any specific questions regarding monthly, I would recommend speaking to a SSA representative. 1-800-772-1213.

Theresa
I'm on disability and

I'm on disability and wanting to see if i can work. It' only 20 hrs a week it will only be about $140 a week

Hi Theresa,

Hi Theresa,

As long as your monthly income doesn't exceed the 2017 SGA limit you will be okay.

Margaret
The sga is 1,170. What if you

The sga is 1,170. What if you make 1,170.35 in a month. Do they just use while numbers?

willie
I have a wife that is on SSI

I have a wife that is on SSI I make $12 an hour and my wife wants to work part-time making $9 an hour how will that affect her SSI

HI Willie,

HI Willie,
Generally SSI benefits are reduced one dollar for every two that you earn.

Ann
How many hrs a week can I

How many hrs a week can I work,while on SSID,without loosing my SSID?

Hi Ann,

Hi Ann,

There is no limit to amount of hours you can work. As long as your monthly income doesn't exceed the 2017 SGA limit you will be okay.

Anonymous
100 percent disabled but want

100 percent disabled but want to work. How many days can I work in a year?

HI there,

HI there,
there is no set limit for amount of time you can work, but your benefits may be affected if you earn over $850 a month.

Anonymous
Receiving 2000 dollars from

Receiving 2000 dollars from TRS because 100 % DISABLED. Can I still work and how many days or how much can I earn without loosing Trs benefits?

Hi there,

Hi there,
you may want to contact TRS regarding this as they may have guidelines that differ from the SSA's disability guidelines.

Mary
If you are receiving ssd

If you are receiving ssd when you turn 62 are you converted to regular social security?

Hi Mary,

Hi Mary,
You may, however your benefits amount may not change when your benefits convert to retirement.

Lilly
I'm 63 & have been

I'm 63 & have been on ssdi for the last 5 years.
I've have paid $509.00@ mo.for Spend-Down, I'm now receiving Medicare Pt.B, it's costing me $174.20 @ Mo., & the HR Dpt.for Medicaid says I'm not eligible to receive assistance in paying my Part B, and they expect me to now pay $513.00 for Spend-Down. This would leave me with less than those receiving SSI after paying rent and I don't get Snap benefits. HR states their budget goes by the Gross AMT. I receive, are they right? I take quite a bit of med's and suffer from Major Depression as well. I'm alone with no other assistance. I'm going to have to go back to work but I don't know how long I'll last.Do you have any suggestions?

Hi Lilly,

Hi Lilly,
I'm sorry to hear about that! You may want to contact the SSA regarding this as they may be able to help you with your Medicare premiums.

Anonymous
Hi I was wondering how many

Hi I was wondering how many hours per week you can work, they told me before but I cant remember and not waiting 2 hours on the phone for a reply. Please and thank you

Hi there,

Hi there,
There is no set amount of hours that you can work while on disability, depending on what benefits you receive the amount of money you can make per month varies.

Rick
Im on SSDI So if I

Im on SSDI So if I understand correctly, I could work part time making $500 a month and it would not affect my Benefits?

Hi Rick,

Hi Rick,
It may not affect your benefits, but you may want to contact the SSA regarding this.

Baby girl
I was told that you could at

I was told that you could at least make $1,031 a month far as gross is that true on SSI

Hi there,

Hi there,
You can theoretically, but your SSI payments will be reduced and you'll trigger a trial work period. If you consistently earn that income you'll lose your benefits.

Lee Kitzmiller
How much money am I allowed

How much money am I allowed to make on social security disability is it $840 a month or is it the $1170 a month.

Hi Lee,

Hi Lee,
In 2018, you would be able to earn up to $850 a month without affecting your benefits.

Rodney van conerly
How meny hours can we work on

How meny hours can we work on ssi

Hi Rodney,

Hi Rodney,

There is no limit to the amount of hours you can work.

Christy L. Alle...
How many hours could I work a

How many hours could I work a month-- I don't want to loose disability

Hi There,

Hi There,

There is no limit to the amount hours you can work. Your monthly income cannot exceed the 2018 SGA limit.

Anonymous
I recieve $735 a month

I recieve $735 a month disability, if I want to work part time how much can I make without affecting my check

Hi there,

Hi there,
That would depend on which benefit you receive. You may want to contact your local SSA office regarding this.

james
I get 910.00 a month from ssi

I get 910.00 a month from ssi how much can make without it touching my bennifits

Hi James,

Hi James,

Your monthly income cannot exceed the 2018 SGA limit.

Mindy
I recently was approved for s

I recently was approved for s.s.d.. the amount is low but I also get community property from my ex of 23 years. This equation is only 724.
Can't live on this.
I can't figure out if total income of working p/ t and the 724. Can't exceed the 1170.00 a month????

Hi Mindy, You may want to

Hi Mindy, You may want to speak with the SSA regarding this as they would have detailed information about your case. You can contact them by calling 1-800-772-1213.

Pamala Hills
Hi

Hi
My name is Pamala my question is many hours in every week I can work and how much taxes take out of ssi every month

You may be able to earn up to

You may be able to earn up to $840 a month without affecting your benefits if you are on SSDI , you can find more information about the trial work period here:
https://www.disability-benefits-help.org/blog/trial-work-period-rules
For SSI, you would have a reduction of one dollar for every two that you earn.

Janine
I get 231 I'm SSI and

I get 231 I'm SSI and 522 in SSD I may start a baby sitting job and will be getting 400$a month will I lose any of my benefits

Hi Janine,

Hi Janine,

If your monthly income exceeds the 2018 SGA limit it could.

Anonymous
My sister get Disability and

My sister get Disability and she makes over 30,000 a year at another job, isnt that fraud?

It could be because she is

It could be because she is not reporting additional income to the SSA.

Arleen
Been on disability since

Been on disability since 2013 and I am now able to have more mobility in my body now, but not sure if this will be permanent. Hoping it will be. How many hours could i work per week...?

Hi Arleen,

Hi Arleen,

The amount of hours don't matter your monthly income cannot exceed the 2018 SGA limit.

Jill
Am trying to get my

Am trying to get my disability and am thinking of working part time will it stop me from from get it

Hi Jill,

Hi Jill,

It only will if your monthly income exceeds the 2018 SGA limit.

Pages

Add new comment