Qualifying children

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on

I have children and their father has recently went for a hearing is waiting on a decision. I was told that the kids will qualify for benefits. I have several questions.
How is the amount determined?
What are the rules for the cutoff age to recieve benefits?
Do the children recieve back pay as well?
What steps if any do I need to take to set up their case?
If a child is 18 but still in high school do they qualify, and for how long?

Cindy (not verified)
Fri, 12/08/2017 - 20:03 Permalink

My question is my son has cancer got on disability. Ok now he has full joint custody, no one has primary. They pay neither anyrhing to each other. Full half n half on time and he supports her on his time as she does. Well she searched n found out the child can draw off his disability. It's very low but because she has her half time she signed her up n now thinks half of the childs part is hers every month. Yes she has her half but gov dnt do halves. My question isn't her taking half considered child support? N gov don't get involved in custody battles and because she's legal guardian too they allowed her to sign her up. This is crazy to me.

Bryan

In reply to by Cindy (not verified)

Mon, 12/11/2017 - 13:29 Permalink

Hi there,
I really could not comment on what would be considered child support, but those benefits are intended for the child's welfare and upkeep. You may want to consult your state's laws on child support, as they can vary by state.

Bj (not verified)
Sun, 12/10/2017 - 17:48 Permalink

My kids father gets disability and he told me the kids will get a check and for me to open them an account. It's been a year and nothing yet? I went down to the social security office and they asked where th kids lived and I said with me... they told me that they can't tell me anything but they did tell me that he put him self as the payee. Is he getting there money and what can I do?

Anonymous (not verified)
Mon, 12/11/2017 - 06:37 Permalink

My daughter has won her case for disability. She also is getting SSI will her 2 daughters automatically get a check or will she have to apply for them they are 13 & 16

Kevin Jones sr (not verified)
Tue, 12/12/2017 - 19:37 Permalink

My twin sons were abused by their mother and cps took them from the mom dec of 2017 and was temporary court awarded to the state of michigan. Cps contacted me and basicallybi finished everyrhing and the courts gave me my children. I was told to go to ssa along with my court papers so that i can become the new payee. My question is when My sons became temp court warded were their benefits saved up during the time they were in foster care and will receive back pay concerning my childrens benefits?

Deanna

In reply to by Kevin Jones sr (not verified)

Wed, 12/13/2017 - 08:31 Permalink

I am so sorry to hear that Kevin. It's hard to know--their mother may have been receiving the payments. If she was, you can report this to the SSA and she'll need to return them to you.

Curious (not verified)
Tue, 12/12/2017 - 23:38 Permalink

Im on disability and i just find out i was pregnant, will my child receive benefits too?

Deanna

In reply to by Curious (not verified)

Wed, 12/13/2017 - 08:31 Permalink

Hi there,
Yes she can! A child can receive up to 50% of your benefits on top of your monthly payments, so long as you're on SSDI.

Michael (not verified)
Wed, 12/13/2017 - 15:14 Permalink

I am collecting Social Security disability my son is collecting also!!! When he turns 18 will he get back pay from date of birth? He has severe autism !!!
autism is turning 18 will he get backpay from the day he was born if he is so security disability

Eric

In reply to by Michael (not verified)

Thu, 12/14/2017 - 09:03 Permalink

Hi Michael,

Your son would be eligible for backpay from the date in which he initially applied for benefits..

Anonymous (not verified)
Wed, 12/13/2017 - 15:44 Permalink

I have a 26 yr daughter tgat receives an ssi check. Her mother was given guardianship , and is now still wanting child support. My question is does she have the right to child support. Thank you

Bryan

In reply to by Anonymous (not verified)

Thu, 12/14/2017 - 13:32 Permalink

Hi there,
You would need to consult your state's laws on child support as the laws can vary by state.

Linda (not verified)
Wed, 12/13/2017 - 16:33 Permalink

My son receives SSI (since his 18. Birthday) because he is disabled, now his father just got SSI Disability and we got a letter from the SSI Administration saying we should apply for our son to have him get benefits under his father. I do not understand?

Bryan

In reply to by Linda (not verified)

Thu, 12/14/2017 - 13:33 Permalink

Hi Linda,
Your child may not be eligible for benefits based off of his father, however you may want to contact the SSA regarding this. You can call them at 1-800-772-1213.

Megan Garza (not verified)
Wed, 12/13/2017 - 17:24 Permalink

I have a question, my husband was awarded disability and my 5 year old receives benefits. But my husband has a 15 year old daughter but she has her step dad's last name and my husband is not on the birth certificate can she at I receive benefits? We did reports that he has 2 children in total under 18 years of age

Bryan

In reply to by Megan Garza (not verified)

Fri, 12/15/2017 - 14:52 Permalink

Hi Megan,
Generally, if a child can inherit property from the parent, the child may be eligible for benefits.

Jamie (not verified)
Wed, 12/13/2017 - 23:28 Permalink

My ex was recently approved for SSDI. I was told to go to the SS office to apply for benefits. I was awarded back child support from the child support office and 4 years of back auxiliary benefits for my son who is 9. The SS representative was aware that my ex also has a daughter from his current wife, but it was explained to me that this child was not named in the settlement ( he called it protected), so my son was awarded all of the benefits. Now my ex has come forward and named his daughter in this case. I am now receiving threatening letters from his attorney saying I have to pay back his daughters portion of 33 months ( because she is that old). He is also saying I have to pay back the back child support because I received it PLUS the auxiliary benefits ( which the SS office says are 2 seperate things). Will I be forced to pay back any money? None of this was my fault!

Bryan

In reply to by Jamie (not verified)

Thu, 12/14/2017 - 13:35 Permalink

Hi Jamie,
You may want to consult your state's laws regarding this as they can vary, you may still be obligated to adhere to any agreements you had made during your divorce. However, I could not say if you would be obligated to pay that money.

Add new comment

Find Out If I Qualify for Benefits!