Qualifying children

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on

I have children and their father has recently went for a hearing is waiting on a decision. I was told that the kids will qualify for benefits. I have several questions.
How is the amount determined?
What are the rules for the cutoff age to recieve benefits?
Do the children recieve back pay as well?
What steps if any do I need to take to set up their case?
If a child is 18 but still in high school do they qualify, and for how long?

Jeneva (not verified)
Thu, 12/14/2017 - 20:28 Permalink

My daughter is drawing social security from her dad but she will b 18 next year if she is still I. School will she still be able to draw the social security check as long as she is still in school?

Bryan

In reply to by Jeneva (not verified)

Mon, 12/18/2017 - 15:18 Permalink

Hi Jeneva,
Your child may not be eligible for benefits past age 18. You may want to contact the SSA regarding this.

Anonymous (not verified)
Sat, 12/16/2017 - 04:57 Permalink

My son who is 15 currently receives SSI, if he moves temporarily to his father's, do I have to report stop payment? Or since he will only be there 4 months can I keep receiving it for him?

Bryan

In reply to by Anonymous (not verified)

Tue, 12/19/2017 - 12:04 Permalink

Hi there,
You may not need to, however you must be able to provide those funds for your child's upkeep during that time.

Samatha (not verified)
Tue, 12/19/2017 - 14:25 Permalink

If my ex files for SSI will he have to prove he has custody of the kids, even though I do?

Deanna

In reply to by Samatha (not verified)

Tue, 12/19/2017 - 15:40 Permalink

Hi Samantha,
That actually won't be very relevant for SSI benefits because the children aren't eligible for additional resources.

cyn (not verified)
Thu, 12/21/2017 - 12:35 Permalink

I just received my dissability, I have legal guardianship of 2 grandchildren.I called social security office and was told that I need to adopt my grandkids for them to receive benefits,this is in Virginia,if that matters.Is this true?or do I need to pursue further

Bryan

In reply to by cyn (not verified)

Tue, 12/26/2017 - 12:06 Permalink

Hi there,
Yes, you may need to adopt them for them to be eligible for benefits based on your work record.

Yolanda (not verified)
Fri, 12/22/2017 - 00:25 Permalink

Will my ssi stop if I start receiving adult child insurance benefits

Lorren (not verified)
Sat, 12/23/2017 - 10:54 Permalink

I have two step kids who was receiving benefits through there step dad since 2012. I find out through the welfare because they kept including the income and I was unaware that they were receiving benefits I then find out that it was true and my husband the kids father and I reported a fraud and they stop all payments and add him as a representive payee. this has been a little over a year. How long does it take to get a determination

Deborah Stephenson (not verified)
Wed, 12/27/2017 - 10:21 Permalink

Hello. My Ex receives benefits can i apply for back pay benefits for our kids or does he have to apply for them? Thank you

Shanna (not verified)
Thu, 12/28/2017 - 02:49 Permalink

What if my son's father collects a disability check every month and has for 10 years but won't do anything to help see if my son is able to get the financial help due to him (disabled father) being on disability. The farther tells me he collects disability through a private company (etna) and it's not ssd at all?? I don't believe that. He just thinks he'll get garnishment for the inquiry. Any ideas?? Please and thank you!! :)

Camille (not verified)
Fri, 12/29/2017 - 18:14 Permalink

Camille,. Hi I just received a fully favorable decision at the hearing level.Its been 2years I have 3 dependants under 18.Is there back pay calculated into mine or will it be separate?

Bryan

In reply to by Camille (not verified)

Wed, 01/03/2018 - 13:49 Permalink

Hi Camille,
You may receive any back pay to dependents in separate payments.

True M. (not verified)
Wed, 01/03/2018 - 20:55 Permalink

I asked this 2 days ago but it has not been posted so I’m going to try again .
My husband became multi handicapped blind in 2007 . We had legal custody of our 6 year old grandson since he was 3 . My husbands SSDI was fast tracked and he got it in 6 months but I was told our grandson did not qualify . We adopted him at the age of 10 and after I completed paperwork and an interview he began receiving ssdi dependent benefits . His benefit was super small . My husband turned 66 this month and is being transferred to SS benefits next month . Today I got a letter from Social Security that says “We changed (insert our sons name here) monthly benefit to 433.60 as of January 2018 .We found that his prior amount was incorrect”
Okay , wow it’s great that he will be getting more than double what he has been getting for the last 7 years ! But the letter mentions nothing about them paying the back amount he Should have been getting all these years ?! Will he get it automatically? He turns 18 in exactly 9 months and his benefits will end then .

Deanna

In reply to by True M. (not verified)

Thu, 01/04/2018 - 14:35 Permalink

Hi there,
I am sorry to hear that! It sounds like he should be entitled to back pay. You can actually see if you have any pending payments by visiting your account on your My SSA profile. You can do so on www.ssa .gov

Add new comment

Find Out If I Qualify for Benefits!