Qualifying children

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on

I have children and their father has recently went for a hearing is waiting on a decision. I was told that the kids will qualify for benefits. I have several questions.
How is the amount determined?
What are the rules for the cutoff age to recieve benefits?
Do the children recieve back pay as well?
What steps if any do I need to take to set up their case?
If a child is 18 but still in high school do they qualify, and for how long?

Danni (not verified)
Thu, 11/30/2017 - 23:30 Permalink

My 7yr old son's father is behind child support 3800..he said he's filing for disability his knee bone will fallout while he's walking he said.. I have a court order for 435 per month he's 44 he worked about 20 yrs will I get my back support when he get his? And would my son get a check?

Deanna

In reply to by Danni (not verified)

Fri, 12/01/2017 - 12:50 Permalink

I'm sorry to hear that Danni. Unfortunately I don't have a good answer for you--Child Services determines how child support is paid. It's possible he'll have to use his SSDI payments on your behalf, but it's also possible he won't.

ANONYMOUS (not verified)
Fri, 12/01/2017 - 01:07 Permalink

CAN AN UNWED MOTHER FILE FOR AUXILLARY BENEFITS UNDER CHILD'S FATHER'S SSD?

Serwanna (not verified)
Fri, 12/01/2017 - 11:24 Permalink

Hello I'm just wanting to know that if my baby father get disability, cause of a hip injury he can't work. So he has court ordered child support could she receive anything or how do I go by her getting something?

Deanna

In reply to by Serwanna (not verified)

Fri, 12/01/2017 - 12:51 Permalink

You could receive some child support if he is approved for disability, but that's up to Child Services, not the SSA. No matter what your child should be eligible for auxiliary benefits if he's approved.

Cindy (not verified)
Sat, 12/02/2017 - 15:12 Permalink

I have a 2 year old child. Her father gets ssdi..My child is eligible for benefits as well as back pay. One social security worker told me my child would get 2 years back pay and another one told me she would only get 1 year back pay...Does anybody know?

Bryan

In reply to by Cindy (not verified)

Mon, 12/04/2017 - 09:35 Permalink

Hi Cindy,
Your child may be eligible for back pay from the time your child's father was eligible for benefits.

Keasha Bellamy (not verified)
Sun, 12/03/2017 - 05:26 Permalink

My 24 year old son was disabled since he was a child, and he was receiving Dependant pay from my SSD, so my 8 year old son was only receiving half. My oldest son got a job over a year ago. He did the ticket to work, and last summer they stopped paying him the dependant pay. Shouldn't his part go to my 8 year old son, and if so what should I do? Everytime I call they give me the run around.

Maria Lopez (not verified)
Mon, 12/04/2017 - 13:00 Permalink

Hi I have been perm disabled for 6 years now and have been receiving benefits for my two children and I had a surgery to get fixed to void getting pregnant and I ended up getting pregnant. Can I submit benefits for my for last child?

anonymous (not verified)
Thu, 12/07/2017 - 12:24 Permalink

My 16 yr old daughter receives disability benefits via her father's disability. He and his girlfriend are having a baby soon. Will the birth of this baby affect the amount of my daughter's benefits?
I have never pursued child support as her father has not worked in many years so count on the monies per disability benefits to supplement.

Tessa (not verified)
Thu, 12/07/2017 - 16:59 Permalink

I have recently had a child with a man that has two other children in a separate home. Will there amount be lowered when I add the new child?

Rebecca Cooper (not verified)
Fri, 12/08/2017 - 08:26 Permalink

My husband and I adopted 4 kids 2yrs ago , 1 has graduated and left, I have three kids now, My husband and I are both disabled for years. The kids get money from dhhr, 600 a month each.plus a medicade card . I turned 65 and applied for spouse benefits from Social security , along with my monthly amount. I learned that the kids are eligable for social security from both of us . The kids can only get the 600. amount each month per adoption agreement , and the medicade card . I was told that the kids could get a year of back pay. if I accept the social security backpay and monthly amount , do the kids get to keep the medicade card ? And , do I pay dhhr back for the money that the kids have allready received , being the maxium amount stated in the adoption papers. Per the back pay ?

Deanna

In reply to by Rebecca Cooper (not verified)

Fri, 12/08/2017 - 08:33 Permalink

Hi Rebecca,
This is a very complicated question! I'm afraid I cannot be of much help--I'd consider directing this to your children's case worker or perhaps the SSA at 1-800-772-1213. Medicaid limits vary by state.

Lauren (not verified)
Fri, 12/08/2017 - 13:02 Permalink

I have a ten. -year-old child that was adopted when he was six months old I receive disability this child is still receiving half of my disability and I thought that when a child is adopted they no longer have rights to my disability money and I’m wondering why this child is still receiving a portion of my disability after he’s fully adopted does anybody have any advice or comments

Bryan

In reply to by Lauren (not verified)

Mon, 12/11/2017 - 13:25 Permalink

Hi Lauren,
You may want to contact the SSA regarding this, however a child may still be eligible for benefits even after adoption. In addition, there would be no change to your benefits if the child's benefits are terminated.

Add new comment

Find Out If I Qualify for Benefits!