how do I stop being representative payee?

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Mon, 07/01/2013 - 13:47

I have been my brother's re-payee(sp?) for several years and feel that he is more than capable of handling his own money. What is the process to change this arrangement?

Dolores Cano (not verified)
Tue, 10/10/2017 - 19:42 Permalink

I have been my daughters payee for a few years now .She's not very responsible with her money .Her daughter moved here from California and has been telling my daughter that she wants to be her payee . I found out she's been giving her daughter money . Fact is I'm done being responsible for her money what can I do to get out of being her payee?

Donna Stancil (not verified)
Sat, 10/14/2017 - 11:48 Permalink

How to I turn over the SS Payee representative to the Assisted Living/Nursing home that is caring for my brother since they take all of his check except 66 dollars which is used to pay for his medications and personal needs. He was determined SSMI almost two years ago after i took care of him for 10 years and his care became more than I could handle because of his personality disorder and self medicating.

Anonymous (not verified)
Sat, 10/14/2017 - 17:57 Permalink

When is the deadline for changing my payee and still receive check on time and does my current payee have to go to ss office to release me

Mel Morrissey (not verified)
Sat, 10/14/2017 - 23:27 Permalink

Does Social Security have people/ companies they can assign as payee? If no one else wants to do the job?


In reply to by Mel Morrissey (not verified)

Tue, 10/17/2017 - 09:13 Permalink

Hi Mel,

I am not sure about companies, but they can assign someone as a payee if there are no available options.

Ann johnson (not verified)
Wed, 11/01/2017 - 14:57 Permalink

Son get ssi. Was living w family friend.he die.son because homeless.they find place for him to live. Not he is trying to be a pain. Its a nice place to lived.nice people. He wants to hang w people who no good for him. Since his been at this new place .he looks much better. What to do if he keeps being a pain and not wanting to listen.


In reply to by Ann johnson (not verified)

Thu, 11/02/2017 - 09:37 Permalink

Hi Ann,

If you wish to stop being your son's representative payee, you have to schedule an appointment at your local SSA office.

Judith Soltess (not verified)
Thu, 11/02/2017 - 23:01 Permalink

I took over as a payee for My cousin His parents are other kin would do it..we had to pay back taxes..bills that were outstanding. .so he would have a roof over his head..I give him weekly money. .which he uses for drinking. Now has several people living in his home..that are saying to me send more money. They yell scream cuss..write me letters...more money..etc..he makes 790..a month. .bills come to around.. 600...back taxes are still being paid..for..he is on bridge card which we helped him get..taxes reduced. .medical..paper work..we do ..for the social feel I am being verbally abused. .I only tried to help. .we live 100 miles away..I make sure his bills are paid..he has a nurse from the state..that comes in..he can't car..nothing. .he drinks all the time..with the money I send him.spends. money for well..I can.not take his written verbal abuse..when I call him. .he yells so badly I have to hang up.the words are disgusting..I am as old as he is..67...what can I do.mi can't squeeze blood out if a husband and I have spent our own monies. He has had bed bugs 3 times in a year..we paid for that mess..


In reply to by Judith Soltess (not verified)

Mon, 11/06/2017 - 10:59 Permalink

Hi Judith,
If nobody is able to become a payee, the SSA will occasionally handle it with one of its own representatives. I'm sorry to hear that this has been such a challenge for you.

Judith Soltess (not verified)

In reply to by Deanna

Mon, 12/18/2017 - 16:37 Permalink

Can I just...close out his account..which has both of our names on it..he also has 2 other people...actually. ..Criminals with a with him for 3 months.they are on SSI....and get section 8 well...I know they are...not suppose to be there if they are getting assistance. ..if they give him money ..he will not be in if they would help any way.They get their mail at My cousins as well ...yes checks ...someone should be on this...that is fraud...getting their checks there when not a resident...we are tired..of them taking his money that I send weekly..they are all drunks...smokers and other drugs are being used in that..junker of a needs a new furnace. .the paperwork? ??Tired of doing all of this..we are over 100 miles away..tired of paying..his bills

Judy (not verified)
Sat, 11/04/2017 - 17:41 Permalink

I'm turning 66 this month and currently on social security disability. I also currently have a payee that was court appointed at the beginning of my payments. I no longer want a payee is there a form I can print out from social security to take to my doctor to fill out stating I am able to receive my own social security checks. I have feel I no longer need a payee.

Judy (not verified)
Sat, 11/04/2017 - 17:44 Permalink

I answered the question wrong for you. I have to get my doctor to feel out a form from social security stating I no longer need a payee. The also said I could get a court to confirm it. But they said there would be a chance he could loose his disability they told me that they feel if I could take care of my own check then I could also work.

Tiffany (not verified)
Thu, 11/09/2017 - 00:01 Permalink

What are possible questions will they ask if you no longer wish to be a representative payee


In reply to by Tiffany (not verified)

Fri, 11/10/2017 - 13:04 Permalink

Hi there,
they may want to know why, and if you have another person who is able to take over the payee status.

Katydid57 (not verified)
Fri, 11/24/2017 - 15:13 Permalink

I've been my grandsons payee and he has lived with me while his mom got her shut together. He is going to live with his mom in another state but I fear if she is his payee he won't be provided for. I've seen it with her step children. He is just a year shy of 18.


In reply to by Katydid57 (not verified)

Mon, 11/27/2017 - 10:31 Permalink

Hi there,
You may be able to retain payee status, but you may want to contact the SSA regarding this.

Anonymous (not verified)
Wed, 11/29/2017 - 15:54 Permalink

Can some who is on disability b someone else's payee


In reply to by Anonymous (not verified)

Thu, 11/30/2017 - 09:32 Permalink


It really depends on the circumstances, I would speak to a SSA representative for more information regarding that.

Scott (not verified)
Sat, 12/09/2017 - 08:52 Permalink

I was just appointed as personal representative for my stepmother, she is in a nursing home and I have no contact with her. My father has dementia and cannot serve as personal representative. I do not want to be her personal representative, what are my options?


In reply to by Scott (not verified)

Mon, 12/11/2017 - 13:30 Permalink

Hi Scott,
You may want to contact the SSA regarding this, you can contact them at 1-800-772-1213.

No name (not verified)
Tue, 01/02/2018 - 04:34 Permalink

Im disable my dads my payee but he move out of town i live with my 16 yr old daughter that takes care of me 247 can she be my payee

Deetta Cameron (not verified)
Wed, 01/03/2018 - 14:23 Permalink

I am my father in laws payee. I am now going though medical issues which is making it difficult to help him...does the state provide a payee service


In reply to by Deetta Cameron (not verified)

Wed, 01/03/2018 - 16:52 Permalink

Hi Deeta,

I am not sure about each individual state, but the SSA can assign another payee for him. You have to schedule an appointment at your local office.

Karen Blanco (not verified)
Thu, 01/04/2018 - 15:15 Permalink

My nephew is on SSDI he is moving from another state to come live with me. Currently he is living with his sister but she is abusive to him and he threatens to kill himself because of the abuse. She has taken all of his identification away from him. If a recipient has a payee and move to another state, how does the recipient change the payee without proper identification? Also when he moves to another state how long does it take to transfer his benefits to the new payee


In reply to by Karen Blanco (not verified)

Fri, 01/05/2018 - 15:09 Permalink

Hi Karen,
I'm sorry to hear about that! He may be able to have his payee re-assigned because of this, you may want to contact the SSA with him to have them start the ball rolling on re-assigning his payee for this reason.

Connie (not verified)
Fri, 01/05/2018 - 03:18 Permalink

How. Do I stop being payee for someone who is in jail. Will he co
to receive SSI While in jail?


In reply to by Connie (not verified)

Fri, 01/05/2018 - 11:11 Permalink

Hi Connie,
You can contact the SSA regarding that and they can start the process of transferring payee status to another person. The person that you're receiving benefits for may be ineligible for benefits while incarcerated.

Anon (not verified)
Sat, 01/13/2018 - 20:29 Permalink

I wanted my sister to be my payee only cause I needed an ID for the bank since I don't have one. I changed my mind since ei don't need a payee. She got a letter saying SSA denied her being my payee (which is what I wanted) but at the end is something about another payee. I never put another another payee, will I still be my own payee like I've always been?

Elizabeth (not verified)
Sun, 01/14/2018 - 19:49 Permalink

I have been receiving disability for over 17 years.After the first two years, I was appointed a payee I don't know and none of this was explained to me.This group acted in a very fraudulent manner and was finally removed last year.The problem is that social security appointed another payee I don't know without ever properly reviewing my case once. I know now it's the law that they review everyone's disability case and I'm sure they do,too. I don't know how to proceed at this point other than telling them to keep it and going on public assistance,as they don't want to make it possible for me to be my own payee as I truly should be.

Elizabeth (not verified)
Sun, 01/14/2018 - 19:57 Permalink

I believe SSA is probably breaking the law by not having my case reviewed once and insisting on sending my money to people that have no business with it.. and have no valid court order requiring such.


In reply to by Elizabeth (not verified)

Tue, 01/16/2018 - 11:24 Permalink

Hi Elizabeth,
If the SSA finds that you require a payee, they would assign one without a court order.

Anynonmous (not verified)
Sun, 01/14/2018 - 20:01 Permalink

If I don't need a payee and social security refuses to be reasonable and even obey the laws do I have any options? I have influence over no one.


In reply to by Anynonmous (not verified)

Mon, 01/15/2018 - 09:01 Permalink

Hi There,

I am sorry to hear that. Maybe schedule an appointment at your local SSA office and speak to someone from there.

Anonymous (not verified)
Wed, 01/17/2018 - 16:56 Permalink

My name is Virginia Payne I need to get out of being a payee from my ex husband !! Please help me!!!

Brenda (not verified)
Fri, 01/26/2018 - 17:26 Permalink

At age 17 are you old enough to manage your own SS Survivor benefits

Liz T. (not verified)
Fri, 02/02/2018 - 15:27 Permalink

I want to stop being my moms representative payee, how do I do that?what form do I need and where can I get it?

Ashley (not verified)
Mon, 02/05/2018 - 17:53 Permalink

My mother lives with me, she's on SSI and has a very bad gambling habit. She's incapable of managing her own account. How can I become her payee?


In reply to by Ashley (not verified)

Thu, 02/08/2018 - 11:57 Permalink

Hi Ashley,
The SSA would need to determine that your mother is incapable of handling her finances and would then require a payee, which she would need to name.

Add new comment